PDA

View Full Version : SAvs TLD-1TP

sav242
04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Hey everyone, just kinda finished up making my TLD-1TP, though I'd share my experiences with you all in case it helps out in the future. I chose this one because it was a kind of oddity; tele-ish shaped body, strat neck, ebony fretboard, F-hole, tuneomatic bridge, 2 P-90's and i think its a jag style trem system. I decided to go with wudtone butterscotch for the colour, extra gloss, and vintage amber for the neck. The vintage amber in particular came out beautifully, as did the buttersctotch. I spent a hell of a lot more time and care this time with the sanding and finishing than on my last job (makes a difference when you suddenly aren't in a mad hurry) and was over all very happy with the results.
In comparison to the JM-1 I made earlier this year, the neck pocket was a lot cleaner and installing the neck was an absolute breeze, the hardware all went on without a hitch (minus the tree saddles which mysteriously didn't arrive as part of the kit). I decided to not wuss out and did the wiring myself, which was not as terrible as I thought it was going to be, but there were only two problems. Firstly, as I had already rammed the bridge posts into the body before i started the wiring, I suddenly realised it was now going to be impossible to solder the earth wire to the bridge post (I'd stupidly assumed the earth wire would be running to the trem plate). Once that bridge post is in it ain't coming out, so all i could do was just push the wire through and hoped it made connection with the post.
When I plugged it in, she actually sounded great, which surprised the hell out of me as i assumed i would have screwed something up along the way. However, when I discovered that my volume pot was working as a tone pot, and that the tone pot did nothing at all, my elation dimmed somewhat. I had used the Two Humbuckers to 1 Volume, 1 Tone and a 3 way Switch wiring diagram on the website, but must have gotten something wrong along the way. No biggie, just happy she sends a decently clean signal for now.
Most importantly though, how does she feel? Well, having gathered a little bit more experience in setting up a guitar, i got cracking. First straightened out the nasty back bow on the neck and spent considerable time on the action and intonation... The result was very surprising... It plays like an absolute dream, was able to set the action very low and have almost no buzzing problems along the neck. The intonation is a little out on the g string, but I've pulled the saddle all the way back and still can't get it right, so maybe changing the relief on the neck will address that. Only weird thing is i can't get the trem to work at all... No idea why, without the strings on it works fine, but once strings are on it doesn't budge at all... Like I said, no idea why.
I really enjoyed the process of making this guitar, like I mentioned before, not having time constraints on me made a huge difference and weirdly as I was getting close to finishing the project i began to feel sad, and started thinking about what my next guitar would be.
So all in all a very satisfying experience for me, with a lovely playing guitar as the outcome. Cheers ;-)
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/j2o90-IMG_1241.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/82g31-IMG_1242.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/ps97y-IMG_1243.jpg

lawry
04-11-2013, 06:23 PM
Hi Sav. Your guitar looks awesome. I love the colour and the lines are beautifully clean. Sorry to read that you have a couple of minor issues but I'm sure you'll get them sorted. Thanks for posting. Cheers.

Andyport
04-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Looks really good Sav, well done.
I'm the same...the end of a build does come with a touch of sadness.
Mind you, not as bad as the empty feeling you get between builds.
Bet your already planning next...look forward to seeing more from you in the future.
Cheers Andy.

pablopepper
04-11-2013, 09:24 PM
I think you might have installed the bridge plate backwards. I haven't seen this model put together before, but i assume it works like a jaguar/mustang trem.
http://www.elderly.com/items/images/30U/30U-13946_bridge.jpg

Tim
04-11-2013, 11:41 PM
the highs and lows of the build end.
the joy of playing a guitar that you built
and the lows of waiting for your next kit
Anyways great build I don't think I have seen one of these built yet
but this one looks awesum Sav

Fretworn
05-11-2013, 12:50 AM
Pretty certain Pablo is right re the trem. The lever action won't work the way you have it set up.

How do you find the location of the volume and tone controls? I was initially going to get one of these, but it was the location of the pots that put me off it.

It has come up mighty pretty though.

sav242
05-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Doh! Absolutely right Pablo ;-) Fixed it, but it plays like shit now lol... Thanks for the heads up mate... Fretworn, I've got no real problem with where the volume and tone controls are, but I tend not to mess with them that much when I'm actually playing. Now you've got me thinking about it, it is a little awkward doing volume swells with your little finger, but still do-able. Cheers for the comments and advice guys ;-)

stan
06-11-2013, 10:43 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from sav242 on November 4, 2013, 22:54
Doh! Absolutely right Pablo ;-) Fixed it, but it plays like shit now lol... Thanks for the heads up mate... Fretworn, I've got no real problem with where the volume and tone controls are, but I tend not to mess with them that much when I'm actually playing. Now you've got me thinking about it, it is a little awkward doing volume swells with your little finger, but still do-able. Cheers for the comments and advice guys ;-)

lol, your soundcloud track sounds just fine mate.

lets see some pics of the trem on right!

gavinturner
07-11-2013, 10:47 AM
Great result Sav! It's a bit of a "bitsa" this kit - a bit of everything - but it came up really, really nicely!
The butterscotch looks awesome, and I especially love the P90s - I bet she really cranks. Great job!

Cheers,
Gavin.