PDA

View Full Version : Bass Strings

Rohan
26-09-2013, 11:13 PM
Hi Guys,

I was wondering which bass strings I should get for my IB5 kit.

There seems to be some variation in the "standard" guages. I was looking at the D’Addario EXL170-5 Nickel Wound 5-String Bass, Light, 45-130, Long Scale. The strings guages are .045, .065, .080, .100, .130.

Would this be appropriate? What do the Kit guitars come with?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Rohan
27-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Cheers,
Rohan.

Brendan
28-09-2013, 03:35 PM
Rohan - sorry haven't got back to you - not sure what the kit strings are for the IB-5. I haven't got a set of calipers here or I'd check for you. I've currently got some D'Addario ECB81-5 Flatwounds waiting for my IB-5 build. They're .045, .065, .080, .100 and .132.

I'll let you know how they go, but I'm not planning on starting the IB-5 build until November, so won't have anything too soon.

In terms of appropriate - I think so - but it will depend on your playing style. Are they going to be terrible - don't think so.

BTW - the D'Addario's that you're looking at are the same gauge as the Ernie Ball flatwounds that I was looking at but were out of stock at the time.

dingobass
29-09-2013, 03:20 PM
Wot Brendan said...
Cant go wrong with either the Ernies or D'Addies flat wounds. I use both and love em both.
The Ernies are nickle and are very warm, perfect for blues.
Daddies come in stainless steel and are much brighter so great for rock, metal, punk or grunge

lawry
29-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Hi Rohan,
I have two 5 string basses. Both are Schecters (one fretted and one fretless) and I use the D'Addario ECB81-5 like Brendan. I love the feel and fatness of the sound. By far my favourites of the ones I've tried over the years.

Rohan
01-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your feedback. I always like a good recommendation. I don't have much experience with bass guitars and the types of strings that are out there.

The bass strings are much dearer than guitar strings. Do they require replacement very often?

Cheers,
Rohan.

dingobass
01-10-2013, 07:12 AM
Nope... Bass players NEVER change strings until one breaks :)..

lawry
01-10-2013, 08:10 AM
Definitely agree with DB. I've been playing bass for over 40 years and have only ever replaced them when they sounded very dead or failed. My current weapon of choice is a 5 string fretless and I want a big, round fat sound, so dirty old strings are giving me the sound I want. Who'd a thunk it.

Brendan
01-10-2013, 02:30 PM
Is once in 11 years never? If so, I must be a bass player :).

Gavin1393
01-10-2013, 03:41 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on September 30, 2013, 16:12

DB! You cheap bastard making good progress with my Pink Fretless?

pablopepper
01-10-2013, 09:30 PM
I'm gonna have to play devil's advocate on this subject... I love the bright snappiness of new bass strings and change mine regularly. At least twice a year.

Fretworn
02-10-2013, 02:00 AM

I have a friend who is a semi-professional bass player who would disagree vehemently with you. Having said that, for many gigs he needs to use strings that have been well played in, as the brightness of new strings would be inappropriate.

lawry
02-10-2013, 07:01 AM
I can certainly understand why some bassists would want to change their strings more frequently than I do. Particularly if they're into slapping, popping or want an edge to their sound. But for me, playing a fretless with a bent towards jazz, I just love the smooth and fat sounds of 'well aged' strings. Horses for courses.

Timsan
03-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Regarding old strings, somebody showed me this clip a little while ago on how to get some more life out of old strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8OYeN9mAL4

MarloweDK is a great bass teacher, but I can't tell whether this is serious, or whether he's trolling. Subsequently I haven't given it a shot yet to see if it works...

lawry
03-11-2013, 10:32 PM
Funny that this thread has just had an entry. I was gigging last night and thought it was time to try and clean the strings up a bit. I love the sound of my well worn strings on the fretless but they're getting a bit gunky. So... I thought I would take them off today and take them into work tomorrow. We have an ultrasonic cleaner in the workshop and I thought I would see how that goes for getting the crud out. Watch this space!
PS. I can't the link to work Tim but I'm not sure if it's me or youtube.

Bass Guy
04-11-2013, 12:54 AM

Hehehe... Depends on the application and style of music. When I was recording a lot (back when Jesus played fullback for Israel :D ) I would change strings every second session to maintain tonal consistency, but for gigging or home playing once a year is more than adequate. Or unless one breaks.

Most bass strings nowadays seem to be made to last quite a while. Certainly the set I favour (La Bella HRS 5string 45-128) seem to keep their snap for ages. The only bad experience I have had with bass strings was with Rotosound, which is ironic as they have the reputation for being the brightest back in the 60s. They may have improved now as it's been about 10 years since I tried them last.

It is an expensive exercise, but it takes a while to find a favourite. It's worth experimenting with a variety of sets- maybe pick up a mate's bass with different strings and see how they feel/sound.

Timsan
04-11-2013, 04:09 AM
Weird... it embedded OK here. Try copy/paste http://www[dot]youtube[dot]com/watch?v=s8OYeN9mAL4

then remove the [dot] both times and replace them with a .

pablopepper
04-11-2013, 05:05 AM
I've managed a bit of luck with strings lately. I use Ernie Ball's these days, but last time I was in JB hifi they had Marshall brand strings on sale, $5 for guitar and $10 for bass. Never even knew Marshall made strings, but $10 was way too good to refuse so I got the three last sets. Opened them up to restring my old Ibanez and what do you know, made by Ernie Ball. I reckon they are repackaged super slinkys.

So, hot tip of the day, if you use EB's, or you just want some cheap, good strings, check your local JB.

lawry
04-11-2013, 05:09 AM
Tried it again and all is sweet. Weird.
So... I watched the clip and, an interesting idea that's easy enough to try. And he sure makes slapping look easy.

Timsan
04-11-2013, 06:23 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on November 3, 2013, 14:05
I've managed a bit of luck with strings lately. I use Ernie Ball's these days, but last time I was in JB hifi they had Marshall brand strings on sale, $5 for guitar and $10 for bass. Never even knew Marshall made strings, but $10 was way too good to refuse so I got the three last sets. Opened them up to restring my old Ibanez and what do you know, made by Ernie Ball. I reckon they are repackaged super slinkys.

So, hot tip of the day, if you use EB's, or you just want some cheap, good strings, check your local JB.

I wonder if they do 5 string sets...