PDA

View Full Version : Another question about the replacement necks.

Fretworn
09-10-2013, 01:22 AM
Does the ST/TL replacement neck (eg PBG-N1R) have a strat shaped heel, or a tele shaped heel?

MetalMatt
09-10-2013, 11:24 AM
here are a couple of pics of the neck heels. The one on the left is the standalone replacement neck, one on the right is the one that came with the ST-1 kit. The replacement neck doesn't fit the ST-1 neck route (although I'm sure it could be modified). The heel profiles are different and the fretboard edge profile on the replacement neck is square and overhangs the neck edge.(also 22 vs 21 frets). Hope this helps!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/oldval/necks11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v472/oldval/necks12.jpg

adam
12-10-2013, 08:05 AM
Fretworn, I saw this post the other day and I've been waiting for a spare minute to respond. I now have that spare minute!

The simple truth is, I messed up (which is not that unusual these days). I thought the ST and TL necks were exactly the same, but clearly they're not. The factory did the right thing and marked them with different codes, which I promptly ignored. Anyhoo, I've now fixed the "Neck" section of the site so you can order either an ST or TL neck in Maple of Rosewood.

The other thing we have to remember is that even though these replacement necks are "made for TL, ST or LP kits", they're not that interchangeable. You'll note that all the bodies and necks in kits are numbered. I'm not sure whether that's an operator number or machine number, but its clear that a "5" neck goes with a "5" body. So, these spare necks need to be purchased with caution... some work may be required to get a proper fit.

I'm sure that the work required would not be beyond the average Forum member, but it might be a bit daunting for a complete newbie who just wants to swap his his rosewood neck for a maple neck.

keloooe
22-10-2013, 09:03 AM
Simple to get the fit correct if the neck heel is a tad fat, just a quick file down!