PDA

View Full Version : Colourless neck finish.

pablopepper
09-10-2013, 11:07 PM
Hi all, Wudtone noob question here.

How does the colourless neck finish differ from the top coat? I want no tint on the neck and I was just planning on purchasing the top coat when I noticed the colourless option.

Can a neck be finished with just a top coat or is the top coat only going to bond to a wudtone layer?

dingobass
09-10-2013, 11:53 PM
You can use the top coat, the only real difference is the top coat cures a lot harder than the base coats.
Sand the neck to 240 so as to leave a good tooth for the first coat, which must be applied very thinly.

Let this cure for a few days and then apply another thin coat.

After the second coat has cured, give it a light rub with steel wool and apply the next coat.

Repeat this for 3-4 coats and you will have a nice fast neck that is silky smooth.

wokkaboy
10-10-2013, 12:09 AM
Hey Pablo,
I've never tried just applying a top coat wudtone clear to a neck. This is a question DB better answer. Might pay to order a clear neck kit, don't think they cost much, I'd say the base coat under the top coat will give neck more protection from knocks and a thicker finish will last longer. I used a clear neck kit for my IB5 bass and it feels very slick and looks great if the neck grain is good.
Oh I was beaten by DB, well there you go seems you can use just a top coat. Good luck Pablo

pablopepper
10-10-2013, 12:37 AM
Excellent, this is pretty much the answer I'd hoped for. Thanks lads!

wokkaboy
10-10-2013, 12:43 AM
yer thanks for asking the question Pablo, I'm going to try the top coat only method DB wrote above on the next clear neck I do. Let us know how you go please Pablo, which neck is this for, the IB-1 ?

pablopepper
10-10-2013, 01:34 AM
Yep IB-1. Since I've been back, I've realised I can do most of this build at home rather than at my workshop (I won't need compressor, painting gear, bandsaw, router etc.). Due to time constraints and the fact that I have now resigned myself to stripping back and repainting the PBH, starting the IB-1 seems like the best thing to do for now. This way I can do a bit here and there without abandoning the wife and child for too long. Win/win.

wokkaboy
10-10-2013, 02:07 AM
sounds good Pablo, pity you have to strip back the PBH, weren't you happy with the green paint ? looked good in the photos. Sounds like win/win building the IB1 from home.

pablopepper
10-10-2013, 02:40 AM
I was happy with the green, it will be resprayed the same colour. The clear coat was the let down. Too much thinners in the final coat made the whole thing run, to the point of droplets forming at the bottom of the body. I tried to fix it, but took a few spots of colour off before I could get the surrounding clear level. Patching the paint isn't really an option, so it's all coming off.

I'm being picky, yes, but I have very high expectations for this bass and if I compromise, it will always be obvious to me. I'm in no rush to finish it, so I want to do the best job possible.

wokkaboy
10-10-2013, 02:52 AM
fair enough Pablo, no point continuing with a finish you aren't happy with, bummer about the clear coat, but we all have to make mistakes to improve, we all make them !!
Good luck with the IB-1 and clear neck top coat !