PDA

View Full Version : Quick question from n00b to the wonderful PB community re: crack filler

WestSacGreenDesignGP
06-10-2013, 05:41 PM
My LP 1 has a small but noticeable curing crack which developed at the rear back, about 3" from the input jack hole - PB sys they think it'll be fine if I use a good timber filler which works well with mahogany, and that I should ask here if folks have a recommendation - I looked through all the major topics, pored through the FAQs, and ran searches for "filler" and "crack" just to be sure I wasn't missing an overly-obvious "here be how to fill curing cracks" posting...

So now I'm asking - hey, anyone have recommendations for a good solid timber filler for mahogany which will have similar cured density to the wood to avoid resonance issues?

This is my first PB build - and in fact first build at all - worked on other's axes over the years as well as my own in terms of electronics, intonation and so on, but not in any disciplined fashion, so it's an exciting new adventure here. I'll soon be posting up the beginnings of my build diary, but haven't gotten there yet.

I also wanted to say thanks to all who greeted my "hi I'm a n00b" post - this is a great and supportive community here, let me tell you - love it!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/15bvz-2013-10-02-08.01.36.jpg

WeirdBits
07-10-2013, 02:55 AM
What type of finish are you planning on using, Wudtone/paint/stain/laquer/oil, opaque/semi-transparent, colour(s) etc? The type of finish may impact the options for the fill/repair.

WestSacGreenDesignGP
07-10-2013, 04:33 AM
wudtone sunburst from saffron and burning sun through mahogany... hoping to have the wonderful grain show well

Gavin1393
07-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Hi Wes

If i am not mistaken, you are in the USA? StewMac sell a mahogany coloured product called Timbermate. This is the only product I would recommend that you use as it does not 'sink' as it cures but retains its level. If you mix it 90 % filler and 10% water you will get the right consistency. It sands really well and paints well too.
If you are not in the USA but in Australia, then go down to your local hardware store and they will have stocks a plenty!

dingobass
07-10-2013, 11:55 AM
Wot Gav said... the only thing i would change is to add some sanding dust from the body into the mix. This will give you a better colour match.
You may need to add a few more drops of water to get the right consistency though.

WestSacGreenDesignGP
07-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Thanks both of you - Damn this comminity rocks - love it!