PDA

View Full Version : Woodtone swatches

26-09-2013, 01:53 AM
Hey guys, new to the forum. I bought a pitbull TL-TH kit a month or so back but have been so busy with work i havent had time to do anything with it yet. Now ive got a bit of time off i want to get cracking with this project but havent been able to decide on a colour.

I was going to go the woodtone route after seeing how successful others on the forums have been with it, but ive had a hard time choosing a colour that would suit the kit i ordered.
I was gonnna go with carmine gypsey, but ideally id like a darker shade of red. Then i was toying with the idea of going with mahogany, but the pictures on the site for this colour vary hugely!

From this (which looks almost like hot auburn)
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Mahogany3-600x515.jpg

to this
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/SG-1-06-600x600.jpg

So I was thinking, it would be great if you guys could maybe apply some of each shade of woodtone to some scraps of wood to make a sort of colour indicator for the site, to make it easier to get an idea of what each colour will look like when its finished (some of the colours already have this but not all of them). Its just difficult to choose, especially with the woody colours.

Anyway, stoked on my kit (had to resist buying another already with the 25% off sale), and cant wait to get started. Also if anyone has any good pics of what the mahogany looks like when its done that would be awesome!

Cheers

Fretworn
26-09-2013, 02:14 AM
I think the trick is to look for pictures where the guitar is the same type of wood. Your kit is basswood, the SG picture above is basswood, so you would be more likely to get a finish like the bottom picture. Having said that the lighting is very different in both those pictures and you can get different results by using different amounts of base coats, and deep colour coats etc.

26-09-2013, 02:34 AM
Hmm true, I think a dark colour is going to look better with the binding and pickguard that come with this kit. so hard deciding!

Brendan
26-09-2013, 07:38 AM
Other option entirely is to contact DB through DingoBass@pitbullguitars.com. He has in the past been known to come up with special blends (if one asks nicely enough (and says nice thinkgs about dingoes))... The difference in colours could also be due to the amount of deep base and base coat applied during the staining of the guitars. From memory Wokka has a couple of Mahogany kits (and loves the colour), but it is a brown not a red. I'm sure Woks will be around soon to point you in the right direction...

Gavin1393
26-09-2013, 08:02 AM
DB has current specials on blends with Concho Girl pink.....

dingobass
26-09-2013, 10:12 AM
But only for Gav....

27-09-2013, 01:19 AM
im not man enough to play a pink guitar

Rohan
27-09-2013, 01:30 AM
Wudtone should really have colour-calibrated pamphlets/brochures that can be sent on request.

It is impossible to identify actual colours on the net unless you have a colour-calibrated monitor and images with embedded colour profiles.

Do they have that in the UK?

adam
27-09-2013, 03:01 AM
I like the idea of swatches, but the problem is with the number of variables, you could never guarantee a colour match, unless you did a swatch for every combination. There's at least 6 (common) types of wood, number of coats (1 - 4), amount per coat (heavy/light), lighting (indoor/outdoor) multiplied by 26 Wudtone colours... that's about 2,500 swatches.

I think the best option is to keep up the Gallery and encourage builders to detail their Wudtone finish process.

Gavin1393
27-09-2013, 03:27 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Rohan on September 26, 2013, 10:30
Wudtone should really have colour-calibrated pamphlets/brochures that can be sent on request.

It is impossible to identify actual colours on the net unless you have a colour-calibrated monitor and images with embedded colour profiles.

Do they have that in the UK?

Glossy brochures cost extra money, most muso's haven't got extra money.....

How much more do you want to pay for your Wudtone? ;)

27-09-2013, 04:38 AM
it would be good to detail the wood type and number of layers for the guitars pictured as examples in the store where you buy the woodtone. theres such a massive difference between colours of the first tele body and the SG dingo built, it would be good to know how many coats etc were used for each one.
Sorry if im being picky here but theres only really one chance to get it right, so i want to make sure i get a colour im going to be happy with