PDA

View Full Version : Andys Build #3 : JR-1DC

Andyport
10-11-2013, 07:24 AM
First proper build diary for me. Usually just post once complete.

This is for my DC Junior eBay bargain...sorry Adam! 8O
Have decided to go with a vintage sunburst finish, haven't seen the DC with this finish only the standard shape junior...but what the heck, something different.
Jase just did a great job of the TV Yellow, so that was out, and having just finished my ES in Cherry, that was out too!

Checked the fit on the neck joint, scratch plate and pickup...all good!
Only problem I found was the right hand side tuning peg holes were considerably out, when compared to the left hand side. After taking measurements the actual headstock had been cut with slightly more timber on the right hand side. Fear not...trimmed off the excess, then shaped and sanded...all good!
Have attached before and after photos.

After basic sanding of the body I mixed up grain filler (Timbermate) and applied all over.
Hung and left to dry. Will madly sand tommorow.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/s8fq3-Headstock-1.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/3hw40-Headstock-2.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/32fx1-Grain-Filler.jpg

wokkaboy
10-11-2013, 07:36 AM
wow Andy well done with the workaround on the headstock and the shape looks very Gibson. What colour timbermate did you rub over the body ? Can I please borrow your ride on mower in the background, might make a boring chore more exciting ! haha

Andyport
10-11-2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks Wokka, I'm very much the traditionalist with my builds, hence the headstock shape. Done all Gibson builds so far. I do like the Jazzmaster kit though, might have to head down that road next, maybe. Not 100% sure on the Timbermate colour, will check tomorrow...in front of the TV now enjoying a lovely glass, or 4, of Barossa Shiraz.
Yeah you're right, the ride on does make a boring job a little more palatable. Have got a lot to mow though so its a necessity.

SIMpleONe89
10-11-2013, 10:42 AM
Very excited to see how you will do it this time again Andy!

jase
10-11-2013, 12:06 PM
Great choice on the sunburst. I look forward to your diary build and you can enjoy the DC Jnr as much as I do.

jase
10-11-2013, 12:08 PM
Great choice on the sunburst. I look forward to your diary build and you can enjoy the DC Jnr as much as I do.

Andyport
11-11-2013, 05:10 AM
After many hours, sanding is complete...

How do you tell someone is a guitar builder?
One arm is bigger than the other.
I swear, after all this sanding we are all going to look like crabs...one huge arm!! :D

@ Wokka...the Timbermate colour I used is Teak. Dries similar to basswood in colour, slightly deeper.

That will probably be it until next weekend...see how I go timewise.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/jq353-Sanding-Fin.jpg

Tim
11-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Another great build in the making

stan
12-11-2013, 10:17 AM
nice so far Andy

gavinturner
12-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Looking good Andy. Great work on the headstock, and the body is coming up a treat. Has the timbermate made the grain stand out just that little more? Should suit your sunburst idea perfectly.

cheers,
Gavin.

AJ
12-11-2013, 10:44 AM
looking great!
with using the timber mate as a grain filler, do you thin it down, or use it straight?

Andyport
12-11-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi AJ
Yeah, thin the Timbermate down with plenty of water till quite a thin runny paste.
Then wearing a disposable glove I just rub it over the whole body of the guitar.
Have also seen it applied using a plastic filling blade. Whatever works for you I guess.
Once dry it does take a fair bit of sanding, but it comes up as smooth as.
Then when doing the final wet sanding and polishing of the lacquer, you'll find the Timbermate has filled every tiny pore in the grain, enabling a mirror finish.
Cheers, Andy

AJ
12-11-2013, 11:41 AM
Ty, Andy, is a little late for me to try this with the TL, but sure I will be able to get another kit in due course, (when the OIC of finances allows me to, and that will mean having to sell a few guitars.like the Yamaha and the old Cort when that's refinished.) I would like to get one of those 338's then

dvous
13-11-2013, 10:13 AM
Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Andyport
15-11-2013, 09:31 AM
Got some time tonight after work to get my hands dirty by splashing a bit of stain around.
Finished the sunburst...ready now to spray the clear coats on the weekend.
Hopefully the painting will be completed by the weekends end.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/79gk9-Burst.jpg

gavinturner
15-11-2013, 09:40 AM
Looking great Andy. What colour stains did you use if you don't mind me asking? Great combination.

Cheers,
Gavin.

WeirdBits
15-11-2013, 10:04 AM
Very tasty.

Andyport
15-11-2013, 11:31 AM
Hi Gav, I used Feast Watson Proof Tint Old Baltic for the lighter colour and Walnut for the darker.
Mucked around a lot over the past few nights trying to doctor up my own custom colours but kept going back to this combination. I think once the clear coats go on it should really come up a treat.

Andyport
17-11-2013, 04:02 AM
Got the first lot of clear coats on this morning...happy with things so far.
Will wet sand tomorrow and spray the final coats.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/6w0qg-Clear-Coats.jpg

Gavin1393
17-11-2013, 04:40 AM
This has got star status written all over it already. Excellent work Andy!

adam
17-11-2013, 05:05 AM
Hey Andy, have you checked the spacing of the bridge holes on this kit? We had a couple of these that were drilled for a Tune-O-Matic bridge and not for the bridge that comes with this kit. Maybe just check before proceeding any further.

Andyport
17-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Hey Adam, just checked the bridge hole spacing and everything seems fine.
Thanks for the heads up though.

adam
17-11-2013, 07:49 AM
Good news. Gavin T had one that was out and we have two here that are also mis-drilled, so some must have been made on a Friday after a long liquid lunch.

GlennGP
17-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Looking pretty awesome Andy. That walnut colour - it looks pretty close to black here, but is it really? I'm trying to find a black stain suitable for a maple cap for a burst, so it needs to be able to blend and fade. Would this be any good?

Andyport
17-11-2013, 12:20 PM
Hi Glenn,
The walnut probably isn't as black as it looks in the photo...definitely a very dark brown, which I was after.
In the Feast Watson Prooftint range, which these stains are, they do both a Japan Black and a Black.
I have got the Japan Black and it is very black. Think it would be fine for what you're after.
They are available in very handy little 50ml bottles for about $7 - $8, more than enough or a few builds.
I did the blend on this burst by rubbing the stains on with rags, and they blended really nicely.
They are a dye based stain. Try both the blacks on some offcuts and see what you think.
Cheers,
Andy

jase
17-11-2013, 09:12 PM
The Burst looks great Andy.

Tim
17-11-2013, 09:49 PM
WOW that burst is something else.

Andyport
18-11-2013, 05:13 AM
Finished the clear coats this morning.
Got quite a nice level of gloss straight off the gun.
Will leave now for a week to cure properly and then cut and polish.
During the week I can make a start on the wiring...get the burn cream ready!! 8O
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/qv2a8-Clear-Finished.jpg

gavinturner
18-11-2013, 08:01 AM
Wow! your burst looks freaking awesome with the clear on Andy. Another superb result. Congrats.

cheers,
Gavin.

Andyport
25-11-2013, 05:55 AM
Have had no time during the week to do anything on my build...but got a bit done this weekend.

Cut and polished the clear coat on the body and neck.
Completed all the shielding and wiring.
Fixed the bridge in place.
Lowered the nut height.
Screwed on the output jack and the control cavity cover.

Fairly productive really for the small amount of time I had to spare, between working till Saturday arvo and the rest of the time trying to grab glimpses of us demolishing the poms!! :D

Will hopefully try and get the headstock decal done one night this week.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/f3734-Wiring-Complete.jpg

GlennGP
25-11-2013, 08:03 AM
Beautiful!

Analyst69
25-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Fabulous burst Andy.

I'd be interested to know your technique for applying the shades. Did you do the Old Baltic first then go around with the Walnut? Or did you do them at the same time? How did you get the blend so neat without sharp lines?

Anything you can tell us would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Darren

gavinturner
25-11-2013, 10:28 AM
Beautiful Andy. That body is something else. Your burst looks sprayed on - I can't believe you did it with stain and rags! Amazing stuff.

cheers,
Gavin.

keloooe
25-11-2013, 11:37 PM
wow wow wow wow wow!!!
Oh, forgot something here, WOW!!! Great burst there Andy, that's the colour I dream of on my Juniors!!!

wokkaboy
25-11-2013, 11:58 PM
agree with everyone Andy that looks sensational, you nailed the burst and the colour selection. Can't wait to see it strung up !

robin
26-11-2013, 08:38 AM
Andy, I just have to agree with everybody else. Simply gorgeous.

Just one question, are you going to use the standard P90 or are you going too upgrade?

rob

Andyport
26-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys for all your kind words...really appreciate it.

@ Darren, I will try and find time this week to write down my method of rubbing on the burst.
I think the main thing to remember is I've been a signwriter for 30 odd years, so I have always dealt with paint and blending colours, etc. But I am more than happy to pass on any tips.

@ Rob, I wasn't going to upgrade the P90, although I did briefly look at the GFS P90, and its very reasonably priced.
I'm a fairly basic player, especially compared to those in the video threads, so I don't know how much benefit I would get from upgrading.

MetalMatt
26-11-2013, 01:25 PM
Looks amazing, very classy finish already! Did you spray the clear coat from a rattle can or gun and compressor?

Andyport
26-11-2013, 08:50 PM
I always use a compressor and a touch-up gun for clear coating.

dvous
29-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Another gorgeous guitar Andy - I love how that burst has a lovely warm glow in the sunlight.

gavinturner
29-11-2013, 11:55 AM
Hi Andy, a couple of questions for you about spraying clear coats if you don't mind.
Is it poly you are shooting for the clear coats?
Which brand do you use? Behlen?
What proportion of solvent do you mix with the poly so it flows through the gun and lays down so nice?

Thanks,
Gav.

Andyport
29-11-2013, 12:45 PM
@ Gav: I use acrylic auto clear for my clear coating, obtained from a local auto paint supplier.
Don't remember the brand off hand, will check in the morning for you.
I find acrylic really easy to work with, its very clear(no yellowing), dries quickly and gives a hard durable finish. The idea is not to put on too many coats...too thick can lead to cracking as the finish ages. I would think about 6 coats, 8 at the most would do. Put on say 3 good coats one day, allowing it to tack off between coats, leave next day or 2 to dry, wet sand and then shoot your next 3 coats. You could go another couple coats if it seems too thin. Acrylic can take a lot of thinning. I'm guessing roughly 40:60 paint to thinner, maybe even as high as 30:70. The more thinner, the better the flow, the glossier the finish and no "orange peeling". Then leave it a week to cure before cutting and polishing.
Hope this helps.

gavinturner
30-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Thanks Andy, that's exactly what I wanted to know. I may well give it a try this time around. Just got given a brand new spray gun. I do need to set up a little spray booth however and that's gonna take time.

cheers,
Gavin.

Andyport
03-12-2013, 05:13 AM
With the silly season well upon us, I have had little spare time to devote to the Junior.
Yesterday I completed the headstock, well almost, just letting it cure before a quick cut and polish.
The same basic design as I have used on my other builds.
Next step will be to bolt on the neck. It'll be the first bolt on I will have done...
...and I am little nervous about it.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/s2oi8-Headstock-Decal.jpg

wokkaboy
03-12-2013, 05:18 AM
headstock looks excellent Andy, is that a black veneer or solid black paint ?
Bolt on necks are much less stressfull than a glue in, at least a bolt on you can remove the neck to make tweaks, once a neck is glued its fairly permanent !

Andyport
03-12-2013, 05:25 AM
@ Wokka:
It's actually a decal that I have made, applied to the prepared headstock, trimmed to shape, and then sprayed clear lacquer over.

wokkaboy
03-12-2013, 06:25 AM
Andy, thats a cool idea, sounds like you have the decals worked out and the ones you sent for Gav's DC Jnr looks great !

gavinturner
03-12-2013, 07:07 AM
Andy, another amazing headstock!
Your decal approach really looks awesome. I would give it a try if I could imagine a way to accurately cut it to size. Any pointers?

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
03-12-2013, 10:25 AM
@ Gav:
I just oversize the decal, then after applying, using a scalpel with a very sharp new blade, run it around the edge of the headstock. Sounds easy but it can be a challenge...30 odd years of wielding a scalpel certainly helps. Otherwise you may accidentally reshape that beautifully crafted headstock.

maxaxe
04-12-2013, 01:00 AM
What a truly elegant guitar.

The sunburst is probably the best I ever seen from a home builder and I like your decalling method too.

Darren did ask before about your 'bursting technique?
Eagerly awaiting enlightenement on that one . . .

lawry
04-12-2013, 02:48 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Andyport on December 2, 2013, 19:25
@ Gav:
I just oversize the decal, then after applying, using a scalpel with a very sharp new blade, run it around the edge of the headstock. Sounds easy but it can be a challenge...30 odd years of wielding a scalpel certainly helps. Otherwise you may accidentally reshape that beautifully crafted headstock.

30 years of wielding a scalpel, eh Andy? May I ask where?

pablopepper
04-12-2013, 03:17 AM
A scalpel is a very common tool in the sign industry Lawry. Perfect for weeding vinyl, but useful for many other day to day activities. I also use syringes to apply glue/solvent. I get some funny looks when people see a desk covered in scalpels and used syringes.

Andyport
04-12-2013, 04:01 AM
Yeah that's right Lawry, I'm not an ex surgeon or a mass murderer! :D :D :D
Since the advent of vinyl lettering and digital printing, signwriters use a scalpel far more than they do a brush. Always think with our steady hands we would probably make good surgeons though...
....any takers!! ;)

Andyport
04-12-2013, 05:08 AM
@ Maxaxe and Darren:
Sorry I hadn't written up the 'bursting technique' used on this build yet.
Thanks for your nice comments...more than happy to help.

I just rag rubbed this burst on using "Feast Watson Prooftint" dye based stains.

Before you begin, disposable gloves are a must!
Firstly, using one rag, I rubbed on a generous coat of the middle lighter colour all over the body face, coming to within approx 20-30mm from the edge. Then with another clean rag, quickly rubbed on the outer darker colour while the inner colour was still wet, overlapping the darker colour onto the lighter. Try applying a section of the darker colour at a time, I found that way it was easier to keep a wet edge going. Then using another clean dry rag rubbed to blend the two colours together, following the edge contour. If a line does begin to appear, just add more of each colour, especially the lighter colour, with their own rags and continue blending with the blending rag. To get the darker colour a consistent width from the edge, I just held the balled up rag between my thumb and index finger, and extended my other fingers down and ran them along the edge using it as a guide.

This is a fairly basic instruction...any further questions please ask.
Hope it helps.

Cheers
Andy

wokkaboy
04-12-2013, 06:19 AM
sounds like a good technique and advice there Andy, makes sense to me, might try this technique next burst I tackle.
Good advice to work on a small amount of the edge at a time so both dark and light colours remain wet and blend easier. I think ultimately it all comes down to practice. Might practice on the next clock I build as it isn't so important the blend is smooth.
Thanks for sharing that with the forum Andy. Really Andy from wudtone UK should have made a more detailed video of bursting techniques.

Analyst69
04-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks Andy

The info on your bursting technique is greatly appreciated. I've had a rough go at it with some leftover wudtone, which was okay, but not great. I think I do need to practice on some scrap wood a bit to try and get the process right.

Thanks again,. your advice will be invaluable.

Cheers

Darren

maxaxe
04-12-2013, 10:48 AM
The info on your bursting technique is greatly appreciated. I've had a rough go at it with some leftover wudtone, which was okay, but not great. I think I do need to practice on some scrap wood a bit to try and get the process right.

Thanks again,. your advice will be invaluable.

Cheers

Darren[/quote]

Same goes for me - Thanks to your treatise I feel much more confident with the idea tackling a particular project waiting in the wings.

BTW: I did manual drafting in a previous life and second only to a tech pen, the scalpel was king. The handle was good for slotted head screws too . . .

Andyport
09-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Pretty much completed...now just to string her, do the setup and inntonation.
Took a quick photo with my tablet, so its a bit crappy.
Will get some proper photos and post them in the next couple of days.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/00dn2-20131208_113624.jpg

lawry
09-12-2013, 02:13 AM
Looks pretty damn good for a crappy photo. Can't wait to see the good ones!

Andyport
09-12-2013, 08:54 AM
Here's one more pic...still not great , but it gives you an idea of how she looks.
The body colour in the first pic looks washed out.
In the first photo you can just see the real colour in the top L/H corner of the body.
Have now strung it and done the setup...really happy with it.
I reckon once she settles in she'll be a beauty.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/4dtbg-20131208_120540.jpg

gavinturner
09-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Another amazing job Andy. She looks fantastic!

cheers,
Gav.

robin
09-12-2013, 09:19 PM
Wow Andy, that is stunning. Love the burst, love the finish, just love it.

rob

keloooe
09-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Expect the LPAS (Les Paul Acquisition Squad) to arrive at your door later today Andy, no amount of any security will stop me!

Andyport
10-12-2013, 12:34 AM
Looks like I will have to get the PESTICIDE out!!
We also have a Rottweiler at home, Pest...so good luck...lol

Gavin1393
10-12-2013, 02:14 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Andyport on December 9, 2013, 09:34
Looks like I will have to get the PESTICIDE out!!
We also have a Rottweiler at home, Pest...so good luck...lol

Knowing that Wudtone is not on your list Andy, you can train the Rotty to tear limb from limb at the smell of Wudtone...That should keep you safe from Pest(y) intruders...I hear from a reliable source (DB) that the young man goes through Wudtone so far, DB is convinced he's drinking it! :P

keloooe
10-12-2013, 02:19 AM
Haha, yup, train it like the dogs at the airport but instead of illicit materials, Wudtone!
Wait, that still wont stop me haha!!!

jase
10-12-2013, 11:06 AM
There great axes aint they. Superb!!

Andyport
24-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Finally got around to taking the finished photos.
Really happy with how she turned out...plays beautifully too.
Especially if someone with talent was playing it. :)
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/77uh4-Body-Full.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/l8c04-Body-Close.jpg

Andyport
24-12-2013, 06:09 AM
The back and Headstock shots.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/s441g-Headstock.jpg
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/xrh96-Back-Full.jpg

jarrod
24-12-2013, 07:22 AM
Really nice Andy , the sun burse is beautiful

WeirdBits
24-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Love that burst, looks fantastic. Great job Andy.

robin
24-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Beautiful guitar (as usual) Andy. Beautiful burst and beautiful finish.

rob

Brendan
24-12-2013, 01:08 PM
Stunning Andy. Great work again mate...

Fretworn
24-12-2013, 09:09 PM
Very pretty.

gavinturner
24-12-2013, 09:23 PM
Another amazing job Andy. This one is superb - the burst is awesome, the headstock is perfect and this baby looks ready to rock hard! Well done.

cheers,
Gav.

johnnychronic
25-12-2013, 03:16 PM
That's rich! Well done on the head stalk too.

robin
26-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Andy as my next project will be a Jr can I ask did you do anything to the P90 dogears to conform with the shape of the arch top? Or is there enough give in the plastic to just screw it down tight?

Thanks mate.
rob

Andyport
26-12-2013, 07:49 PM
@ Rob:
Hi Rob...I did have issues getting the P90 dogears to conform to the body.
There is definitely not enough give in the plastic as there needs to be.
My first effort to screw it down popped the cover off the pickup, and once that had happened, each attempt after had the same outcome. So I went online looking for a solution. Fixed the problem by cutting a small wooden block to use as a spacer to fit hard up under the pickup in the cavity rout. Then slowly screwed the P90 down, alternating a few turns on each screw until tight. Still don't know if this is the proper solution to the problem, but it did work for me. They do need really need to address the problem. The plastic is way to rigid with very little give.
Maybe someone else has another solution that I could also try.
Cheers
Andy

robin
26-12-2013, 09:08 PM
Thanks for that Andy. I had tried "google is your friend" but hadn't come up with your solution. I will give it a try when I get to that stage of the build.

Gotta love these Forums.

Thanks again mate
rob

stan
27-12-2013, 07:47 AM
another great effort, nice work

gavinturner
14-01-2014, 10:54 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Andyport on November 28, 2013, 21:45
The idea is not to put on too many coats...too thick can lead to cracking as the finish ages. I would think about 6 coats, 8 at the most would do. Put on say 3 good coats one day, allowing it to tack off between coats, leave next day or 2 to dry, wet sand and then shoot your next 3 coats. You could go another couple coats if it seems too thin.

Hi Andy,

One more quick question if I may. Do you rinse thinner through your gun while you wait for coats to tack, or do you just leave the gun hanging with the pot filled? I have my gun and acrylic ready, I am just worried about making some stupid schoolboy error with the spray gun first time out. Any help very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
14-01-2014, 11:26 PM
@ Gav
Hi Gav...the acrylic tacks off very quickly, so I don't worry about running thinners through the gun between coats. It tacks off to touch dry within a few minutes. Only if you have to leave it for any length of time, maybe 15mins or so, would I worry with running thinner through the gun.
Another BIG tip, something I found out on the weekend by ACCIDENT after spraying the JM-1 body, be extremely careful when wet sanding. In fact I don't think I will wet sand another guitar body again. Water and timber just don't mix. Just a small amount of water got into the bridge post holes and pickup routs and expanded the face timber. Had to sand the affected areas back to bare, prepare again and respray. It's not like I used gallons of water either, just a tiny bit gets into the edge of routs and holes and must run through the pores of the timber with capillary action. Something to really look out for.

Cheers
Andy

wokkaboy
14-01-2014, 11:55 PM
@Gav & Andy,
thats what happened to my Iceman (when it had metallic blue paint with the southern cross) I was wet sanding after the 1st coat of clear and water must have got underneath like you Andy and it lifted the wood in places. I had to start all over again too. Be careful wet sanding folks !

jarrod
15-01-2014, 12:52 AM
Always seal with the first mist coat. Then sand out the holes afterwards. Wet sand with a few splashes on the paper not the guitar. And wipe excess water away regularly.

gavinturner
15-01-2014, 02:22 AM
@Andy: thanks for the info on spraying. That's just what I needed to know. Thanks also for the heads up on the wet sanding (you too Wokka!). I've had no disasters yet, but it might be just around the corner!

@Jarrod: thanks for tip on the misting seal coat. I'll definitely try that. In general I try to wet sand with as little water as possible as you suggest.

It's also a trade off when doing the mock-up too, whether to drill all those fiddle holes for tuners and pickguards and a on. Each little drill hole is a potential nightmare just waiting to happen..

Cheers Gents,
Gav.

Andyport
15-01-2014, 07:08 AM
@ Gavin T...
totally agree with regards to pre-drilling when doing your mock build. I didn't with my first 3 builds and I don't think I will again.

@ Jarrod...
Agree too. I had sprayed seal coats and hadn't actually touched the holes with the paper, It was just a small amount of excess water that caused the issue. You're definitely right with regularly wiping away any excess water. Just a little laying around on the body can lead to problems.

As Wokka said, be very careful.