PDA

View Full Version : Regional Facebook Groups

pablopepper
13-11-2013, 11:24 PM
I had a thought last night, would like to know if anybody else thinks this is a good idea. With 700 odd members now this forum is becoming quite a scene, but being Australia wide (and international to some extent) there is a bit of facelessness to it. As a vast majority of you seem to be on Facebook, I was thinking maybe we could start up some regional groups. Whether these be state or city based I'm not really sure, for example, the Queensland Pitbull Builders or if there's enough interest the Brisbane version and the FNQ version etc.

My idea is to localise a little for those occasions when someone needs help and might not have the tools or experience to deal with it. It's one thing to ask advise though the forum, it would be something else entirely to be able to visit someone in your area who can offer physical help. This could also be a way of organising annual meets and promoting gigs and whatnot to people who might actually go rather than reading about it from the other side of the country.

This is by no means any sort of criticism of this forum and in no way meant to replace it, just thought I'd put it out there. Let me know what you all think.

Gavin1393
14-11-2013, 03:18 AM
DB and I will be relocating to outer Mongolia...

I'm not sure about fragmenting the forum or Facebook pages and information. All specials, information, forum assistance, etc. is disseminated through the current forum and Facebook pages and people would tend to miss out. Adding more pages requires additional administration from the four of us as well as trying to get the 'likes' up so that all the facilities and privileges are available to each sub-group.

However, that said. I am happy to collate a list of telephone numbers, States and Towns where existing members who are prepared to assist fellow PBG members with issues can be reached. I do think this is a great idea and a number of PErth folk have benefitted from access to DB and myself. So, If ANYONE with some skills would be interested in helping out a fellow PBG Builder then please email me 'gavmeister@pitbullguitars.com' the following information.

Your name, Your Town, Your State, Your contact Numbers, Area of Expertise, Your competency (Prof Luthier/ Hobbiest Luthier/ intermediate/ beginner), number of guitars built and confirmation that we can pass your details on to others who need help in your area.

I will then take this list to Adam to keep on file so that this great idea of Pablo's can become a reality.

pablopepper
14-11-2013, 05:03 AM
My intention was never to fragment only supplement. Maybe I didn't explain it as well as I could have, but I was not intending to create more work for you chaps at all. The facebook groups as I saw it would not be run by anyone in particular, maybe a local volunteer moderator, just a space to connect members in the same area with problems and possible solutions.

Gavin1393
14-11-2013, 05:57 AM
Your idea is a great one Pablo, so please don't think I was shooting it down.

In fact, in WA there are a number of us who get together to share knowledge, help each other out, beg, borrow but never steal each others equipment! Because Pit Bull Guitars prides itself on service and the willingness of the forum members to help one another out I can only see benefits in having something similar to what you have suggested. My thoughts and Adam may disagree, is that we set up something like a central register of people who are prepared to help others with their build. As part of our own quality control it is important for us to know if there is a manufacturing fault or if it is a builders issue.Hence the need to remain 'in-the-loop".

Already we experience situations where someone comes through to Adam with an issue that can potentially be resolved by someone with experience in that area, be it wiring, painting, etc. and if Adam can then refer that person to someone nearby who is willing to help we maintain a happy builder.

I am looking forward to reading Adam's thoughts on this.

Andyport
15-11-2013, 01:49 AM
I like this idea Gavin.
To have a list of possible contacts in your local area you can visit in person with a particular issue would be very beneficial. I'm sure there are many PBG members, who because of their day jobs, could offer wide and varied fields of expertise.
I suppose not only people in your local area either.
To be able to look through the list and contact someone directly with a problem specific to your build would be cool.
We know everyone by their forum names but not always do we know each others day jobs or expertise.

keloooe
15-11-2013, 02:14 AM
Gav, that idea is pretty good in my opinion!

stan
18-11-2013, 10:44 AM
great idea Gav

Gavin1393
18-11-2013, 11:08 AM
It's Pablo's idea....i just tweaked it!