PDA

View Full Version : Multi-wire single coils

cornishintasmania
22-09-2013, 09:29 PM
Hi,

I have bought a TL1 and bought some additional pickups from GVS as they were on sale. The pickups have more wires that I was expecting though and the only wiring diagram I can see that relates is for a humbucker.

Each pup has:
- a red/white wrapped together wire
- a green wire
- a black wire
- a silver coated wire

I'm sure the answer is simple but this is my first time wiring a guitar and I can't find the answer anywhere. Any help gratefully received.

Thanks

Tim

Brendan
22-09-2013, 11:49 PM
Any details / photos on the pickup - it does sound like you've got a humbucker with 2 coils. Silver coated wire sounds like your ground. Other than that - it could be a North and South coil (they're magnetic and for humbucking one goes one way the other the other). Two wires would be from one coil, the other two from the other. If that's the case there are a range of humbucker diagrams around.

cornishintasmania
23-09-2013, 01:38 AM
It looks like the forum won't let me post a url - or perhaps the post is in moderation. Just in case...

The pups are Guitar Fetish "Neovin Noiseless Tele Pair" (can't post url with description and pictures). Definitely single coil, they look like normal Tele pickups.

It says that they come with instructions but the instructions for single coil say there are only two wires (black and white) and the humbucker instructions show the wires that these single coils have. Looking at the humbucker instructions, Green goes to positive and everything else goes to ground but that seems strange to me - and in any event is for a humbucker.

Thanks for your help.

Brendan
23-09-2013, 03:30 AM
Looking at the GFS site - they do say that there is a 'a little "P.A.F." thrown in for good measure' (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Power-Rock-neovin-Noiseless-Tele-Pickup-Pair_p_626.html). A P.A.F. according to Wikipedia is a type of Humbucker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PAF_%28pickup%29). Also, given that they're "noiseless", that'd make sense. Looking on the site, I can see the variety of wires coming out, so all considered, I'd probably consider it a set of humbuckers and wire it that way... May be worth an email to their tech support for some tips.
Gav / DB?

Brendan
23-09-2013, 03:33 AM
Just flicked off a quick email to them myself - look interesting for a tele down the track (when I can play a 6 string) :).

cornishintasmania
23-09-2013, 07:32 AM
Thanks a lot for your replies Brendan, much appreciated. I've got the "Hard Vintage" pair (http://www.guitarfetish.com/Hard-Vintage-Neovin-Noiseless-Tele-Pair_p_426.html) which doesn't mention P.A.F. but I expect you're right.

I will email their support and see how I go - and post the reply here.

cornishintasmania
26-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Here's the reply from Guitar Fetish:

Black and shield to ground.
Green to +
Red or red/white taped off so as not be able to make contact with anything else

I'm not convinced though as their diagram says that that is the wiring for a humbucker. We shall see...

Brendan
26-09-2013, 10:27 AM
They weren't that helpful to me either -

"These are a noiseless, classic, single coil Tele tone set.
That's about all I can tell you."

I guess go with their diagram - keen to hear how it goes.

goatis 1
26-09-2013, 11:46 AM
youll find theyre stacked humbuckers , instead of the 2 coils side by side theyre stacked one on top of the other ,this is to bring the sound away from a normal humbucker sound and more towards the single coil sound but still having the twin coils there to stop the hum ... the red and white wires taped together are the start and end of the separate coils , they come like that incase you want to coil split ( on true single coil pups , you could see the same set up as a coil tap )

my suggestion is use the black as the negatives on the controls them self , and send the braided ground direct to ground , like to the top of your pots

dingobass
26-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Brendan, you are a legend!
What Goatis said is right...
I am feeling redundant :)

It is great to see forum members jump in and help each other out.

cornishintasmania
26-09-2013, 07:59 PM
Thank you very much everyone! So Goatis, would that leave red/white taped off and not in contact with anything or connected to ground?

Many Many thanks!

Gavin1393
26-09-2013, 08:55 PM
Noooooooooo! Don't let the red and white wires touch ground. You'll short the circuitry! If you have access to a multimeter you will find as is mentioned earlier in the thread that the red and white wires are the start or the end of their respective coiils. The multimeter would clearly show you (if set on resistance) which is which. That being said, the green and the black wires are the start and the end of the circuit . So! If you are not going to coil split, which as a beginner, i suggest is a good idea to avoid, then simply attach the green wire to your HOT connection and the black and silver wire to your GROUND.
Hopefully, it should now make sense to you that if you also attached the red and white wires to ground that would render that part of the coil redundant . The red and white wires are attached to each-other only and that connection should be insulated so as not to come into contact with anything else. If you are coil splitting then one of those two wires would go to the HOT and the other would indeed go to ground.

cornishintasmania
26-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Perfect, thank you!

goatis 1
26-09-2013, 10:37 PM
just remember to use 500k pots ;)