PDA

View Full Version : Tuning an ES 1G

pedro
15-10-2013, 10:27 PM
Hi guys,

I finished my ES 1G several months ago and had a devil of a job trying to tune it, it became such a pain that I gave it away and it has been sitting in the corner while I concentrated on playing my LP. I have just ordered a TL, so I will be working on that, but I would dearly like to get my 1G tuned, but I really need a hand, can you please let me know of a luthier who might have the time to help me tune this lovely bit of gear. Cheers. Pedro.

wokkaboy
16-10-2013, 12:12 AM
Pedro, when you say 'tune' do you mean set up the action and intonate the guitar or do you mean you can't tune each string and it won't keep in tune ?
The guitar will keep better tune once it has been played a bit and the neck sets in and the strings tighten around the tuners. I haven't had much trouble with my ES-1G but it needs work on the nut.
Where do you live ?

Andyport
16-10-2013, 01:41 AM
Seems like the nut height on these kits can be an issue.

Just finished a stock standard ES-1GT.
I lowered the nut height and did a fret level.
Cannot tell you how happy I am with it...fantastic!

Had a few issues with intonation and buzzing on my LP-1.
So, just yesterday I lowered the nut height and restrung it.
After that, intonation was a breeze and no buzzing...huge difference...really happy with it now!

Gavin1393
16-10-2013, 03:57 AM
Hi Pedro,

Please let us know what state you are in (as in Australia, rather than emotional ;) !!)

You can e-mail me on gavmeister@pitbullguitars.com if you don't want to let the groupies, Bass Acquisition Squad or Telenappers know where you are!

wokkaboy
16-10-2013, 04:25 AM
so Gav you have a Pit Bull email address, I suppose its official now you are part of PBG - congratulations !

Gavin1393
16-10-2013, 04:51 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on October 15, 2013, 13:25
so Gav you have a Pit Bull email address, I suppose its official now you are part of PBG - congratulations !

I have had the addy for a while....

It helps Ad's and DB with the folk who need help, etc. on the forum.

wokkaboy
16-10-2013, 05:21 AM
ah ok, no worries Gav, good thing there is wifi in the naughty corner as we've both done some serious time there !

Scott J.
16-10-2013, 09:23 AM
For anyone in the Sydney area who's looking for a luthier for services or just advice, there's a couple of blokes around that are truly great at what they do, however I can fully recommend Clive who works out of Big Music in Crows Nest ... with decades of experience (don't let him know I mentioned he wasn't as young as he used to be! :D)he really is whiz with troubleshooting the technical side of axe problems, he's not a brand-snob (like some) and most importantly for us, he's very friendly to, and supportive of, self-builders ... I've always found him willing to share as much information as my noggin can handle.

pedro
17-10-2013, 11:30 PM
Hi chaps, no problem in letting you know that I live in Rossmoyne, the problem I had was initial buzzing on a couple of strings so I started fiddling with the height of both the tail and the nut, my LP had no such issues and became tunable immediately, just lucky on this occasion I guess.....so with the 1G the more I tried to adjust, the worse it got, so I thought I would leave it and get some assistance from an expert This is where a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing....haha

pedro
25-10-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi all, me again....so does anyone recommend a luthier in my local area please?

adam
26-10-2013, 06:48 AM
I know this guy Dingobass, but he lives in the sticks... if you drive to his place you see cows. Seriously, if you see grazing livestock on the way to your house, you need to move closer to the CBD.

I'm sure if you email him, he can sort you out. dingobass@pitbullguitars.com

dingobass
26-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Cheeky bugger :)
Ads, if you can find us a house with 900sq metre back yard, 3 metre high Dingo proof fencing and a Man Cave near the city I would gladly move closer so you can come over and visit Pindari Dingo more often.... :)

Gavin1393
26-10-2013, 03:41 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on October 25, 2013, 22:44
Cheeky bugger :)
Ads, if you can find us a house with 900sq metre back yard, 3 metre high Dingo proof fencing and a Man Cave near the city I would gladly move closer so you can come over and visit Pindari Dingo more often.... :)

DB, i'm concerned about your Alzheimer's playing up again.....remember that perimeter fencing and alarm system we set up to keep the Telenapper out..... Do you really want to have to set that up again in the Telenappers backyard?

keloooe
28-10-2013, 07:59 PM
My LP needed to have the nut cut down by like 2-3mm before I had the right action I needed! Just slip a thin blade (like a utility knife!) under the nut, the glue wont hold it that long, and find out how much you want to take off. Mark this area and sand it until its almost reaching your mark, replace it and do a test with the strings on (don't glue it yet!). Fine tune it and glue it in