PDA

View Full Version : Thank you for the inspiration

stevierayvannabe
02-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Hello all,

I would just like to say a big thank you to everyone who posts their build diary's on the forum. I have every intention of building my own guitar but at the moment life has thrown me a curve so it may be a while.

Your build diary's keep me motivated towards that goal, and I believe that I will be able to complete the project even with my limited skill with wood working. I read every one of them.

Thank you again.

Brian

Gavin1393
02-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Chin up Brian! Keep your focus and maintain your purpose!
We will all trust that your worries will pass.

Tim
02-10-2013, 10:30 PM
Ditto on what Gavin said and we will look forward to your first build diary

stan
03-10-2013, 10:16 AM
i'll keep watching for one of yours, best wishes

Brendan
03-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Brian - doesn't matter how little woodworking skills you have - it's fun just having a go! (BTW - I think my Dad had a drill - oh and hammer and a screwdriver, so my woodworking skills are negligible at best).
Sorry to hear about the curve ball - make sure you're talking to someone about it and don't keep it bottled up.

Other than that - keen to see your build diary when you get going... What are you thinking of and we can all dream with you!

robin
03-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Hi Brian,

Yeah, life sucks sometimes mate. I'm going though a bit of a hard time at present myself and I found that building my guitars was/is the best thing for me. While I'm working on the guitars I can forget about life for a while. Better and cheaper than therapy.

Don't give up on your plans.

Like everyone else here I look forward to seeing YOUR build diary. It may just be the best thing you can do for yourself.

God Bless mate
rob

Scott J.
03-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Yep, the "bum notes" in life really suck sometimes ... but in the end they just make the "sweet tones" that much sweeter! ... just keep in mind that old latin saying, "NILS ILLEGITIMATO CARBORUNDUM" ... (don't let the bastards grind you down!) :D

Don't worry about the skill-levels that you don't think you have ... 'cause the bugger that never made a mistake, never made anything! - I'm sure all of us here will can admit to making some absolute "screaming" mistakes (and making them more than once, too! 8O )

We'll all certainly look forward to seeing your "build diary" when you get started (its always one of my favourite forum threads!) - but I've always found the interaction here on the forum with the rest of the PBG "clan" just as enjoyable as building the guitar itself.

So whether you building your 100th guitar or just dreaming about the first (and maybe only) one ... enjoy the journey (and along the way, we'll be enjoying it with you) ... and as Rob said it is (very) good therapy!

Andyport
06-10-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi Brian
sorry to hear things are a bit pear shaped for you at the moment.
Our family also has had a number of curved balls thrown our way this year.
To get out into the shed and do a bit more on my latest build, really is the best therapy.
And remember, it doesn't take a whole lot of skill to hold a piece of sandpaper!!
Looking forward to seeing your first build diary.
All the best, Andy.

GlennGP
06-10-2013, 11:01 PM
I can only echo the fellas above - and all I can say is, if I hadn't stumbled on these kits and this forum, and resolved to have a go, I wouldn't have been in the right mental place to recognise and realise the opportunity that's landed me where I am today (which is a pretty damn good place). Even if you think you don't have time, get the kit. Do a little bit every so often. Exercising the hands and the brain at the same time, and achieving stuff, is so good for your self-esteem, and lets you approach the other sh!t from a better place, whether you have control of it or not. Chin up!

dingobass
07-10-2013, 12:14 PM
Yep, get into the man cave and make a mess!
As our dear friend Robin said it is good to do something with your hands as this is good for your brain.
When it comes to making mistakes, well, I have a saying..
There is ALWAYS a work around :)
I can tell you that there very few things you can really stuff up when building a PBG kit and the sense of satisfaction you will gain is worth heaps.
Best wishes to you mate, look forward to seeing your build diary.

Humphrey
08-10-2013, 03:51 AM
HI
I'm happy to contribute to your next build if it helps you get your mind straight............say $40.00 ?
If it's not a money worry you have then keep level and one day at a time chum.

Scott J.
08-10-2013, 06:13 AM
Well, that just show's what I've long suspected - this forum houses the finest bunch of people this side of the "black stump" (and probably the other side too!) ... the kindness and generosity of the "PBG clan"-members knows no bounds.

Humphrey - you are truly a gentleman and a scholar and set a worthy tone for us all. As you said, should it only be a "fiscal deficit" that's of worry to Brian, then I will certainly follow your lead and (altho' only a bum Uni-student at present) I'm more than happy to "chip in" $20 to help out an aspiring builder who's down on their luck.

stevierayvannabe
10-10-2013, 09:50 PM
Hi all, This has just blown me away. I really appreciate the offers for help, but it's more a recovery time issue. Have to mend some bones after my motorcycle and I parted company this summer. Once I'm back to work things will eventually work out.

I find all the build diary's very inspirational and they keep me looking forward to when I can start doing more then just sitting and healing.

Thank you everyone for the support.
Brian

Humphrey
10-10-2013, 10:31 PM
keep in touch and mend well chum.

wokkaboy
10-10-2013, 11:32 PM
Yes Brian we are all thinking of you during this recovery period, keep reading the forum and build diary's and it won't be long till you can start your build. Think of all the knowledge and tips you are getting before the build starts as an advantage. In the meantime put some Stevie Ray on the stereo or watch some live concerts on youtube, I'm a massive SRV fan he makes my top 10 guitarists list without a blink of an eye

Scott J.
11-10-2013, 03:06 AM
Ah, a fellow two-wheeler! I can fully sympathise with your situation Brian ... its never fun having to "step off" the bike (even when its stationary ... though it's a lot less painful when it is! :D ) but unfortunately its always one of the risks ... they don't call us "temporary Aussies" for nothing!

(for those who haven't experienced it, there's absolutely NOTHING like having your gravel-rash attended to by a nurse with a scrubbing brush and dish of Dettol! 8O ... definitely NOT recommended!)

Anyway, we all hope your recovery is a speedy one and as painless as possible ... an "amber panadol" or two never goes astray.

Looking forward to eventually seeing your build diary posted in the forum here and hope the "iron-horse" isn't too badly worse for wear.

stevierayvannabe
08-11-2013, 03:17 AM
I'm starting to get excited. My better half has been asking me all sorts of questions regarding what kit I want and how to order it etc. This looks like it could be shaping up to be great Christmas.

wokkaboy
08-11-2013, 05:05 AM
great news Brian, sounds like you are on the mend and xmas is only 48 sleeps, so fingers crossed you get a shiny new PBG kit for xmas. What model kit did you have in mind ?

stevierayvannabe
13-11-2013, 10:37 PM
I'm wanting the lp-1m kit. I have always loved the les paul look. My Jackson is fun but the floating trem and I don't really get along. I am super excited about building a les paul style.

robin
13-11-2013, 11:40 PM
That's excellent new Brian. A Jackson and a Les Paul, the beginnings of a nice guitar collection ;)

Keep us informed mate.

rob