PDA

View Full Version : TL-1 demo (The Yellow Peril)

GlennGP
17-11-2013, 11:36 AM
Up front, I have to say I've been a bit intimidated by the playing skills of some of the other forum members who've put up videos. Then I asked myself "Hey, did I ever let a lack of skills prevent me from accepting payment from a producer who didn't care, as long as the punters were happy"? Hell no! So, here I am, warts and all, putting the Yellow Peril through its paces.

This is a TL-1 kit finished in Wudtone Goldenrod. Under the bonnet it's stock, apart from a tone fidelity circuit, a Sprague Orange Drop replacing the tone capacitor, and full copper shielding of the cavities. I've got a set of Ernie Ball Hybrid Slinky strings on (9, 11, 16, 26, 36, 46), which I find to be a nice balance between comfy and robust where it counts. The amp is a Squier Champ 15. All through this demo the volume is at a conservative "3", all other settings (treble, mid, bass and presence) are at 10. The room is all hard surfaces, so there's a bit of natural reverb in the sound to camera. When gain is used on the amp in the demo, it's a minimal 1.5. I do crank the gain up for a bit of metal sometimes, but I haven't demonstrated that here.

The pickup selection is noted in captions in the video. Please enjoy.

Oh, and also, for those who don't think their playing's up to much, just put it up. We want to hear the guitar, not judge your playing.

http://youtu.be/VQP5mdprkp0

Finally, my shirt says "browncoat".

AJ
17-11-2013, 12:06 PM
sounds great Glenn, well done matey. (Guess I will have to hire some one to demo mine...)

lawry
17-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Hey Glenn. Sounds fantastic. Thanks for posting it. Ain't it a buzz to play something you built?
I especially like the look of concentration on the Lego man critiquing your performance ;-)

GlennGP
17-11-2013, 11:12 PM
Yep, Lawry, it really is neat to be strumming away, trying to eke a bit more nuance out of the instrument, and then catch yourself thinking "hey, I built this!".

The Lego bloke is an excellent audience. Never a bad word from him.

stan
18-11-2013, 10:20 AM
Nice bright sound Glenn - very Tele!

First saw the neck bending as a work around for no trem by Tommy Emmanuel!

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Awesome job Glenn. Sounds great, looks great. You might be intimidated by the other gurus who have posted already, but I'm intimidated by you too ;). Great Tele, great job.

cheers,
Gavin.

GlennGP
19-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Ha, thanks Gavin!

I forgot to mention, I don't like playing sitting down. I used to only play seated, but then I spent a few years playing Christmas seasons for Dirty Dick's and I had to learn to play not just standing up, but running around (ain't wireless amazing?!) Now I feel weird playing seated.

Fretworn
19-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Is that "browncoat" as in Firefly?

wokkaboy
19-11-2013, 01:21 AM
well done Glenn, the yellow peril sounds great, good range of sounds. Glad the lego man was quiet.

GlennGP
19-11-2013, 02:27 AM
Fretworn - yes, I aim to misbehave.

Thanks Wokka, I'm really, really happy with this guitar.

DanMade
19-11-2013, 08:49 AM
Yep. Does what it says on the box, a classic twanger. Sounds great.

As for playing sitting/standing, I hardly ever play standing. So much so that the LP I built recently still doesn't have any strap buttons yet. One day.

Thank for sharing Glenn.

GlennGP
20-11-2013, 08:21 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from DanMade on November 18, 2013, 17:49
Yep. Does what it says on the box, a classic twanger. Sounds great.

Thanks Dan, kind of you to say so!

adam
20-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Very nice Doc. Those Em chords sounded authentically vintage Tele. I was suddenly in a Tarantino movie.