PDA

View Full Version : S EX

Scott J.
01-11-2013, 03:22 AM
Yes, I know that title will catch just about everyone's attention! :o

Well, time for build number 2 (it must be! the last one's just finished! :) ) ... and the choice this time? one of the sexiest, and certainly most ground-breaking, guitar shapes ever conceived, the Explorer! (Ok I hear the arguments now but I did say "... one of ..."!). Anyway, for me it has always been one of the "most desirables" and now I have the chance.

The obligatory pics of "just opened box" and the "dry build" follow. This is an Ash-body EX-1 and while there's a few flaws (see my post under the "New Ash Bodies" forum topics for details), the Ash timber is really lovely and I hope I can do it justice with an equally nice build.

Stock? or not? ... well I do have a few mods planned but nothing to radical. Rather than just running with the "modified-EX" original kit, I'll be actually be taking this one back to re-create the greatest Explorer of them all, the '58-'63 Korina Explorer 8-) ... full original-shaped scratch plate (so there'll be some routing necessary), 2V,1T controls, Speed knobs (gauged to 11 for some extra grunt! :D ) and finished Wudtone Goldenrod (closest match to the colour of Korina timber).

So, stay tuned for further updates on S' EX (oh, that's pronounced "Esses Ex" in case you didn't get the punctuation gag! :D )
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/7zh87-Opened-Box.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/t57um-Dry-Build-2.jpg

wokkaboy
01-11-2013, 03:33 AM
Looks good Scott, I just read your post on the 'ashes body due in September' thread and bummer about some of the flaws, hope you can work around them. Golden Rod on the ash should look sensational and the other mods you are doing. The bridge posts look in the correct location, you may remember Bass Guy built a lefty EX-1 and the bridge posts were drilled for a right handed axe

good luck and look forward to the updates. I should get a coat of wudtone on my STA-1 this weekend, still undecided about the colour

Scott J.
01-11-2013, 03:40 AM
Yep, I recall BassGuy's EX-1 problem ... fortunately I'm a right-hander! :D

Fretworn
02-11-2013, 01:17 AM
If you have to modify then it should be like this...
http://www.rankopedia.com/CandidatePix/123080.gif
Allen Collins' Explorer modified with a Gibson Vibrola tailpiece.

Scott J.
02-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Absolutely Geoff, it's certainly something under consideration! (classic axe and classic player - gone but not forgotten, RIP). I believe that's a Gib Maestro Vibrola on his EX (but could be wrong). Well have to see what I can pick up scrounging around (and how far the "sheckles " will stretch!)

Scott J.
23-11-2013, 11:48 PM
Well, time for an update ... "some days are diamonds, some days are stones"

Firstly, things have been going a little slow on this build due to recent lack of time ... am doing my Engineering degree and have picked up the pace with extra subjects which have really "sucked" the spare time ... but the sooner I get it completed the sooner I can use it (and at 50 years old, is certainly is a case of the "sooner the better"! :D)

... but I haven't been totally lax (manage to steal a little time here and there between lectures, assignments and copious reading of text books! 8O )

So far, (the diamonds), I just love building these kits (it really is great therapy! :D ) and have been refining the headstock and getting the body routed for the original-style "under-pickguard" wiring that I'm putting on this baby.

But then the bad news (the stones) and which will require a complete change of plan! :( ... its funny how, in our excitement of getting the "new kit" and scouring all the minute detail (glue spots, cracks, filler, etc.) and planning through just how the "new baby" will finish up that we can often overlook the completely obvious!

It was while I was setting up for the routing that I noticed that something just didn't look right ... and then I realised what it was - the grain on the body is way out of kilter with the body shape! (see pics) ... it looks like that instead of lining up the cutting template so that the grain is straight with the neck (creating one nice "line" through the guitar) they've lined the grain up parallel with the top edge of the body! Unfortunately this makes a quite noticeable angle with the neck and which will stand out like the proverbial "dogs balls" in the planned "korina" Goldenrod colour that I was looking forward to and give the finished guitar a "bent" or "broken" appearance! - and the grain itself was looking so promising! :( ... BUGGER! :x

Now it needs a major re-think on what to do! - A light colour is now out of the question, a darker colour would "mask" the effect somewhat (but my fear is that it could still be seen), I really DONT want to go the route of a nitro/2-pack/auto-paint solid colour (don't have the facilities or location for spraying), so there's not a lot of options! :(

However, after a chance conversation with a good friend and fellow "guitar nut", I hit on an idea and after much research and investigation, I found that it is possible!

... so, inspired by the beautiful fuel tanks of the classic 1930's "motorcyclist's motorcycle" - the Brough Superior (as ridden by T.E. Lawrence himself) ... and at the risk of being "permanently crucified in the naughty corner" by DB 8O

... I've decided to get the body NICKLE-PLATED!!! (I've always liked the ever-so-slight gold tinge to Nickel over the cold white of Chrome 8-) )

Due to the process necessary to make it possible to electroplate timber, it will seriously prolong the project's timeline (and cost!) ... but I'm hoping the finished product will be worth it (if nothing else it will at least be unique! ... maybe the only "nickel explorer" ever?)

Anyway, I'd love to hear the forum's thoughts on the idea (DB, I'll send you the necessary mallet and spikes to hang me in the naughty corner! :D )

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/3i16i-Skew-if-grain-routed-2.jpg

Scott J.
23-11-2013, 11:52 PM
P.S. Fretworn - still reckon the Gibson Vibrola is truly worthy mod for this axe ... if anyone can point me in the right direction to obtaining one it'd be much appreciated ... even used/second-hand is fine (and cheaper) - I can renew it myself if necessary.

gavinturner
24-11-2013, 03:03 AM
Wow Scott, an inspired suggestion. I didn't even know it was possible! I'm really looking forward to seeing how it comes out and what preparation you need to do to pull this off. You might be breaking ground and starting a new build trend all in one! Awesome! Do you need to coat the body in some conductive paint perhaps?

cheers,
Gav.

Scott J.
24-11-2013, 05:29 AM
Well, I had heard that not too long ago Joe Satriani had a chromed guitar made for him (after MUCH trials and tribulation they finally got the process to work) and it got me to thinking ... ;)

Fortunately it was a case of one contact led to another that led to another that led to another that ... (well you get the picture) ... and I stumbled across this bloke here in Sydney who does "bronzing" - no not the suntan-salon type but metal coating objects (baby booties, etc - actually he can do a whole range of stuff!)

He'd only ever done one guitar body before (in chrome - see pic) and it looks a real treat! ... here's the link to his website ... http://www.bronzingstudio.com.au/ ... he really does do some amazing stuff! (I really liked the violins too!)

Anyway, after a good chat (really nice bloke) he stepped me through the process that needs to be done - quite easy, just time-consuming (and messy!)

Now, if I've got it right (and I'll be speaking to him again for more details before I start) it's something like this ...

He can metal coat anything but he main problem with timber is that it swells up during the plating process - so it needs to be COMPLETELY sealed prior to plating (and that means EVERY little nook and cranny as well as the routes and the wiring channels!) ... a hell of a job but I've got a work around to make life a bit easier.

Basically the "sealing" involves saturating the timber with 2-pack polyurethane (at LEAST a couple of coats from his recommendations) and then sanding to ultra smooth with 800 wet-n-dry. After that its choose your favourite metal and then into the plating (I believe he starts with a copper layer first before the final chrome/nickel/gold/silver/whatever).

While the "sealing and sanding" process (which I'll do myself, of course) is probably comparable in time to "sanding and Wudtoning" the big delay is in the plating ... he says it can be anything up to 8-weeks lead time for him to plate as he just has so much work on (I guess there's not too many people doing this speciality work).
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/40biw-Chrome-plated-guitar-for-music-company1.jpg

maxaxe
24-11-2013, 07:56 AM
Great Scott! Scott.

I hope you succeed with this undertaking. Sounds like meticulous prep work & lots of patience will be required to make it happen. Of course, the payoff will be probably the blingiest guitar on the forum.
You might need Polaroids if you ever play under lights . . .

Wishing you success and will be keenly watching progress on this one.

stan
24-11-2013, 09:15 AM
holy crap - that will be awesome!

Tim
24-11-2013, 08:55 PM
Oh wow I think its well worth the time in the naughty corner .good luck with this cant wait to see the final result

Fretworn
26-11-2013, 01:06 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Scott J. on November 23, 2013, 08:52
P.S. Fretworn - still reckon the Gibson Vibrola is truly worthy mod for this axe ... if anyone can point me in the right direction to obtaining one it'd be much appreciated ... even used/second-hand is fine (and cheaper) - I can renew it myself if necessary.

A quick Google search spat out this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SHORT-VIBROLA-FOR-GIBSON-MAESTRO-SG-JR-FIREBIRD-/360796076673#ht_320wt_871

Most of the ones out there for sale seem to be the long, SG style vibrolas, not the short ones. And they are all very expensive.

GlennGP
26-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Nickel-plated Explorer?! Whatever will they think of next?! Amazing idea - best of luck with the execution!