PDA

View Full Version : EX-1 wiring issues

iNSANE
19-09-2013, 07:37 AM
I hate to admit it, but I'm having some issues wiring my EX-1. So far I have completely wired the guitar as per the the below diagram. The issue I'm having is the once plug into my amp the guitar hums quit badly. The humming is quite loud with the tone right up but lessens when the tone is rolled back.
If I touch the metal on the input jack, or the stings, bridge and metal pick up rings it completely disappears. I have a feeling that the issue is a bad earth but everything seems good.
Is this possibly because I haven't installed shielding?

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y524/Big_Steve_1981/2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp_zpsba196d3f.jpg (http://s1279.photobucket.com/user/Big_Steve_1981/media/2h_1v_1t_3w_1pp_zpsba196d3f.jpg.html)

dingobass
19-09-2013, 08:30 AM
OK, The first thing to check is have you got the wires to the output the right way round?
It is a common mistake, one that both the Gavmeister and I have made a few times :)

The other things to check is that the earth wire is actually touching bare metal on the bridge- scrape away some of the chrome to expose the metal underneath- also check that you don't have a cold solder joint somewhere.
Also, make sure you don't have a single strand of wire earthing across somewhere.
Had this one happen too and it was a bugger trying to see one single strand of wire.... had me scratching my head for a few hours before I found it!

Gavin1393
19-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Ok, the first thing you need to check is if you have the wires.......oh, DB has already answered......

wokkaboy
20-09-2013, 01:12 AM
yes Insane try DB's tips, sounds like an earthing issue or output jack wiring the wrong way around.
Have you upgraded to a push pull volume pot, because your wiring diagram shows this ?
Unfortunately there is no room for error in wiring a guitar !

iNSANE
22-09-2013, 10:38 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on September 19, 2013, 10:12
yes Insane try DB's tips, sounds like an earthing issue or output jack wiring the wrong way around.
Have you upgraded to a push pull volume pot, because your wiring diagram shows this ?
Unfortunately there is no room for error in wiring a guitar !

I forgot to mention in my original post that I did indeed upgrade the volume to a push pull. In fact I changed all the electronics. Also got a 500k tone, orange drop cap, GFS power rail pick ups and new input jack and pick up selector.

I seem to be unable to shake this buzzing. Ive spent a fair amount of time trying to nut this one out. Not having much luck. I have completely removed all components and started again.

I noticed that the vol pot was very crackly as well, I tried removing the vol pot tonight and using the one that came with the kit to no avail. Well, the crackling went but the buzzing is still there.

My next step is to start again with the pitbull gear and just replace the components one by one until I find the problem.

I know the soldering isn't a problem, no loose or dodgy wires. Ive check it with a multimeter. I even checked continuity on each wire in case one was broken before I soldered them the second time.

I don't even want to mention the fact that although I am a fitter and machinist by trade, I took 2 years of about 5 years ago and worked as a...wait for it....electrical technician. All I did was electrical fault finding. Oh well. 8O

iNSANE
26-12-2013, 11:52 PM
It's been a while since I've been on here. I thought I had better share the solution that I found to my problem.
After more attempts to re-wire this guitar than I care to think about (I basically changed every component individually trying to find the source), I thought I might take some time away from the frustration and get back to what I love, playing the guitar. I picked up my trusty Les Paul, plugged it in, and what do you know? Same damn issue. It turns out it was a bad earth in my amp input the whole time. Seeing as I only had the one amp at the time and playing it not long before I tested the EX-1L I assumed all was good.

There is a good lesson here, check everything before you pull it all down and start again, and again, and again...

Brendan
27-12-2013, 12:56 AM
Insane - at least you've found the source of the issue. Thanks for bringing this to the forum.