PDA

View Full Version : Building my SG.....third PBG build.

Humphrey
01-10-2013, 02:13 AM
This is it so far.

Neck glued and left clamped for three days after adjusting for correct set up.
Body has had colour coats, base coats, gold highlights and top coats and just one initial polish. The time span for that is a couple of weeks ++.
Headstock has been veneered in burr walnut from the UK and the scratch plate will match that. The hardware will be all gold with gold and black tuners.
The truss rod cover is brass pinned ( Probably never going to touch a truss rod myself ). The name Graham is in the Fender type face and cost me $20.00 to get done.

So, now I wait for a few weeks and let the body mature and cure and whilst doing that I will make the scratch plate and finish the surface to match the headstock veneer.

Looking forward to my next (4th ) PBG which I'm pretty sure will be a 335 style in ?????? finish . Don't know yet.

More later as Sydney Harbour is calling me. I drive the fast ferries.

Cheers all.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/477vd-Purple-1.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/9l12a-Purple-2.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/kx833-Purple-3.jpg

DanMade
01-10-2013, 03:44 AM
Wicked. Nice job on the headstock. And that colour looks great on the SG.

Can't wait to see what you have planed for the pickgaurd.

Humphrey
01-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi
Well actually I am following your example but my scratch plate is very small in comparison to your one. As I have said, that GOTM example of your s is stunning.
Onwards and upwards.

Humphrey
01-10-2013, 06:09 AM
Sorry, forgot to mention I am putting in copper shielding to all cavities.

gavinturner
01-10-2013, 08:46 AM
Looking great Humphrey. Interested to see wht you do with the scratchplate!

cheers,
Gavin.

lawry
01-10-2013, 09:52 AM
That is a great colour. Looking forward to see how it develops.

goatis 1
01-10-2013, 02:41 PM
that looks puuurdy :)

wokkaboy
01-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Looks great Humphrey. Are you going to cut a headstock shape? Love the grain on the veneer. Should look fantastic once Black and gold hardware is on the purple body. You got the ama nice and dark!

jase
01-10-2013, 09:31 PM
The color is really starting to grow on me. Great job.

57strummers
01-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Great colour for this, like it a lot

Tim
02-10-2013, 12:55 PM
Colour looks great and like Wokka asked I was wondering if you were going to shape the headstock.

Humphrey
02-10-2013, 10:56 PM
Hi all,
Thanks for your comments. The deeper colour , I think, has come from a high ambient temperature in Sydney for the last few weeks. I actually let it cure outside, undercover, and this is what happened. Have to be a chemist to work out why but 30 degrees C had something to do with it I'm sure.
Now, the headstock . Hum. I'm not the best woodworker and don't want to stuff it up. I will think about that one and suppose I should have done it before adding the British Burr Walnut. Let me see what it looks like with the beautiful tuners I have found on Ebay.

wokkaboy
03-10-2013, 04:09 AM
Humphrey, its not too late to shape the headstock, this should be done with the veneer glued so you get an even cut. I'd recommend draw a shape on a scrap piece of wood and practice. You only need to cut the rough shape then sand it down to final shape, even if its a standard SG shape, it would look much better than a square edge headstock. Without the headstock shaped to me the guitar looks unfinished

Scott J.
03-10-2013, 08:54 PM
If you do plan to shape the headstock its definitely easier after its capped with the veneer (otherwise you end up doing the same work twice ... like I did! :D ) just give it a good taping-up to protect the veneer during the process ... but with a patient and a steady approach (and a fine-tooth saw blade) it'll be fine.

... and if you're looking for a regular h/stock shape, a google image search will bring in the goods - there's plenty of .pdf files on the net for all the major (and minor) brands

GlennGP
05-10-2013, 09:25 PM
Really quality job, nice one.