PDA

View Full Version : Tips on using vintage shielded wiring

Andyport
05-10-2013, 11:32 AM
Have purchased some vintage shielded wire to wire up the ES-1GT.
This is what I got:
luthierssupplies.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=141_63_309&products_id=1839

Thought I may as well use it for all the wiring, that is, between the pots as well as to the output jack. Only thing is I'm not sure exactly how to properly use it.
A little confused with grounding. Sorry, but I know nothing about the wiring side of things.
Managed to muddle my way through things on my LP-1, but using this vintage wire is a whole new ball game.
Cheers, Andy

dingobass
05-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Too easy, Andy.
You just need to push the woven cover back and solder away!

To earth everything on the ESG you will need to run a earth wire linking all the pots.
Make sure these links are long enough to give you some wriggle room when you feed everything in through the f hole.

The Gavmeister has written a great article on the easy way to do this.

highace10
05-10-2013, 12:05 PM
After using the vintage wiring on my ES kit I found that a fairly broad tip on the soldering iron makes it a lot easier. The shielding acts like a heat sink and draws the heat away thus making it harder to melt the solder.

Hope that helps

Andyport
05-10-2013, 12:22 PM
Thanks DB and Highace.
Do you ground the outer metal braiding? If so, do you ground one end or both?
Also got some heat shrink tubing...do I need to cover each wire with this to stop wires touching and shorting?
Sorry, so many questions.

highace10
06-10-2013, 08:25 AM
The attached picture is the wiring that I did for my 335.

If you have look at the heat shrink, I put it in between the pots and anywhere that needs a bit of protection (from other wires etc). Its highly unlikely that anything will touch but its better to safe than sorry.

Use the braid as the earth..its one way to reduce noise. Think of coax cable for eg. It has a conductor in the middle, metal braid on the outside (which is earthed) and then that's all insulated.

Hope that helps.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/4v4sb-1291498_10202038713309339_1318463754_o.jpg

Andyport
06-10-2013, 09:27 AM
Thanks so much for the photo Highace..."a picture is worth a thousand words".
I did make a start today soldering the capacitors in place, using the pitbull wiring diagram.
Sort of wish now I had waited, as I had to cut the cap legs, so they will be too short now to use your method. Don't suppose I could use some of the wire supplied with the kit to extend the legs? Or buy new caps I suppose. I have used orange drop caps. Where did you get your caps? Left the wiring though, as I wasn't sure how to go about it. But thanks to you, it will be full steam ahead monday...got family commitments tomorrow.
Thanks again mate, really appreciate it. :D

stan
06-10-2013, 01:30 PM
yes, you could use wire to extend the cap legs.
I'm waiting on some orange drops myself

Gavin1393
06-10-2013, 02:10 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on October 4, 2013, 20:37
Too easy, Andy.
You just need to push the woven cover back and solder away!

To earth everything on the ESG you will need to run a earth wire linking all the pots.
Make sure these links are long enough to give you some wriggle room when you feed everything in through the f hole.

The Gavmeister has written a great article on the easy way to do this.

http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=230

highace10
07-10-2013, 08:00 AM
The looped section on the legs of the cap just helps with manipulating all that through the f-hole. Just solder a bit of wire to the legs of the caps and use some heat shrink over the solder joint, good to go!