PDA

View Full Version : Can I glue over Wudtone/enamel?

lawry
26-09-2013, 08:09 PM
Hi guys,
I have searched through the forums but not found a thread on this (though I may have missed it). I am at the stage of gluing in a set neck and there is some Wudtone and clear enamel on the surface that needs to be glued. Should I be sanding this back before applying the glue or doesn't it matter? All advice appreciated.
Cheers,
Lawry

Gavin1393
26-09-2013, 08:44 PM
Simple answer, yes......
You would be using a wood glue to glue the neck on. If you want a proper adhesion, the glue needs to attach itself to bare wood. If it attempts to attach itself to enamel or Wudtone, at the first bit of string tension the adhesion between paint and Wudtone/enamel may hold, but the adhesion between paint and wood will not.

lawry
26-09-2013, 10:05 PM
Hi Gavin,
You're up early!
Thanks for the response. Just a bit of clarification if I may. Is that 'Yes' to sanding or 'Yes' to glueing over the Wudtone? I am fairly certain you are saying that if I don't sand back the coatings then the joint will likely fail. Yeah?
Cheers

Rohan
26-09-2013, 11:01 PM
He is saying to sand back to bare wood (no Wudtone or enamel). ;)

Brendan
26-09-2013, 11:41 PM
Lawry - also - make sure you get yourself some good glue - none of that Aquadhere stuff - from memory someone found out the hard way what the limitations of that stuff are... If you can, pop off to a Carbatec or similar and pick up some Titebond or buy the PBG stuff - all much better. 8-)

<edit> and funnily /strangely enough - cheaper! Go figure :? <ends edit>

lawry
27-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Hmmm.
Thought that may have been the case. That will make it interesting as far as getting the sides of the neck and body to contact each other for the glue to bind. The gap will be big enough so that there will be no wood/wood contact, yet too small to put a shim of something in there to keep things tight. Any suggestions?

Gavin1393
27-09-2013, 03:15 AM
The part that needs to bind is the flat part of the neck cavity and the underside of the neck.....sides are not an issue....Endorse Brendans suggestion to get some Titebond.

lawry
27-09-2013, 03:55 AM
Thanks guys. I appreciate your help. When I bought the kit I also bought some PBG neck glue so now I feel much more comfortable in progressing to the next stage. I'm really impressed with the speed and willingness of people to jump in and help out here. It was only this morning that I started this thread and I already have a resolution.
Cheers!

Brendan
27-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Hey - we're all beginners - PBG have only been around for just over a year! We're all learning together so it's a great time to be around!

lawry
28-09-2013, 12:11 AM
Brendan. Thanks for the replies. I notice that your current build is an RC-1, which is what my build is. Probably the closest I will ever get to a Ricky-like guitar! I am just about to glue the neck into the body and am wondering how long it takes for the PBG glue to set/dry. Can you help?
Cheers.

Gavin1393
28-09-2013, 04:23 AM
2 hours in normal weather.......

lawry
28-09-2013, 04:26 AM
Thanks Gavin,
It's been about 6 hours, so that makes it time to take of the clamps. This is getting very exciting!

dingobass
28-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Great work guys!
For future reference,the PBG glue needs only an hour clamp time... 40 minutes in hot weather.
Full strength is reached in 24 hours.

Brendan
28-09-2013, 12:11 PM
Lawry if you are building a Ricky, make sure you check out Gav's and DB's Rickys - both are more than spectacular! Mine hasn't had an update as I'm waiting on some kit to take it to the next stage (all will be revealed once it's in!).

lawry
02-10-2013, 01:55 AM
Hey Brendan,
Point taken about the big boys' builds. Cool! Can't wait to see how yours goes, especially after seeing your previous results. As for mine? I am really pleased with the end result for a first attempt. Learnt so much along the way with the help of the forum and actual hands-on. Definitely have to do another just so I can get better. All in the name of self improvement you understand. Not because I think I may become addicted.
And thanks DB for the heads-up on curing time for the glue. I was so itchy to continue but thought I had to wait 12-24 hours before I proceded. That won't happen again!