PDA

View Full Version : Scratch plate engraving

lawry
29-09-2013, 10:48 PM
Hi Guys (non gender-specific term of endearment),
Here's the story. I have just finished my first build and want to add a little something to it to make it unique. So I thought about getting the scratch plate engraved with the guitar's name. The same sort of engraving you see on name badges etc. Does anyone know where I could get this done? I have tried a couple of places around the town in which I live but haven't had any success so I'll probably have to send it away. The scratch plate is a 3 layer white/black/white type so cutting through the white to get a black contrast should look pretty good. Any suggestions?

Cheers

pablopepper
30-09-2013, 12:30 AM
I would think your local key cutting/shoe repair place should be able to do it. Most around my area offer custom engraving on metal and glass and I'm sure they would give plastic a go.

pablopepper
30-09-2013, 02:37 AM
Another idea would be a trophy store.

lawry
30-09-2013, 02:53 AM
Never thought about a trophy shop. Good call. Thanks!

goatis 1
30-09-2013, 06:28 AM
id maybe try a cabinet maker or some one that has a laminate cutter ( small router ) , or some one with a small CNC machine etc , the only reason i say this is because the standard etchers might not go through the white top layer of the scratch plate with out a bunch of effort

on a side note , the last time i was in my local masters ( if you call 50 km local =\\ lol )they had a dremel tool that actually had a flat steel base on it ( the whole thing was shaped kinda like a sander ) that i want to get to do stuff like this , and make inlaying easy , but theyre 150 a pop

DanMade
30-09-2013, 06:46 AM
Check this thread out. http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=668

I had them make me an engraved trussrod cover. Excellent service, very quick.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/1n046-image.jpg

lawry
01-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Wow. Checked out their page and was really impressed. I'll have to get in touch with them because after seeing what can be done, I want one!
Thanks.