PDA

View Full Version : SG build

vinceradice
24-10-2013, 01:24 AM
I finally decided on thr SG kit with the flame top. Im planning to finish it in a cherry stain and gloss clearcoat. before I do, Im going to stain the top black to bring out the grain. I'll post some pics once I start.
later
Vince

Tim
24-10-2013, 01:45 AM
Greetings Vince welcome to the PBG clan.
Start a build diary for your SG to document your build.
Ask questions take your time enjoy your build
you will end up with a really amazing guitar

wokkaboy
24-10-2013, 02:06 AM
Hi Vince,
welcome to the forum family, sounds like a good kit to start on and I like the idea of black stain then cherry on the flame top, look forward to seeing the axe progress in the build diary section. I built one of the SG-1F kits and am very happy with it.

vinceradice
24-10-2013, 02:13 AM
Thanks guys. Ive been watching lots of YT vids about refinishing flame tops, so I have a rough plan. Im going to just proceed and learn as I go along.
Vince

stan
24-10-2013, 02:46 AM
Welcome Vince, enjoy the build!

vinceradice
24-10-2013, 03:08 AM
thanks

Scott J.
24-10-2013, 08:50 PM
Hi Vince ... welcome to the PBG crew. All the info you'll ever need (and then some! :D ) is here in these forum pages (somewhere! 8O ... there's a lot of info here!!!) and if you can't find what you need, just ask, there'll always be a willing advisor or two to put you on the right track.

Take lots of pics and post 'em in your build diary (all the PBG clan like watch someone else's build progress as much as our own! ;) )

Stay out of the naughty corner ... or try to (altho' you'll notice that some folks 'round here seem to have become permanent inhabitants of it and my guess is they secretly enjoy it! :D )

The SG! ... a true classic! (great choice, amigo!) ... recently finished my own and VERY happy with it. Only advice I would offer is when it comes to setting the neck be very careful - SG's are very "hungry" in the neck and you'll find you'll lose a lot of the neck angle once its brought up under string tension (which means you'll probably lose a lot of the bridge adjustment to achieve a nice action height)

... but a lovely kit to build! Enjoy.

gavinturner
25-10-2013, 04:38 AM
Welcome Vince!
Hope to enjoy your build as much as you do. If you can start a build diary we can all share your progress. It's a great kit and more than likely the start if many more to come! Enjoy.

cheers,
Gavin.

robin
25-10-2013, 05:16 AM
Hi Vince, welcome to the PBG family.

Its all been said before, take your time.... , enjoy... , pics ..... , questions..... , Diary ...... , yada, yada, yada.

Seriously, just have fun mate, and you will probably end up with a guitar that you just can't put down. :D

cheers
rob

vinceradice
27-10-2013, 02:01 AM
How do I start a build diary?

Tim
27-10-2013, 02:45 AM
go to BUILD DIARY and open a new topic
the same way you did the welcome page just scroll down till you find BUILD DIARY.
Look forward to the build

lawry
27-10-2013, 02:49 AM
Hi Vince. Welcome fro me too.
To start your build diary go to the Forum home page and select the eighth section down "My Build Diary". Select "New Topic"and you're away. Looking forward to seeing how it all progresses.
Cheers.

lawry
27-10-2013, 02:50 AM
Man, you've gotta be quick to beat Tim! Must be why he's tagged as PRO ;-)