PDA

View Full Version : Andys Build #2 : ES-1GT

Andyport
18-10-2013, 10:50 PM
Pretty much stock standard kit...and what a great kit!!
The only minor changes were Orange Drop caps and the truss rod cover.

Stained first using ColorTone Cherry Red, doctored with a few drops of Walnut and Mahogany to give a slightly deeper and richer colour. Was after more of the Vintage Cherry look.
Thought this would work really nicely with the gold hardware.
Sprayed the clear lacquer coats, then cut and polished to a high gloss finish.

Lowered the nut height and fret leveled...plays superbly.
Possibly change out the pickups sometime down the track, but loving it as it is.
Think this one will be my "go to guitar", have got a real soft spot for it already.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ftqt7-Full-Front.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/p6201-Full-Back.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/x0394-Close-Body.jpg

Andyport
18-10-2013, 10:52 PM
Close up of the headstock.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/j783u-Headstock.jpg

wokkaboy
18-10-2013, 11:48 PM
Wow Andy that looks amazing, well done, the finish looks superb and probably one of the best looking ES builds I've seen. I love the GT model with the tailpiece fitting and the trapezoid fret markers are a must on these axes, which the ES-1G doesn't have.
So glad my entry for GOTM won't be ready till December, the quality and bar keeps raising !
Did you replace the nut with a bone nut ?

Scott J.
18-10-2013, 11:57 PM
Absolutely superb job Andy! ... it's certainly enough to scare off anyone thinking of entering the GOTM in the same month as your beauty! (like me! :D)

SIMpleONe89
19-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Wow excellent looking guitar! How many clear coats did you spray on? Was it with a gun or can?

robin
19-10-2013, 12:14 AM
Oh my goodness. Andy, that is absolutely stunning. What a perfect colour for an ES.

Well done mate
rob

pablopepper
19-10-2013, 12:17 AM
Once again, you've knocked it out of the park! Magic looking guitar.

Fretworn
19-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Wow! Very impressive job.

I think I might quit now while I'm ahead. All the guitars you guys are making are so impressive, I don't think I can complete.

WeirdBits
19-10-2013, 04:37 AM
Amazing result Andy, it looks fantastic. I love the subtle tiger stripe on the front and swirly grain on the back, not sure which I like more... but that neck colour, wow! That deep, almost toffee apple, translucent cherry on the back of the neck is incredible. Nicely done.

adam
19-10-2013, 06:17 AM
Just beautiful Andy. This one has gone straight to the pool room. And, by pool room, I mean our Facebook page.

Nice work mate.

gavinturner
19-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Superb Andy, just superb. Did you pop the grain with black dye? Or is it just repeated applications of the red? Any pointers on applying the colortone to produce this dark tiger stripe under the cherry red greatly appreciated. Simply amazing.

Cheers,
Gavin.

Tim
19-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Amazing job Andy .stunning guitar

Gavin1393
19-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Gulp! That is extraordinary! All I can say is I wish I had that hanging on my wall!

stan
20-10-2013, 04:19 AM
I was thinking a similar colour scheme for my ES, but not sure I should now after seeing this: this one is too good...

Andyport
20-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Thanks guys for all your kind words.
I'm really happy with how this one turned out...got a strong bond with her already!!

@ Gavin Turner
With regards to staining Gav, here's what I do:
....remember this is Top Secret, no telling anyone....
I try and get away with just the one coat of stain, two at most, before spraying the clear lacquer.
My theory is that more coats only darkens the colour and therefore less chance of popping the grain.
Have seen on youtube the method of using black dye first, but haven't used it myself.

With the ES I first used mahogany Timbermate to grain fill and then sanded as per normal down to about 320ish grit. One coat of Colortone cherry red (doctored deeper), may have gone lighty over a second time with the stain rag. Technically probably 1.5 coats :) . Then a couple of coats of clear, sprayed through my touch-up gun, then lightly sanded smooth before spraying required amount of top coats. Final step then of wet sanding and cutting/polishing to a high lustre.
With my LP I mixed the amber colour myself using Feast Watson Proof Tint stains. Really good stains, nice range of colours and available in small 50ml bottles. The flames on the LP really popped, more so than the ES, but that was just luck of the draw with the beautiful grain on the LP.
I actually didn't even grain fill the LP first and it still popped beautifully.

If you need more detailed info or more pointers, just sing out...happy to help.
Cheers Andy

lawry
20-10-2013, 09:19 AM
Totally agree with everyone. That is an absolutely magnificent looking guitar. The depth of colour and grain is amazing. Very impressive.