PDA

View Full Version : The guitar with the dragon tattoo...

15-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Hi everyone. My name is Serena, and this is my first guitar.
I really liked the look and design of the IB-1 so that’s what I went with. I have to say though, it was not the smartest decision for a first build. This guitar presented me with A LOT of issues. When it arrived, the first things I noticed: The flame top had almost no character whatsoever (and it was unbelievably thin, so staining and sanding back to bring out contrast was not an option), the fret board was really scratched, especially on the plastic of the inlay and there were a few minor glue stains. Although it wasn’t ideal, these things I could work around. During the put together, there was a problem with drilling the holes for the neck. So it had to be patched up with some oak dowl and super glue. It was re-drilled and went on well.

Since there was no character on the top and I wanted the main feature to be dragon design, I decided to use Minwax White Wash pickling stain on the top and front of the headstock. I made the most of the binding by using a walnut stain on the back of the body. The back of the next had such beautiful character in the wood so I left it unstained and just added the finish. I didn’t want a glossy finish, but more of a matte/satin look and I really didn’t want a finish that would alter the color of my stain (otherwise it would defeat the purpose of a white wash, right?) so I used the Minwax polycrylic satin finish which dries crystal clear, and applied 8-10 coats. The scratches on the next I tried fixing with silvo, brasso, and various grades of steel wool and somehow that seemed to do the trick, after adding the lemon oil – it looked pretty darn good.

I wanted the set the back that covers the electronics flush with the guitar but the 5-way switch was so long that the back barely covered it as it was. So I had to settle with drilling two more holes in it so it at least fitted better to the back. The next issue was the output jack did not even sort of fit. It took a lot of hours of filling so I could get the bare minimum of thread out the back. Finally, the biggest challenge with setting up the floating bridge was that the saddle blocks don’t sit properly meaning that my strings kept slipping out every time I tried to bring it up to tension. I must have refit and tuned it at least 50 times, I tried all the suggestions out there but nothing seemed to work, so finally I found a way to jam the string in there. I’ve played two gigs with the guitar now and the strings are still in there, so problem solved! Although it’s been a challenge, it was my first guitar and I’m pretty besotted.

Anyway, so that’s my guitar. I figured I ‘d give it a shot and enter it in GOM. Let me know what you guys think.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/5yl86-IMAG0501.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/kshrn-IMAG0503.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/l36ty-IMAG0514.jpg

gavinturner
15-10-2013, 01:12 AM
Welcome Serena! Great to have you on the forum.

Sounds like a very challenging build, but you made it in the end. Often the problems overcome make for an even greater connection between builder and guitar. I'm glad you are happy with the result. Any chance of some photos of the front? I would love to see this Minwax whitewash finish you used. I guess I can wait for the GOTM entry, but I'm intrigued! What was your impression of the Minwax poly satin finish? Did you wipe it on? Did you polish/cut it back it afterwards?

cheers,
Gavin.

15-10-2013, 02:43 AM
More photos

Hello,
I've never used a finish before so I don't know how it compares to tru oil or something like that. I applied the white wash with a foam applicator but for the finish I used it as a wipe on poly with a piece of cotton. It went on pretty smooth although I had to be careful for any drips or runs because they dry milky instead of clear. But its really smooth to touch, and doesn't intefere with the stain at all which is why I liked it.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/8w12z-IMAG0525.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/2g3nq-IMAG0530.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/8v458-IMAG0534.jpg

wokkaboy
15-10-2013, 02:47 AM
looks good Rioko, for a first build and the problems you described you have done a good job. How does it play after the 2 gigs, does it keep in tune ? Whats the action like, fairly low ?

gavinturner
15-10-2013, 04:05 AM
You've done a great job with the finish. Really suits this style of guitar. The natural neck colour contrasts nicely with the front/headstock colour and the walnut back. Love it.

cheers,
Gavin.

Tim
15-10-2013, 05:30 AM
Hi Serena welcome and nice job on your guitar

phloggy
15-10-2013, 05:47 AM
That looks great!

GlennGP
15-10-2013, 08:15 AM
Some good choices, and a nice finish. Well done!

lawry
15-10-2013, 10:07 AM
Got to agree that it looks fantastic! I particularly like the back. It is so rich. And the way you rose above the challenges of this build is quite inspiring. Fantastic. You should definitely enter it into GOTM.

stan
15-10-2013, 10:10 AM
looks great, you've done a superb job!

Tim
15-10-2013, 10:59 AM
Whats all the writing front and back of the headstock

Fretworn
16-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Good job.

16-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Thanks for the support guys!
Things are still settling in, so it does go out of tune a bit but its happening less and less. I have noticed that when I tune it, and then put the tremelo lock on, its out of tune a bit again but its not a huge deal. The action is not very low, its probably ranging around the average mark. I wouldn't have minded a lower action so I might do something about that later down the track.

16-10-2013, 03:37 AM
Oh the writing. The waterslide decal on the front is my 'brand' I guess. Its my name in another language, and on the back I decided to put a short song lyric.
Just another way to make my guitars unique

Scott J.
16-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Lovely job Serena ... I especially like the two-tone front/back effect - very nice! ;)

... and welcome to the PBG clan! :D

Tim
16-10-2013, 01:13 PM
Nice job, looks great

adam
16-10-2013, 09:49 PM
That's a really tasteful guitar Serena, nice work. We just need a close up shot of the headstock and we can enter into Guitar of the Month for November.

57strummers
16-10-2013, 10:55 PM
Very nice job

pablopepper
17-10-2013, 12:04 AM
Oh wow, how did I miss this one. Great job.