PDA

View Full Version : Gavins RC-1 Stone Roses Tribute

Pages : [1] 2

gavinturner
03-10-2013, 06:21 AM
hi guys,

I picked up an RC-1 in the recent sale and I've now got it in my hot little hands.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/8k169-20131002_16-30-07_small.jpg

Both my previous kits have been perfect, but I did notice a couple of things with this one. Firstly, the f-hole is really uneven. I guess I can probably sure it up with some 80-grit sandpaper - what do you guys think? What is the best way to approach this and not stuff it up? I'm a little jittery about attempting it, but we'll see how it goes.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/0uqnw-20131002_16-30-29_smaller.jpg

Also, there's a huge glued area in the heel cut-away - looks like some damage that's been filled. This isn't a big issue for me as I plan on painting with solid colour, but Wudtone or stain would have been out of the question.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/n46a0-20131002_16-30-58_smaller.jpg

I'm itching to get started! I'm planning on building a Stone Roses Tribute guitar this time around - go all Jackson Pollock on this bad boy. That's the plan anyway. The execution may well fall below my expectation, but we'll wait and see!

Oh ... hang on, my wife has just told me that the kit has to be wrapped up and put under the chrissy tree! Oh man, what a jip! Oh well I guess I can wait a month or three.. ;).

cheers,
Gavin.

57strummers
03-10-2013, 06:30 AM
Get rid of her!!! LOL

Gavin1393
03-10-2013, 06:45 AM
"F" hole looks just like mine did.....no biggie....a bit of sandpaper and it will be fine!

Glue issue looks a bit nasty, remove it and see what's left. Not sure why there would be glue in that spot as opposed to filler....so maybe someone just didn't clean up nicely!

stan
03-10-2013, 07:14 AM
sounds cool

go easy with the sanding - do a little, check and repeat - should come out fine. A small sanding block may help.

As for the glue - scrape and see like Gav suggested. If you wanted wudtone then you could do something like paint the inset black and wudtone the rest and do matching black edges or something - but your plan sounds cool

wokkaboy
03-10-2013, 07:26 AM
sounds like you got 3 months to think about it Gav, thats a rough deal !
Someone on the forum said glue some thin sandpaper strips to a popstick or 2 popsticks glued together to sand the 'C' hole - more of a 'C' shape than an 'F'.
As for the heel I'd try and remove the glue and sand it back, you may be able to fill it with a similar colour. Once you have removed the glue I'd take photos, post on here and make a decision then

gavinturner
03-10-2013, 08:16 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from 57strummers on October 2, 2013, 15:30
Get rid of her!!! LOL
LOL :P :P

Thanks for the hints guys - I'll give it some thought. At least now I know what I'll be doing on boxing day! 8-)

adam
03-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Hey Gav, nice to see you back on the site after you were unceremoniously blocked. I'm sorry about that "F-hole" but, as your namesake says, they all look like that. It's part of the build process to smooth that out.

I'm not sure about that glue spot at the heel, that looks a bit strange. Let me know if you find anything sinister underneath. The tailpiece will sit over that area, so it shouldn't be an issue, aesthetically, but is there's any structural issues, let us know.

lawry
03-10-2013, 09:09 AM
Hi Gavin,
The RC-1 I just finished had the same wobbly hole out of the box too, but it only took a little gentle sanding to get it looking good. My trick? I used an emery nail file to get the shape right then used some 220 grit to smooth it out.
Cheers

Brendan
03-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Gavin - mine was the same - I'll get around to posting some images of how I've dealt with it - sometimes it's nice to have friends with more skill than you!

gavinturner
08-10-2013, 10:20 AM
Thanks guys. Good to know my kit is the same as everyone else's. I'll attack the 'C' hole with some sandpaper and 'fools gold'. 8-)

cheers,
Gavin.

gavinturner
08-11-2013, 04:23 AM
Inspiration...

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/9jtp8-Stone_Roses_Build.png

pablopepper
08-11-2013, 04:48 AM
Time to channel Jackson Pollack.

Bass Guy
08-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Oh yes! This must happen! Please make this be a thing!

Andyport
08-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Go Gav, should be superb...I applaud you!!
Hard call for me that one...boxing day test match or guitar build.
Hell of a mess in the lounge room that day...nothing that the vacuum can't fix!!

stan
09-11-2013, 12:02 PM
do it Gav

gavinturner
15-11-2013, 12:54 AM
Here's my first stab at a bit of Pollock. I don't know art, but I know what I like (sic).

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/51e52-IMG_2734_smallish.JPG

cheers,
Gavin.

wokkaboy
15-11-2013, 01:06 AM
looks awesome Gav, how did you get this effect ? Looks very similar to the stone roses guitar. Should look fantastic on the RC-1

pablopepper
15-11-2013, 01:20 AM
I saw some original Pollock at MOMA in NY and I must say, you've nailed it Gavin. Great choice of colours.

Andyport
15-11-2013, 01:56 AM
Fantastic Gav.
Reminds me of 'back in the day' before digital printers, when we were signwriting everything by hand.
The backing board on my easel looked just like that :D

gavinturner
15-11-2013, 02:17 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys! :) It took me a few goes to get something I liked. Not as easy as I thought it would be! @wokka: I used acrylic artists paints mixed with a bit of low viscosity liquefying medium to make it runnier. Application was a combination of basically throwing it out of the mixing cup to get larger splats and small dots, and flicking it off the end of the stirrer to get long lines.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
15-11-2013, 02:26 AM
well done Gav cool effect you have nailed it. Was it your birthday on the 12th - Tuesday ? Happy birthday if it was !

gavinturner
15-11-2013, 02:30 AM
Yeah it was - thanks dude! And same to you for the other day!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
15-11-2013, 05:00 AM
yer cheers Gav, my 22nd birthday(again -haha)was on Monday. I got cash for my birthday will go towards a new Fender Mustang V digital amp head I've ordered for the Marshall cabinet, should make some cool sounds.

gavinturner
08-01-2014, 03:40 AM
hi guys,

Well, Christmas has come and gone and I am finally permitted to start my Stone Roses Tribute build! On (un)boxing day I ripped the original kit open only to find that there was a routing problem with the second pickup cavity that I didn't notice before. Unfortunately I didn't have a hope in hell of fixing the problem myself. Adam came to the rescue (amazing PBG service as usual!) and a replacement kit arrived on my doorstep today. I gotta say I'm very happy with the replacement kit over the original, with its nicely finished f-hole and some gorgeous grain on the rosewood fretboard.

I quickly did a mock fit to check that everything looks good (it does) and now I am raring to go. Looking at the mockup it struck me just how nice this baby would look in a natural (colourless or slightly amber) finish. Oh well, it's destined to have paint splashed over it!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/arh79-body_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/jv8dl-body2_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/84301-neck_small.JPG

I've got two other builds on the go at the moment, so I guess this baby will have to wait just a little while to get started. Can't wait!

cheers,
Gav.

Gavin1393
08-01-2014, 04:19 AM
That 'f' hole is a huge improvement over the one DB and I got!

wokkaboy
08-01-2014, 04:46 AM
nice looking kit Gav, what was the issue with the 1st kits pickup cavity ?

should look good with your stone roses tribute !

gavinturner
08-01-2014, 04:52 AM
@Wokka - the bridge pickup cavity was shifted 1/2 cm to the right compared to the neck pickup cavity, the bridge posts and the heel. Unfortunately if it was routed out back where it needed to be (ie in line with everything else), then the gap would have been visible from under the pickup surround.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-01-2014, 05:14 AM
ok cheers Gav, the Chinese factory still making some bad mistakes ! Seems they need a lesson making left handed axes too. Good that Adam got your replacement kit so quickly

gavinturner
21-01-2014, 09:01 AM
hi guys,

Since this is a special build for me I decided to make a video diary along the way. I've never done this before and this first installment (about mockup) is pretty crappy, but i'll post a link anyway. Maybe I'll get better as I go along? Who knows. I'm not TV presenter material that's for sure. Made quite a few stuff ups ;).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZIhLh4mkw8

cheers,
Gav.

adam
21-01-2014, 09:22 AM
Great video Gav, you're a natural.

wokkaboy
21-01-2014, 10:07 AM
Classic Video Gav, seems all Gavs are natural in front of a camera. Love the makeshift kitchen man cave. Wish my kitchen window view looked like that. I see you are trying to hide the tru-oil behind the turps or shellite bottle ! haha Look forward to the next installment great idea for a build diary !

gavinturner
21-01-2014, 10:13 AM
@Adam, @Wokka - thanks for the support guys. I'm hoping the next diary entry will be better. Can't stand listening to my own aussie drawl though..

@Wokka - yeah my man cave is a little one room flat we have set apart from the house. My 'workbench' is actually the bench of the kitchenette that I've had to cover with carpet to try and protect it. Across from that is the drum kit and the wall of axes that you see in most of my action photos :). You noticed the contraband huh? In fact, turps and shellite bottles! Haha!

cheers,
Gav.

crundes
21-01-2014, 11:17 AM
Awesome video Gav, it's going to be great seeing this guitar come together in such a detailed diary, I know I'll pick up some pointers on the way! Look forward to the next instalment.

AJ
21-01-2014, 11:17 AM
excellent stuff Gav

jarrod
21-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Well done Gav that's a great way to produce a build diary. I will be following these as you make them as I was considering a john lennon tribute as my next build. Great stuff buddy

gavinturner
21-01-2014, 12:47 PM
@Tim, @AJ, @Jarrod - cheers guys. I'm not sure I have much to impart to most people here, but I thought I'd give this format a try. It's really only for my own satisfaction, and to have something of the build left behind when it's all done and dusted.

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
22-01-2014, 01:21 AM
Good job with the video.

gavinturner
22-01-2014, 05:10 AM
@Fretworn: thanks dude!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
22-01-2014, 05:12 AM
Hey Gav when you get to the part where you splash paint all over the body to get the effect, are you going to drink lots of bourbon in the video as master DB recommended ?

gavinturner
22-01-2014, 05:30 AM
@Wokka - yes you are right! I must follow the advice of our luthier in residence! Bourbon it is. As you rightly surmise, the correct technique for achieving the pollock effect is to splatter ones own body in paint and then roll all over the object in question. No, wait..

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/jo2br-Stone-Roses104_medium.jpg

Stay tuned for that episode. Should make great watching :P .

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
22-01-2014, 05:45 AM
look forward to that episode Gav, another tip if you hide the tru oil bottle in the video you may get an earlier release from the naughty room ! I've given up any hope of a release at all and the hopes of wifi are diminishing !

gavinturner
28-01-2014, 07:55 AM
Another installment of my video build diary that's quickly becoming the cult hit of 2014. This week - shaping the headstock. Watch it if you are having trouble sleeping. Apparently, put a camera in front of me and the only adjective I can think of is 'trusty' 8O .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGD7QSEGEOU

cheers,
Gav.

Gavin1393
28-01-2014, 09:23 AM
You are a natural mate!!

gavinturner
29-01-2014, 09:13 AM
@Gav: thanks man - I've got a long way to go though before I'm a patch in you guys though!

Here is the headstock finished with the classic ricky 330 shark-fin. I've finally sanded out the burn marks left by my bench sander!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/m3is1-IMG_3445_small.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/h5n16-IMG_3446_small.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
29-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Another good video Gav. Some good information and nice safety gear. Might have to get DB to do a special video on sanding since he loves it so much.
Love the head stock shape looks good. Might improve the video if you can get some more close up footage. Otherwise as Gavmeister says you are a natural in front of the camera

gavinturner
29-01-2014, 07:38 PM
@Wokka - thanks for the feedback dude. I thought exactly the same thing when I watched it - need close ups when working on stuff. Somethng to improve for the next installment!

cheers,
Gav.

stan
30-01-2014, 10:23 AM
looking great so far Gav

gavinturner
30-01-2014, 10:41 AM
@Stan - thanks dude! The sanding is continuing...

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
05-03-2014, 08:22 AM
hi guys,

Another installment of my video build diary for this Stone Roses Tribute build is up on YouTube. This week - raising the grain and pore filling. It's about as self-indugent as it gets 8O . I never really meant for these diary entries to turn into a 'tutorial', but it seems that's what happened. Oh well. I don't pretend to know what I am talking about, and for that reason I wasn't going to post this episode up here. But I've had a few positive comments and decided someone out there might find it interesting. Let the flaming begin!! ;)

http://youtu.be/IHtAE0JEuxU

cheers,
Gav.

stan
05-03-2014, 09:10 AM
the most important question is how do you get away with doing this on the kitchen bench?

gavinturner
05-03-2014, 09:18 AM
ROFL Stan :) :) :). My man cave is a 1 room flat down the back corner of our yard. Got to use the kitchen bench as a workbench! There's no way in hell I could get away with it in the house....!!

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
05-03-2014, 10:00 AM
The vids are cool, Gav.
You know, I still think Ricky shapes are about the best in the world. I have a real soft spot for all of them. Keen to see this one come to life.

gavinturner
05-03-2014, 10:10 AM
@Lawry - yeah I have to agree with you. Ricky's just have that certain something - for me they ooze cool. I have a black 330 at home that I dont play often enough, but I also love the 4001 basses and would kill for a solid body 325 like Lennon played. I'm hoping this build will be something a little different, but still do justice to the classic shape.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
08-03-2014, 02:48 AM
hi guys,

The timbermate is sanded off with 400 grit, and 600 + 800 grits quickly followed. The surface is now smoooooth as! Got the bugger masked off and two coats of undercoat applied. Starting to look like something now. It's whiter in real life than it looks here. The light in my bathroom isn't the best.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/0ak31-2coatsprimer.png

After the primer is fully dry I'm going to remove the masking to make sure everything looks good, and then re-mask and apply two more coats.

Then I have to decide whether I need some white acrylic top coat over the primer, or whether the primer is enough for the Pollock to go on top.

Hmm decisions... I guess some white gloss acrylic wouldn't hurt.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-03-2014, 03:14 AM
Hey Gav looking smooth as, probably a white base coat would look better than light grey for the pollock effect, hope there's another installment soon of the video build !

gavinturner
08-03-2014, 03:19 AM
@Wokka - Yeah it's coming :). I wanted to let the primer dry completely before videoing the last part. Don't worry, the torture hasn't stopped yet!!! :P

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-03-2014, 03:32 AM
nah its not torture Gav, its good to see all the detail of pore filling the grain which I've never done.

The best video will be slapping the paint on for the pollock effect. Don't forget what DB recommended ! haha

gavinturner
08-03-2014, 03:56 AM
I haven't forgotten - I'm in training ;).

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
08-03-2014, 04:14 AM
haha Gav, you have been in training the 2 or 3 weeks in Europe with huge steins of tasty german beers. At least you will have forearms like popeye for faster sanding !

kells80aus
08-03-2014, 06:47 AM
All,

I think I need to have it fully assemble to get a better idea.
I don't have the bridge yet, it's still winging it's way from Shenzen. I used some gold bits there to get an idea, but I think it needs the real bridge to get a better idea.
I think it needs all the little gold screws to be in place.

Cheers PK
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/8q1s7-mockup-012.JPG

wokkaboy
08-03-2014, 07:08 AM
nice colours PK, I think thats a winning combo once your bridge arrives

Paul you have posted the pic in the wrong thread !!

lawry
09-03-2014, 08:19 AM
I just had a Monty Python moment then..

And now for something completely different.

@Paul. Yeah, cool guitar. And it's progressing nicely
@Gav. I too am looking forward to the next vid. I'd like to try a rattle can colour. Probably on a DC.

gavinturner
09-03-2014, 08:51 PM
@Lawry - thanks dude. My last attempt at spraying colour resulted in quite a few frustrating do-overs so I have many fingers crossed that it wont happen this time in front of everyone ;).

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
09-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Lol. That's what editing software is for. ;-)

gavinturner
09-03-2014, 11:36 PM
hi guys,

Here is the fourth installment of my video build diary for anyone who is interested. This episode deals with the completion of sanding, masking and spraying the initial coats of primer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=hxKDdT-JFNU

Watch it if you dare.

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
10-03-2014, 01:02 AM
Another excellent instructional video, Gav. These are going to be my 'go to' lessons when I do a spray build.
And man, are they bellbirds going off their nut in the background?

gavinturner
10-03-2014, 01:05 AM
Thanks Lawry. Yeah the house is surrounded by the little buggers. It's nice to hear them again now that the cicadas have stopped :).

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
12-03-2014, 08:15 AM
hi guys,

White gloss acrylic coats were finished today. I only have the binding to scrape and I'll be ready to give this a right old Pollocking.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/5806g-white_finished.JPG

Before that starts my son Eben and I are going to do another test run to make sure our technique is good. We've made a plywood mockup with this same shape and painted it with the primer and white gloss...

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
12-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Surely you can't give this axe a Pollocking. It's not a Jackson. Hehehe

gavinturner
12-03-2014, 07:51 PM
LOL. Ba Boom Tish. Nice one Lawry. :) :) :)

Cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
13-03-2014, 01:18 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EalqlDjTnPw

gavinturner
13-03-2014, 01:34 AM
LOL. I can only dream of a result that neat ;).

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
17-03-2014, 12:13 AM
The white gloss looks good. I could have easily finished here 8O . Next video diary entry is in the works.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/9j1lg-white_finished.JPG

When the Pollocking is complete we can compare this photo to the final one. Hopefully the concensus will be that the Pollocking is an improvement!!!

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
17-03-2014, 12:24 AM
If you're not successful with your Pollocking you'll get a bollocking.
Sorry, couldn't resist that. Hehehe.

gavinturner
17-03-2014, 12:28 AM
LOL. Damn Lawry!! :P :P :P

Still chuckling.
cheers,
Gav.

stan
18-03-2014, 02:50 AM
Gav, you are going to have to build another one and leave it white - it looks great

gavinturner
18-03-2014, 08:10 AM
Thanks stan!

gavinturner
18-03-2014, 08:12 AM
hi guys,

here is the 5th installment of my video build diary if anyone is interested.

http://youtu.be/AVs3GY79QKQ

cheers,
Gav.

adam
18-03-2014, 08:51 AM
Great tutorial Gav. Who'd have thunk that a razor blade in a bit of split wood would make such a useful tool.

gavinturner
18-03-2014, 08:55 AM
Cheers Adam!

stan
18-03-2014, 09:49 AM
great stuff Gav, love the scraper. I was wondering if you applied the Wudtone with a lint free cloth it might do a better job than you say you get with a brush?

gavinturner
18-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Hmm you could be right Stan. Definitely something to try. I'm certainly getting no joy with my brush. Maybe a better brush might be a possibility too?? I dunno. I'll basically try anything at this stage. Thanks for the suggestion!

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
19-03-2014, 12:56 AM
I thought maybe you would have left scrapping the binding until after you've done the pollock-ing, but I suppose you should only end with small touch ups at that point.

gavinturner
19-03-2014, 01:13 AM
@Geoff - yeah I did think about it pretty hard. Trouble is the paint I'm going to use for the Pollock is artists acrylic and it does dry a lot more rubbery than spray-on enamel. I thought I'd get a scrape in now just in case it's difficult at the end. I plan to mask the sides off again, but the tops may well be a problem to clean. I guess I'll just have to wait and see..

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
19-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Hmm I just tried it on my tester here. Yes, it's going to be a bitch to clean the rubbery acrylic off the binding. Joy!

cheers,
Gav.

stevierayvannabe
19-03-2014, 11:52 PM
Hi Gav, your build log videos are awesome. I have learnt quite a bit of what to do on my next build. Keep up the great work. Oh and you axe looks amazing just in white. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Cheers,
Brian

gavinturner
20-03-2014, 12:22 AM
Thanks Brian! I never really mean't for these things to turn into tutorials, just a diary for memory's sake. Trouble is the old uni lecturer in me comes out without it meaning to. If it is useful to anyone then I guess what the hell. I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on any of these things though - I've just trolled youtube (and read the super helpful Pitbulll posts!!) like everyone else! :).

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
20-03-2014, 06:25 AM
well done Gav, another great video tutorial, love the binding scrapers, will make up some myself for sure.
Think you did the right thing to scrape the enamel off the binding before the pollocking.
It does look excellent in white, maybe an idea for a future build a white RC-1.
Although DB recommends brushing neck coats on I still rag it on and get pretty smooth results. Plus cleaning a brush after each coat is extra work !
Keep up the good videos mate, can't wait for the pollocking video, is that about 2 videos away ?
What subject did you used to lecture in uni ?

gavinturner
20-03-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks Wokka. Pollocking should be the next video hopefully :). I lectured in Computer Science for a few years in Newcastle and Wellington NZ. Fun times, but unfortunately too light in the hip pocket...

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
20-03-2014, 07:31 AM
ok sounds good Gav, don't forget to stock up on bourbon before the pollocking video, you know DB will assign you another month in the naughty room if you don't !
Hope you took the puss out of the Kiwis while in Willington Gav, they deserve it !

gavinturner
20-03-2014, 07:59 AM
You but-cha bro! I sure did. Sweet as mutt!

cheers,
Gav.

stevierayvannabe
23-03-2014, 01:00 AM
Hi Gav

How's the pollocking coming along? I'm really looking forward to the next video.
Cheers
Brian

gavinturner
23-03-2014, 08:02 PM
@Brian - thanks man. I'm currently doing yet another "dress-rehearsal" with my kids to confirm the process and the look. After 3 tests I'm still not 100% sure I'll get the look I'm after, but at the end of the day I think I'll just have to suck it and see.

cheers,
Gav.

Andyport
23-03-2014, 08:11 PM
C'mon Gav...close your eyes and go for it!!

gavinturner
23-03-2014, 08:23 PM
@Andy - LOL yeah it's going to come to that!! :)

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
24-03-2014, 05:00 AM
hi guys,

It's question time!! My son Eben and I spent a few days doing a final mockup of the pollock paint job. The idea was to refresh our memory of the technique we used to create our initial prototype, and to see how much colour we wanted with the RC-1 body size. What do you guys think?

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/l4um3-dress_rehersal.JPG

We used only one pass of the colour set, and a bit less paint on this example. There is a lot more white showing through from the base coat than on our initial prototype. Here is a comparison of the two:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/646t6-dress_rehersal_compare.JPG

So which do you guys think looks better? Whenever I went back to the initial prototype sitting on its own, I kept thinking that there was just too much going on. Hence the test with less passes and less paint. But sitting them side by side I'm still not sure. Is less more in this case? Please let me know what you think.

cheers,
Gav.

Brendan
24-03-2014, 05:44 AM
More is more - I think I like the prototype more. I think the contrast of the pickguards mutes the effect a little - not in a bad way, but... Could you do a negative of the outline and lay it over the prototype with pickguard et al?

adam
24-03-2014, 06:37 AM
There's not much white space in Blue Poles Gavin. I would go with more paint, less white space. Any chance you can mix some colours so you're not just putting down primary colours?

gavinturner
24-03-2014, 06:52 AM
@Brendan, @Adam - thanks for the feedback. I agree with both of you - needs to be more paint. Much more like the prototype.

@Adam - yeah I would like to go with more complex colours, but my colour theory is so bad that I always end up screwing it up. It feels safe to stay with primary colours, but it does make the design look like a kindergarten painting ;).

cheers,
Gav.

stan
24-03-2014, 08:09 AM
to throw the proverbial feline amongst the avians, what about a black pickguard (or a red one...), oh and the proto for me too..

gavinturner
24-03-2014, 08:18 AM
@Stan - nah for an RC-1 it's just gotta be the traditional white pickguard! Ricky's just gots ta have 'em. But thanks for the feedback. Based on Adam's comments I'm now leaning towards some kind of colour theme - maybe more shades of blue to dominate. Still thinking...

cheers,
Gav.

adam
24-03-2014, 08:31 AM
Hey Gavin, I didn't mean to put you off, because I think your tester (on the square bit of wood) looked great. However, if you want to get into some colour experimentation, I've personally used this site a lot: http://colorschemedesigner.com/

gavinturner
24-03-2014, 08:39 AM
No sweat Adam, you just voiced what I've been thinking myself! Still super psyched ;). Thanks for the link - I'll definitely check it out!

Cheers,
Gav.

stevierayvannabe
24-03-2014, 11:28 PM
Hi Gavin, I really like the colours. I think the test piece density might work a little better as it will be cut by the white pick guard. Looking awesome, can't wait to see the paint when it's on the guitar.

Cheers,
Brian

gavinturner
24-03-2014, 11:43 PM
@Brian - thanks for the positive feedback. My current thinking is the same. Just try to get as close to the prototype as possible. My 10 year old son wants to do all the paint flinging now (under guidance? how *do* you herd cats??) so it's in the hands of the gods whether it turns out the same. Fingers crossed. I'm not sure we can go too wrong so long as there's enough paint. I'm very eager to see the results too :) :) ...

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
25-03-2014, 12:44 AM
I think either result would look great. If you aim for the less paint version to start with, you can always sleep on it a few days and decide if you need to go the whole hog.

stan
25-03-2014, 03:07 AM
all good Gav, if worse comes to worse you can always sand it again, enjoy the process

wokkaboy
25-03-2014, 03:57 AM
Hi Gav, I love the prototype looks excellent but Fretworn's idea is a good one put less paint on it and sit on it, can always add more colours later. I'd just try and replicate it as best you (or your son) can !

gavinturner
25-03-2014, 04:39 AM
@Fretty, @Stan, @Wokka - thanks for the positive comments guys! I think I've I gotta stop agonising over it and just go for it. I think the slowly, slowly approach could be a good idea - reassess after the first round and then play it by ear. Either way, it's time to get my (son's) hands dirty..!

cheers,
Gav.

sulistbu
26-03-2014, 02:17 AM
Hi Gav,
Re: Vid#5 Excellent tutes and very good effort, thank you very much

Budi

gavinturner
26-03-2014, 03:03 AM
@Budi - no worries dude, thanks for the kind words.

I'm certainly no expert luthier, far from it. But if my methods are interesting to anyone, or someone gets something out of it, then it's all good.

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
27-03-2014, 04:32 AM
Hi Gav. I've been away for several days and am just catching up on peoples builds. I think this is a tough call. If it were me I reckon I would do a bit and then give it a day to mull it over before making a decision on whether or not to add more. It's looking brilliant and I am in agreement with Adam in that there's probably still a bit too much white. However, you can splash it on but you can't splash it off and it would break my heart if you 'over indulged'. Sure glad it's your choice, mate. It's going to be a stunning axe!

gavinturner
27-03-2014, 04:36 AM
@Lawry - thanks man. If there was an award for longest procrastination and the most 'mockups' without actually getting the finish started, then I would be a clear winner with this one. Gonna bite the bullet any day now... ;)

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
09-04-2014, 03:52 AM
hi guys,

Ok, Eben and I are Pollocking like crazy. The next video diary episode is being compiled, but in the meantime here is a teaser update. The 9th and final colour in the first round of pollocking has been completed:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/c4yp6-layer9_front.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/q6tla-layer9_back.JPG

Unfortunately I got the colour balance a little wrong with the dark grey, and so the body is looking rather more drab than I intended. You can see how it looked back at layer 5:

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/l4011-5layers.JPG

Now the reds, blues and yellows have disappeared almost completely from the colour scheme! In the next round I intend to put these colours back in a big way..

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
09-04-2014, 04:03 AM
wow filling up nicely Gav, not much white background left. Agreed another layer of reds/blues and yellows and it should be ready to clear !

adam
09-04-2014, 05:18 AM
Looks great Gav. That's not your lounge room carpet is it?

gavinturner
09-04-2014, 05:20 AM
LOL - nah got carpet on top of the workbench. Wife would have lynched me months ago if it was ;)

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
09-04-2014, 06:48 AM
Looking damn fine, Gav. I agree with Woks, a few more Pollocks of primary (particularly yellow) will lift it no end! But hey, what do I know, I'm a bassist. That just makes me look cool, not my choices for other people. 8-)

wokkaboy
09-04-2014, 07:06 AM
Lozza you forgot to add you are a legendary uke player, think you should post the video on the video section of the forum !

lawry
09-04-2014, 09:05 AM
@Woks. I could post the video but Ads may be a bit cranky that I didn't use Toneriders.

jarrod
09-04-2014, 09:40 AM
Thats god dam wicked Gav. Well done for having a go at something different and well done for pulling it off. Seriously I cant stop comming back to look.

maxaxe
09-04-2014, 11:13 AM
Dazzling - amazing - it's the dog's pollocks :)
Incredible how impressive it looks after such a process.
Will you cut back to a uniform smooth finish or leave the texture as a feature?

gavinturner
09-04-2014, 11:42 AM
@Lawry, @Jarrod, @Max - thanks for the nice words guys.

@Max - unfortunately there isn't an easy way to clear this and be able to produce a flat finish. The paint is just too uneven with many peaks and valleys. I'm tossing up what to do. I think my choices are 1) spray acrylic but not cut it back 2) use wipe on poly.

I have a feeling the acrylic will have too much orange peel to be practical for this scenario. I'm leaning towards the wipe-on poly for this one.

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
09-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Wow Gav... Nice for a first attempt at a really difficult paint scheme..

My two cents worth as an old Art School student.. Layer five is where I would have stopped, Believe me, I know how hard it is to know when to stop but when doing this kind of Artwork it is often best to put down a few layers and walk away from it for a few weeks then come back with fresh eyes..

Keep up the great work and out of the square ideas, you will crack it Mate! :)

gavinturner
09-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Thanks DB. I absolutely agree with you. I thought hard about stopping at layer 5, but hindsight and all that. I'm hoping I can still pull something really special out of it. Good or bad, it's satisfied my need to do this tribute anyway.. Thing is, If I dont get it perfect this time I can see many more attempts in the future :).

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
09-04-2014, 12:38 PM
Thats the spirit!

One of the most important lessons I learned at Art School was NEVER be precious about your work!

This Guitar has been a huge learning curve for you, and involving the youngun has made it even more special. You will have many great memories in the future whenevr you look at this Guitar :)

Nickosaurus
09-04-2014, 10:34 PM
To be a real Pollock you'll have to eat over the guitar, smoke over the guitar, drink over the guitar, step on the guitar and not do any varnish ;p (art student here too)

I agree with Dingo... Coat 5 looked really nice, but hindsight is 20/20 right?

Some reds and yellows will lift that up quite a bit so you should do okay.

Fretworn
10-04-2014, 01:36 AM
Gav, this is looking great.

zeromick
10-04-2014, 01:55 AM
A thought... have you considered running an orbital sander over it with some 600 wet and dry paper? It'll take off some of the high spots and depending how far you go with it might even 'thin' the paint out a bit.

wokkaboy
10-04-2014, 02:34 AM
@ Zeromick --> this may work but Gav I'd certainly try this on your test pieces before the real thing - you may end up with a blend of colours and not the defined paint lines you are looking for. I'd say just poly wipe over the rough surface and keep the natural paint splotch look

gavinturner
10-04-2014, 03:46 AM
@Zeromick - thanks for the suggestion! Trouble is many of the colours overlap so a little wearing down one will just expose the colour underneath. I'm not unhappy with the texture - it's kinda par for the course with this technique. If i had used oil based paints then maybe I could have created a flatter result, but really I'm not too bothered.

cheers,
Gav.

johnnychronic
10-04-2014, 05:48 AM
Hey Gav I know you can flatten that but it will require 3 or 4 sessions of clearing and scuffing; if you apply the first 3 layers (session one) use a scotchbrite pad to scuff it up wait 24 hours apply 3 more layers scuff again and do some light sanding (carefully)with 600p if you were able to sand flat then one more session will do it, on the last you can use matt clear (that's what you wanted I believe) from the same manufacturer and voila. It does need to be flat before you use a matt clear because you can't sand it.
The guitar is looking killer. Oh yeah word of advice; don't put the tail piece in the middle it needs to be to the left of center or low E will come off the bridge at an angle. It doesn't show until you string it up proper.

gavinturner
10-04-2014, 06:08 AM
@Johnny - thanks for the advice! I'm still tossing up whether to spray or not. The tip about the tail piece is very welcome. I have noticed that the strings play havoc with the angles as they leave the tailpiece if it isnt positioned correctly!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
12-04-2014, 11:06 AM
hi guys,

Well, the 14th layer of colour is on. The plan was for 16 (white and black highlights still to come) but I'm really, really pleased with how this is looking.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/72q81-sm_IMG_4065.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/xr5z7-sm_IMG_4067.JPG

I'm still debating whether to stop here or not. I've already decided to stop on the headstock. I've ripped the masking off - it looks awesome with the colourless Wudtone neck kit :).

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/7h02k-sm_IMG_4068.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
12-04-2014, 11:10 AM
I'd stop there Gav. White and black will muddy the colours up rather than highlight. I think the beauty is in all the small blends of paint over the intercepts and I think white and black will be too strong.

Looks great mate. You really brought it back with those last few coats.

gavinturner
12-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Thanks Nick! Hopefully with some clear on the colours will look even better. Might even be seizure inducing ;).

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
12-04-2014, 11:17 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZzTpjh-NsQ

gavinturner
12-04-2014, 11:19 AM
LOL. Awesome!

lawry
12-04-2014, 11:22 AM
Yep, that's hot Gav! When it's done would you consider a contra deal with a seriously modded coconut uke?
8-)

gavinturner
12-04-2014, 11:33 AM
LOL. Maybe if you Pollocked it???? :P

cheers,
Gav.

Brendan
12-04-2014, 03:16 PM
Gav - looks like a lot of black is coming through already. The hero is the colour, so adding a shade instead will only take away from it. Leave well enough alone. My 2c...

gavinturner
13-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Yeah @Brendan I'm thinking along the same lines. I think I will take off the masking for a while and see how I like it as is. Live with it so to speak.

cheers,
Gav.

Fretworn
13-04-2014, 12:48 AM
I'm another vote for stopping now. It looks great.

gavinturner
13-04-2014, 02:28 AM
Thanks Fretty!

robin
13-04-2014, 05:53 AM
+1 for the stop now vote, Gav.

It looks great as it is, it would be a shame to overdo it now.

rob

lawry
13-04-2014, 08:24 AM
I've decided to go against the flow., Gav. Bugger it.
Add a few more sploshes.. Load it up. Do your worst. And then if you done like it just use Control Z.
;-)

stan
13-04-2014, 10:10 AM
If you are at a point where you like it , and still like it after some time - leave it.

Looks great - good balance at the moment

gavinturner
13-04-2014, 11:45 PM
Thanks guys. I've decided to leave the top and back as-is. Sorry @Lawry - I've lost my backup so unfortunately no undo is available 8-) . I'm not as happy with the amount of colour on the sides (i basically neglected it til now unfortunately) so I'm in the process of masking the front and flinging some more colour on the sides. After that all will be done!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
14-04-2014, 06:42 AM
hi guys,

Well, the Pollocking is finally complete. Thanks to everyone for their support and encouragement during this experiment of mine. I love the way it's turned out - very psychadelic!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/19qn9-1.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/1n62x-2.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/86555-3.JPG

To be honest I can't stop going back to look at it. The 471 tape masked the side of the binding perfectly. The top of the binding is heavy with the plastic paint so I'm not sure whether to attempt a scrape or just leave it as is. The pessimist inside me is urging me to leave well enough alone.

Next step is the clear coats. Since the acrylic is plastic anyway, I'm thinking strongly abount Minwax wipe-on poly.

cheers,
Gav.

stan
14-04-2014, 06:56 AM
sides match in perfectly Gav, good job

adam
14-04-2014, 07:47 AM
Gav, I'll be honest, at stage #5 or so, I was concerned. BUT, that looks fantastic! I'm not surprised you keep going back to check it out. It is a work of art.

If it is possible to clean the binding I would, I think it would provide a nice clean frame for the "chaos".

Well done mate! I'd can't wait to share this on our Facebook page, but I will wait 'til you're finished.

gavinturner
14-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Thanks Adam,
Yeah I agree about the binding. I've decided to try and make it a priority before I clear. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,
Gav.

adam
14-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Didn't somebody post a tool they made with a razor blade stuck into a piece of wood that was a perfect binding cleaner? Or did I dream that?

gavinturner
14-04-2014, 08:52 AM
LOL. Yeah, it will be a little harder with the plastic acrylic paint blobs as they will tear when scraped. Ill have to go around the inner edge with an exacto knife first..

Cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
14-04-2014, 09:32 AM
Ahhhhhh Grasshopper.....
You have channeled the inner Jack the Dripper perfectly :)

I disagree with the idea of cleaning the top binding..
The side binding is enough of a frame, I wouldnt want to jar the eye by scraping the top clean and creating a stark outline.

Pollock never framed his work. my 2c worth :)

gavinturner
14-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Sorry DB, I overruled you on this one :). The paint on the top of the binding just made the paint job look 'incomplete' and amateurish somehow.

I burned a little midnight oil and got the top of the binding clean. The combination of exacto knife and binding scraper jig did the trick. Makes it look like more of a professional job IMO. Now she is definitely ready for clear coats!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/5b8j2-4.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
14-04-2014, 01:52 PM
I guess he's just another Pollock imitator, eh DB? ;)

Looks good Gav. Keen to see the colours pop more with the clear on!

gavinturner
14-04-2014, 09:13 PM
Thanks Nick! :). Time to break out the Wipe-on Poly....

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
15-04-2014, 12:46 AM
well done Gav, its been worth all the layers you have put on and cleaning the binding looks great, this will be a stunner when its cleared !

Fretworn
15-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Did you paint inside the F-hole white, or is still bare wood. It still looks like bare wood in the picture, but that might be the lighting.

gavinturner
15-04-2014, 02:25 AM
@Wokka - thanks man! Yeah it's been a marathon, but the results have finally matched up with my initial vision. Very happy!

@Fretty - no i took great care to make sure no paint got in the f-hole at all. I really like to see bare wood when I look inside a hollow or semi-hollow guitar. It's the best look IMO.

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
16-04-2014, 12:40 AM
hi guys,

The 6th installment of my video build diary is available on YouTube if anyone is interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2LoGN-Ufq4

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
16-04-2014, 12:49 AM
excellent video Gav, saw it on FB. what was the 5th video about, not sure if I saw it ?
axe is coming along really well, look forward to seeing it after clear coats

gavinturner
16-04-2014, 12:57 AM
Thanks Wokka! Installment 5 was scraping binding and applying Wudtone neck finish..

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
16-04-2014, 01:58 AM
cool thanks Gav I have seen #5 video before.

pablopepper
16-04-2014, 02:33 AM
The painting process looks like a whole lot of fun! Turned out really great.

Fretworn
16-04-2014, 03:02 AM
Gav, hearing the bellbirds in your backyard always makes me think of driving holidays as a kid.

gavinturner
16-04-2014, 03:53 AM
Thanks guys. @Fretty - yeah I love listening to them. Something very calming about those little buggers. :)

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
18-04-2014, 05:54 AM
hi guys,

New pickups arrived in the mail today from GFS. These are the Retrotron "Liverpool" Mini-Humbuckers. Should sound pretty sweet.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/bit95-liverpool_minihumbuckers.JPG

Trouble is, even though the stock pickups that came with the kit are smaller than regular humbucker size, they are still a whisker bigger than this standard mini-humbucker size and the mounting screws are a little further apart. Looks like I'll have to make new pickup surrounds to accomodate these.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
18-04-2014, 06:05 AM
new pups look great Gav, so are you saying the mounting screws for the new GFS pups don't line up with the existing holes in the surround ?
Is that paint on your loungeroom carpet 8O ? hahahah

gavinturner
18-04-2014, 06:10 AM
LOL :) :). 8-)

Yeah the stock pups aren't a stardard size - neither humbucker nor mini-humbucker. I think the mounting screws are probably spaced for regular humbuckers, but the mounting rings and the routes for that matter are too small for regular humbuckers. Thought mini-humbuckers would fit (they almost do) so just need to re-make the pup surrounds and everything will be sweet!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
18-04-2014, 06:32 AM
yer ok, its always a gamble ordering parts online when the kit pups aren't a standard size.
What material you going to make the pup surrounds with ?
Hows the wipe on poly going, you started ?
PS just wheel a single seater sofa over the paint on the carpet and the missus won't see it ! haha

Nickosaurus
18-04-2014, 08:43 AM
You should see my bedroom carpet after my Pollock phase :D

gavinturner
26-04-2014, 05:26 AM
hi guys,

Well as many of you know from FB I've been struggling the last week with poly clear coats. The fails reached their obvious conclusion today and I gave up. The once vibrant paint job looked pretty damn ordinary. Oh well, I've resigned myself to a do-over with a simple satin finish.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/i3rho-scraping-back.JPG

Got half the paint off today with sandpaper and scraper. Still got most of the front to do. Will have to do it again from the ground up.

Bummer. Oh well I guess it's kinda like starting a new kit right? Right??

cheers,
Gav.

surfmusic
26-04-2014, 06:02 AM
Yeah, know what you mean, after being happy with my first build, I quickly "put it away" when some of the notes were a little off and the 2 & 1st strings buzz when played open. checked the nut and found out that the string "T" for those strings need to be moved closer to the nut, not worth mentioning but I defently need it to be better so thinking of either repositioning the neck of the bridge. so thats a one day job.

I will be interested to see how the RC-1 turns out, when I'M FINISHED "Les Pauling" it may be one that I could attempt.

Rickmo.

Fretworn
26-04-2014, 06:05 AM
Woah! That's a shame. Are you going to re-pollock it? Or will you go for a more traditional finish?

johnnychronic
26-04-2014, 06:14 AM
NOOOOOOOOoooooooooo!

gavinturner
26-04-2014, 06:15 AM
@Rickmo: Yeah it's a great kit. I would recommend it to anyone!

@Fretty: Yeah i'll be going for the same again. I was really happy with the paint itself. Unfortunately the poly I used turned the whites yellow and dulled all the other colours. Looked terrible in the end. Will go for the same paint with a few coats of satin clear this time. No attempts to produce a mirror finish...

@Johnny: Yeah that's what I said..

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
26-04-2014, 06:16 AM
nnnooooo!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N493CQgQ_Hk

gavinturner
26-04-2014, 06:18 AM
@Nick: LOL. Unfortunately yes. It will be back better than ever I hope..

stan
26-04-2014, 09:15 AM
sucks mate, hope it's still fun doing it again

gavinturner
26-04-2014, 09:26 AM
@Stan - thanks dude. Yeah it will be cool. Never miss a chance to fling more paint ;).

cheers,
Gav.

Brendan
26-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Sorry to see it had to come off... That said, seems to be coming off nicely - as if that's some kind of compensation.

gavinturner
26-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Thanks Brendan - yeah it's been all scraping and sanding so far. I'm thinking of buying some paint remover tomorrow, but I'm worried it might affect the binding. I guess I could keep it well away...

Cheers,
Gav.

Brendan
26-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Yep - know how much it hurts to sand back all your hard work...

wokkaboy
27-04-2014, 02:04 AM
yer bummer Gav, just think with the practice of take 1 you will do a better job this time and know all the pitfalls ! And produce another video of slapping paint on !

johnnychronic
27-04-2014, 06:10 AM
Gav try thinning your paint and your finish won't be as raised up but, test the mix so you know what kind of paint spread to expect.

gavinturner
27-04-2014, 11:52 PM
@Wokka - thanks man. Yep I'm looking forward to trying again :).
@Johnny: yeah I'll take more care with the liquifying medium this time. Definitely need a consistent viscosity to minimise the humps. Not that I care too much this time around. I think I worried too much last time to my detriment. I'll forget going for the gloss finish and stay with satin. That way the bumps in the finish aren't as much of a worry..

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
10-05-2014, 07:27 AM
hi guys,

Well in stripping back the paint from the body of the guitar, I have found that the binding is basically stuffed. Paint stripper and plastic just dont mix! Well duh. Another hard lesson learned. I contacted DB about replacing the binding for me, and he and Adam suggested that, as an alternative, they could send me one of the return RC-1 bodies at absolutely no charge.

Talk about being blown away - I was floored by their generosity. A big thank-you guys!! Once again you have gone above and beyond to help a woodworking screw-up achieve their luthieric dreams. I feel like tearing up a little to be honest! 8O

Anyway the new body and neck arrived in the post today. DB has made sure that the neck fits, and there is only a small issue with the body - the route for the bridge pickup is half a centimetre to far to the right. I set to with a small chisel (I have no router unfortunately) and now this is fixed. The adjustment is small enough that it is hidden by the pickup ring!! - no need to fill the gap on the right hand side.

Thankyou again to Adam & DB, you really came through for me yet again!!

cheers,
Gav.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/pib82-pickupfix.JPG

bargeloobs
10-05-2014, 08:17 AM
That IS sweet about the replacement body alright, those dudes rule. Should be all good this time round Gav!

lawry
10-05-2014, 08:43 AM
How cool's that. Not only does this forum rock but the support from the honchos is humbling. I hope all goes well this time Gav. And praise be to Ads and DB. Fantastic gesture, men!

adam
10-05-2014, 09:04 AM
Hey Gav, thanks for the kind, heartfelt words. For me, this is what it's all about... making new friends happy when and where we can. I'm sure I speak for Bones and Dingobass when I say that we get a real kick out of making you guys happy.

I'm sure you have all worked out by now, we've never been about profit, it's all about the Community and making sure everyone gets the absolute best out of these (let's be honest) ridiculously cheap guitar kits. One day we might make some money. If that happens, great. If not, at least we've built something constructive that can be useful for years to come.

If anyone reading this wants to help Pit Bull Guitars, we need to build our audience. We actually have a very small membership (compared to other web-stores). There are thousands of guitarists in Australia who would totally dig making their own kit guitar, but they don't know about us.

So, where you can, spread the love. Copy www.PitBullGuitars.com and paste it into every forum post, blog post or email you can.

gavinturner
29-06-2014, 09:56 PM
Hi guys,

Well, the Pollocking has finally commenced on the Stone Roses guitar (take 2). I've gotten to the end of the 9th colour layer and am ready to start the cycle again. I think she's looking pretty good, although I got a little liberal with the white in layer 8. Should look good after the second colour cycle.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/05jz1-9thlayer_take2.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

stan
29-06-2014, 10:09 PM
The awesomeness of the PBG team never ceases to amaze me, and they have done it again

Gav, this is going to look great and it looks pretty cool already - i actually love the look of inside the electronics cavity!

lawry
29-06-2014, 10:34 PM
Excellent Gav. The Phoenix is rising. This is such a cool project.

gavinturner
29-06-2014, 10:43 PM
@Stan, @Lawry - thanks guys. I'm pretty stoked to see this build progressing again. I had all but given up hope!

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
30-06-2014, 01:14 AM
looks excellent Gav, take 2 looks better with the practice, look forward to seeing it after next layer of colours, then whats the clearing process this time ?

WeirdBits
30-06-2014, 02:26 AM
I think it looks good now, not sure it needs another colour cycle. Have you eyeballed it with the hardware and plates sitting in place?

gavinturner
01-07-2014, 04:22 AM
@Wokka - thanks dude. Yeah it's gonna be some spray satin clear on this one. Nothing involved, nothing that could fail. Not even going to try to flatten.

@Scott - I've had a quick look - it does look pretty good! But we kinda had this discussion with the last attempt too :). I'm gonna just keep the faith I think, and assume that the after the next round it'll look even better ;).

cheers,
Gav.

Nickosaurus
01-07-2014, 05:31 AM
Let the Pollock run through you Gav :P looking good mate. It's the second coming!

gavinturner
01-07-2014, 06:07 AM
@Nick - you rock. The second coming!! That's the coolest in-reference ever. Gonna go add it to my blog right this second. Can't believe I didn't make the connection myself. Kudos dude!

cheers,
Gav.

maxaxe
01-07-2014, 08:46 AM
In this day and age, it is astonishing/refreshing to see a business that is passionate about what they do and how their clientele is faring. Not just in words, but in deed. Hats off gentlemen.

Gav - looks like you are really doing justice to the generous windfall this time around.
It will be the "dog's ballocks of pollocks" I reckon.

bargeloobs
01-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Lookin' sweet Gav, 2nd time's a charm...only better!!

gavinturner
01-07-2014, 10:24 AM
@Max, @Bargey - thanks guys. I really hope I can live up to generosity of Adam & Co. Fingers crossed that this time's a charm...

cheers,
Gav.

jarrod
01-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Said it the first time on my face or was it stalkbook or twatter, well one of them. This build rocks

gavinturner
01-07-2014, 11:27 AM
LOL :) . thanks Jarrod!

cheers,
Gav.

dingobass
01-07-2014, 01:40 PM
As Adam said, it aint about money it is all about passion.
Adam, Bones and I get such joy out of watching all you budding Luthiers develop your skills and build the Guitar of your dreams....
and when we can help the dream become reality we will do everything we can to make it happen.

For myself, I am always happy to share my knowledge.. as a wise man once said to me, (Wayne, 4D Guitars), it isnt knowledge unless you share it freely...

I am looking forwards to seeing MarkII come to life :)

pablopepper
02-07-2014, 12:06 AM
Nice one Gav. It's good to see this one coming back to life. Bravo Pitbull team!

gavinturner
09-07-2014, 04:38 AM
hi guys,

Well today I finished the second round of Pollocking. I don't think it looks as good as the first time, but it never does, does it?? Anyway I'm happy enough with it. I still have to clean up the binding and then it's on to the clear coats. Still considering my options in that regard...

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/nz016-finalpaint6.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/x0pmt-finalpaint5.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/lrll1-finalpaint7.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
09-07-2014, 04:41 AM
couple more..

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/a1a97-finalpaint2.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/70b0e-finalpaint3.JPG

Nickosaurus
09-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Some sort of satin spray poly would be the go I think. I spray a lot of my canvases that are painted in acrylics and it really boost the colours/tones.

stan
09-07-2014, 09:14 AM
oh man, this is too nice, I was hoping to have my LP ready for August GOTM, and now you go and do this....

Top work mate

gavinturner
09-07-2014, 09:43 AM
@Nick - thanks for the suggestion. I was thinking very similar thoughts.
@Stan - don't worry dude, your LP is awesome! I definitely wont be ready for August, and I don't really expect this one to place anyway - there's just too many incredible builds floating around at the moment.

cheers,
Gav.

bargeloobs
09-07-2014, 10:05 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on July 8, 2014, 13:38
hi guys,

Well today I finished the second round of Pollocking. I don't think it looks as good as the first time, but it never does, does it?? Anyway I'm happy enough with it. I still have to clean up the binding and then it's on to the clear coats. Still considering my options in that regard...

I reckon it looks as good if not better than the first attempt Gav, I wouldn't have thought in a million years I'd be into a paint job like this but I'm really diggin' it. In my honest opinion those black pup rings ain't working but hey what the f*#k do I know, just a drunkin' observation. Nice work bro!

gavinturner
09-07-2014, 10:11 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from bargeloobs on July 8, 2014, 19:05
In my honest opinion those black pup rings ain't working...

Thanks Bargey, you know I was kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe because the colour is brighter or something this time around. I just can't put my finger on it. Any suggestions? Maybe cream perloid? They have to look distinct from the pickguard - that's the main thing. I'm ruminating on it but don't have any ideas yet..

cheers,
Gav.

bargeloobs
09-07-2014, 10:16 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on July 8, 2014, 19:11

/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from bargeloobs on July 8, 2014, 19:05
In my honest opinion those black pup rings ain't working...

Thanks Bargey, you know I was kinda thinking the same thing. Maybe because the colour is brighter or something this time around. I just can't put my finger on it. Any suggestions? Maybe cream perloid? They have to look distinct from the pickguard - that's the main thing. I'm ruminating on it but don't have any ideas yet..

cheers,
Gav.

It's just like writing music, I can always tell someone what isn't working but not necessarily what does.
Let me have a play round in Photoshop and I'll get back to ya.

lawry
09-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Hey av. I've just been looking at the two versions and they are definitely different. But they both have individual character and to say one is better than the other isn't really a fair thing. They both look fot to me.

bargeloobs
09-07-2014, 10:47 AM
Just for shits n giggles I took your original colours within the paint job as well as a few others just to see what they looked liked included a fretboard brown, creme, pearly white and light grey. A few different ones to get the brain tickin' anyway.

http://i.imgur.com/mWqBdy7.jpg

gavinturner
09-07-2014, 10:49 AM
@Lawry - yeah I guess it's just personal preference. Might be a colour balance thing I think. It's just different. Come what may, this is the version I'm sticking with. I like it enough to keep it this way!

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
09-07-2014, 10:52 AM
@Bargey - thanks dude! Definitely food for thought. The white doesn't look bad, nor does the grey (silver!). I'm not sure I could go for the brighter colours but I am surprised how good the white looks.. I might make some White surrounds up to see if I like them.

cheers,
Gav.

bargeloobs
09-07-2014, 11:04 AM
Yeah the white would be my pick o the bunch too, either that or the brown (actual rosewood ones would be cool).

http://i.imgur.com/1OUE9Bo.jpg

stan
10-07-2014, 06:39 AM
they look good, i think white , grey or the black

ihasmario
10-07-2014, 08:40 AM
If you ever gig with the guitar, see how many drunken people you can convince the guitar is a magic eye of a smaller guitar (possibly with a magic eye of an even smaller guitar on it).

gavinturner
16-07-2014, 10:43 PM
@Bargey - yeah the rosewood does look good. Pretty difficult for me to pull off however ;). After all your hard work, I'm still leaning towards black or white.

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
17-07-2014, 12:26 AM
Hey Gav, I think white or black pup surrounds will look cool. Leaning toward white to match the pickguard

lawry
17-07-2014, 02:13 AM
Just as an aside, Gav. I'm in two minds about re-colouring my RC-1 (my first build). It's no secret I love blue Rickies and I'm thinking of doing just that. How hard was it to get all the colour off when you stripped back this? Especially having the set neck that you can't whip out.

wokkaboy
17-07-2014, 02:24 AM
should be pretty easy to strip back wudtone Lozza, I'd use a 180 and 240 grit orbital sander, shouldn't be an issue with the set neck other than around the neck/body join you will have to hand sand that area if you are retaining the neck colour, but if its going to be blue all over just attack it with the orbital.

gavinturner
17-07-2014, 04:57 AM
Hey guys,

Yeah mine was a bitch because of all the acrylic paint and poly I had lumped on there. Wudtone should be much easier depending on how deply the colour penetrates the veneer. I had no colour in the base wood, but the paint stripper I used to get rid of the acrylic murdered the binding :( .

cheers,
Gav.

maxaxe
17-07-2014, 08:53 AM
Oy Gavin . . .

White looks Right ;)
Colours look woeful . . .
Grey's a bit drab . . .
Rosewood is too sombre . . .
Take it from a consummate artist (self professed)

lawry
17-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Wokka and Gav. Thanks guys. That's very encouraging. Reckon I might make a start.

Cheers

gavinturner
19-07-2014, 10:52 PM
hi guys,

Time for clear coats! With the memory of this build's last bitter failure still fresh in my mind, I have finally decided to steer well away from Polyurethane in any of its many forms. So too, since my success rate with spray on Acrylic Lacquer is still less than 100%, I'm also reticent to go down that path with the Tribute either.

So what am I left with? Well, for my very first build I actually had quite good success using Behlen spray on nitro. It was easy to apply, it didn't run, and it tacked off quite quickly. And since I don't have to wet sand the Pollock, it seems like a convenient and stress-free choice for me to take. I even have a couple of cans of the stuff lying around!

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/3jx70-nitrocans.JPG

I'm going for a satin finish so should be easily achieved using just these 2 cans. At the end of the day, I'm only chucking it on for the protection! I have tried it on my "test" guitar and there foesn't seem to be any adverse reactions. Time to take the plunge.

cheers,
Gav.

WeirdBits
20-07-2014, 04:44 AM
To the naughty corner room warehouse!

Good luck Gav, hope it all goes to plan.

gavinturner
20-07-2014, 06:33 AM
Thanks Scott :). Yeah I think the 'N' word has earned me a life sentence. :P

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
20-07-2014, 08:03 AM
Hmm. N for Nitro. N for Naughty. Makes sense I guess.
I'm keen to see how the lacquer goes for you, Gav. Where did you get those cans? I've never heard of that brand.

gavinturner
20-07-2014, 09:26 AM
@Lawry, I got them from guitaraust.

http://www.guitaraust.com.au/finishing/aerosols.html

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
20-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Thanks Gav. Might get some rosewood too!

gavinturner
28-07-2014, 01:33 AM
hi guys,

Well the nitro is on and cured and the wiring is all but complete. She is 99% finished now - I'm just waiting for a jackplate and I'm done. Can't tell you how pleased I am with how she's looking. A fitting tribute to the coolest band of the 90s. Andy did me an authentic decal for the truss-rod cover to tie the whole room together. Looks totally amazing as usual.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/o1w9c-almost1.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/548cd-almost2.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/p425z-almost4.JPG

I've done a fret level and re-crown and installed a new bone nut. The action is low and she plays like a dream. Can't wait to put the final touch on and see her up on the wall. :) I'm one very happy camper - I'm alredy dreaming of an RC-4 bass companion to this guitar!

cheers,
Gav.

lawry
28-07-2014, 03:44 AM
Gav, the SRT is looking amazing. When I think of how much time, effort and heartbreak went into this axe it says a lot for your determination to see it come to life. And now that I have your address (you should never have sent it to me) I know where to go to steal it! Telenapper be buggered. I will be the Ricky Robber.

gavinturner
28-07-2014, 03:49 AM
Damn Lawry - I didn't think of that! Curses!! :)

Nickosaurus
28-07-2014, 11:18 AM
Love it. A tribute to a great band and my favourite artist :P

west0288
28-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Gav, I don't know how you do it. Simply superb.

You are the master of the painted guitar my friend.

stan
28-07-2014, 11:15 PM
so worth the redo Gav, great to see your vision finally realised - a fitting tribute and awesome axe, nice job

wokkaboy
29-07-2014, 02:07 AM
yer the 2nd build is a ripper Gav, you better lock it up, sounds like Lozza will pay a visit and take it with him !
Don't think I'll bother entering an axe in September GOTM, this will win it hands down !

Fretworn
29-07-2014, 02:22 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from gavinturner on July 27, 2014, 12:49
Damn Lawry - I didn't think of that! Curses!! :)

Gav, you can store it at my place, and then Lawry will never find it.

gavinturner
29-07-2014, 05:54 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys.

Today I received the jack plate and got in on there. Finally this build is complete! I never thought it would get there. She sounds awesome - I'll try to get a sound demo up at some stage. Alternatively, have a listen to Lawry's RC-1 sound demo and try to imagine that I'm playing. No, even I can't stretch my imagination that far :P.

Here are some glamour shots of the finished build.

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/59601-IMG_4858.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/sk62l-IMG_4856.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/q5v36-IMG_4832.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

gavinturner
29-07-2014, 05:57 AM
and...

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/c8zm0-IMG_4838.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/wq60a-IMG_4852.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
29-07-2014, 05:58 AM
nice work Gav, look forward to the sound demo. Looks like more than one forumite has volunteered to hide it from Lozza !
Maybe if you can please post a pic how the Riccy looks on the wall with your other builds

gavinturner
29-07-2014, 06:00 AM
and...

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/t6s4k-IMG_4859.JPG

http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/sbi8z-IMG_4819.JPG

cheers,
Gav.

wokkaboy
29-07-2014, 06:04 AM
great collection Gav, so is the black Riccy a real Riccy ? didn't someone give it to you ?

I see thats got 3 pickups must sound cool

gavinturner
29-07-2014, 06:18 AM
Thanks Wokka. Yeah that's my Ricky 340. No, that's someone else on the forum - can't remember who. This one cost me serious dollars! It's the only *serious* guitar in my collection :), although I do love my Noel Gallagher signature Epiphone too.

cheers,
Gav.