PDA

View Full Version : Bass Specs

adam
10-10-2013, 07:34 AM
Four string friends, we've been getting a few requests for "more detail" in the descriptions for our Bass kits... that is, more specs.

Things like fretboard radius (which DB assures me is 12"), width at nut, width at last fret, etc...

I was wondering if, between the bass players on this Forum, we could come up with a set of specs that we should put in the description so customers have all the info at hand. What would you like to see in there?

I guess the same goes for the guitar kits, but I don't tend to get that many requests for detailed specs on the guitar kits, which I think confirms that bass players are far more anal and "train-spotty" than us non-string-challenged brethren.

wokkaboy
10-10-2013, 07:46 AM
well said Adam, you might start a bassist/guitarist war with that last comment. I'm not a bassist but muck around on my PBH-4 and IB-5 and I'm very happy with all the dimensions of the fretboard etc. I did play a Fender jazz bass not long ago and the nut end of the fretboard was very narrow which felt good.

adam
10-10-2013, 07:56 AM
Yes, it was probably poor form to ask for their help and offend them in the same post, but hey, as a reformed bass player, I have that right.

dingobass
10-10-2013, 11:08 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on October 9, 2013, 16:56
Yes, it was probably poor form to ask for their help and offend them in the same post, but hey, as a reformed bass player, I have that right.

And this coming from a man who owns a BANJO?.....

AJ
11-10-2013, 01:24 AM
The Film Deliverance comes immediately to mind with the banjo statement... and not the river scene either.! ROFLMAO

(Hey, do you guys live far from the Swan river?)

sneaks back off to the naughty corner.

Fretworn
11-10-2013, 01:47 AM
My cousin cut the neck off a banjo and added it to his drumkit. Was a good, poor man's timbale.

Scott J.
11-10-2013, 03:38 AM
HEY!!! What's wrong with banjo's?

Not everyone that plays a banjo is a tobacco-chewin', moonshine-sippin', pickup-drivin', half-bred, backwoods-dweller ... OK, so most of 'em might be, but not ALL of 'em! :D

I've always had an unfulfilled fondness for our "four-and-a-half"-stringed friends (the banjos that is, not the hill-billys!)

... now there's an idea! How about a PitBull Banjo kit? - ("Martha, git my gun! ... and pass tha' jug while yer at it!" 8O )

But back to the point, on the bass-spec side of things, how about ...
- scale length
- neck depth (at body, 12th fret & nut)
- f/board width (at body, 12th fret & nut)
- f/board radius
- weight

WeirdBits
11-10-2013, 04:13 AM
Level of soldering difficulty = ((number of pickups) ^ 2) Bass player(s) required.

adam
11-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Thanks Scott x 2 for bringing it back to the topic. Those guys are just jealous of the banjo's sheer awesomeness.

AJ
11-10-2013, 09:14 AM
Time for a banjo kit and the demo vid Adam :) I'd buy one just cause I like the building of things..

stan
11-10-2013, 10:59 AM
The definition of a gentleman: someone who can play the banjo - but doesn't

dingobass
11-10-2013, 11:56 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on October 10, 2013, 18:01
Thanks Scott x 2 for bringing it back to the topic. Those guys are just jealous of the banjo's sheer awesomeness.

Awesome if you like something that sounds like a flock of chooks squabbling over a worm, that is....

wokkaboy
11-10-2013, 02:04 PM
Will you two Adam and DB stop arguing like two schoolkids ? Both of you can spend 30 mins in the naughty corner and relieve myself, Gav and AJ!! You might want to start a new thread about banjo's !! haha all good a bit of disagreement.
I don't mind the sound of a banjo, different and opposite to the low end sound of a bass !!
Scott J the weight of the bass kits are on the additional information tab of each bass model page. Your other specs seem to cover what most builders would like to know