PDA

View Full Version : New Ash Bodies due Sept

Brendan
12-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Quote from adam on July 13, 2013, 11:21[/b]
Alright folks, we've heard the call and we've ordered some new kits in Ash. We'll have ST-1, TL-1 and EX-1 kits in Ash in late August. We'll see how these look before we order other models in ash.

Adam,
Any word? Anything on prices as well?

Gavin1393
12-09-2013, 07:48 PM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Brendan on September 11, 2013, 21:54

Quote from adam on July 13, 2013, 11:21[/b]
Alright folks, we've heard the call and we've ordered some new kits in Ash. We'll have ST-1, TL-1 and EX-1 kits in Ash in late August. We'll see how these look before we order other models in ash.

Adam,
Any word? Anything on prices as well?

Sorry Brendan, entire shipment of Ash kits were hi-jacked on route by two pirates and a baby Dingo!

keloooe
12-09-2013, 09:01 PM
So THAT'S what the new Dingo was for!!!

wokkaboy
12-09-2013, 11:47 PM
haha nice one Gav. Last I spoke to Adam about this they were about a month away so presume with any luck late September or early October, these ash bodies I'm waiting for too, I won't have an entry for GOTM October

adam
13-09-2013, 12:12 AM
Hey guys, I'm awaiting advice that this consignment will be shipped this week. Allow 3-4 weeks sailing/customs etc, and I reckon we should have them first week of October (not guaranteed).

robin
13-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Ooh, count me in. I can't wait to get my hands on one or three.

rob

wokkaboy
13-09-2013, 06:42 AM
yes that it hey Robin, anyone who has built an IB-5 bass will know how good the grain looks on these ash bodies.

Gavin1393
13-09-2013, 06:47 AM
Woks what are you doing!!!! Everyone will want one and we will miss out if you carry on like that singing the praises of the Ash timber like that!

It's much heavier than Bass wood, at least by an ounce or two, you have to use Wudtone or Tru Oil or the grain won't show up beneath the car paint....these are all massive, massive, ummm, errrrr, issues you will have to face if you decide to steal the Ash Bodies from Me, DB and Wokka! 8:

wokkaboy
13-09-2013, 06:50 AM
haha sorry Gav, didn't think of it like that. I better sit in the naughty corner with a bottle of conch girl !
Hows your IB-5 going Gav ? you started staining/clearing it ?

Gavin1393
13-09-2013, 06:52 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on September 12, 2013, 15:50
haha sorry Gav, didn't think of it like that. I better sit in the naughty corner with a bottle of conch girl !
Hows your IB-5 going Gav ? you started staining/clearing it ?

Yeah! One coat of Dark Tease and I don't think it needs anymore. Just gorgeous....this line is secure isn't it.......

wokkaboy
13-09-2013, 06:57 AM
look forward to seeing some photos in the build diary Gav. DB built the first IB5 kit that arrived in dark tease and it looked excellent.

Scott J.
13-09-2013, 09:24 AM
Adam,

Ash bodies? ... looks like there's some keen competition for them!

Seeing as most of the others here seem to be Fender-ites, then I guess that means there might be a chance that there'll be an Ash EX-1 that wont otherwise be "purloined" ... in which case, consider at least one of them "taken" by me!

Do you want me to order it now? ... or wait until they've arrived ... any idea on prices for the Ash EX-1

adam
13-09-2013, 11:27 AM
Hey folks,

As I said, looks like the Ash body kits are due early-mid October. We've got ST, TL and EX style kits in Ash in pretty good quantities. As for prices, probably about $30 on top of the basswood kit price. I will make up some product codes on the site for these new kits and announce on here when they're available to pre-order. Please remember, there is no guarantee that these kits are going to look as sensational as the IB-5, which inspired this investment. You might want to consider this before diving in and reserving one.

adam
03-10-2013, 08:47 AM
UPDATE: My guess two weeks ago was pretty accurate, the ship is due to dock tomorrow. So, barring any Port strikes and other such nonsense, we should have the new Ash kits available to ship to you early to mid next week.

I will be setting up new product codes for these Ash kits tonight.

wokkaboy
03-10-2013, 10:22 AM
you little ripper Adam, can you please post photos on the PBG site as soon as you get your hands on them so we know what the figure of the ash grain is like ? cheers

Gavin1393
03-10-2013, 09:23 PM
Ordered,,,,,!!!! Woks, get in before they are all gone. You and I know what the basses look like! I dont expect they will be much different!

Scott J.
03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Hi Adam ... I see you've got the product codes up already for the Ash-body Strat's and Tele's ... but didn't see one for the Explorer? Are the Ash-body Ex-1s still coming out with this shipment?

adam
03-10-2013, 10:00 PM
Hi Scott, I will do the EXA-1 now.

Edit: Done http://pitbullguitars.com/?product=pit-bull-guitars-exa-1-ash-body-electric-guitar-kit

robin
04-10-2013, 02:27 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on October 3, 2013, 06:23
Ordered,,,,,!!!! Woks, get in before they are all gone. You and I know what the basses look like! I dont expect they will be much different!

Ordered!!! Don't forget me Gav, I can also vouch for the Basses. :D

This one will be a 21st pressie for someone, so I have been hanging out for something special. Woohoo!!!

rob

wokkaboy
04-10-2013, 04:04 AM
Adam will all these ash kits come with a rosewood fingerboard ?

I think I better order one before they sell out before they hit our shores !

Rob and Gav, did you both order ST-1 kits ?

Yes us 3 are proud IB-5 builders, one of my favourite builds to make noise on !

Gavin1393
04-10-2013, 04:50 AM
I bought an ST and TL...

wokkaboy
04-10-2013, 07:35 AM
cool, and what finish are you planning for these axes Gav ? don't tell me you are going to spend another week in the naughty corner ? You may need company after AJ leaves ! haha

Gavin1393
04-10-2013, 08:01 AM
As far as I know AJ is still in the naughty corner, he's started to like it!

Best you hope DB isn't reading your 'current Builds' line.....or AJ will have company sooner than he thought! :)

robin
04-10-2013, 08:59 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on October 3, 2013, 13:04

Rob and Gav, did you both order ST-1 kits ?

Yes us 3 are proud IB-5 builders, one of my favourite builds to make noise on !

Yes Warren, mine is an ST-1 kit. A 21st pressie for someone else.

But you can bet your boots that if they are anything like the awesomeness of the IB-5 kits I will definitely be getting an ST AND a TL for myself when finances permit.

rob

adam
04-10-2013, 10:35 AM
Sure enough, there has been a delay. The consignment changed ships in Singapore and is now due to dock on the 9th. So, add another week to that expected delivery. Sorry... out of our hands.

robin
04-10-2013, 11:06 AM
No problem Adam, not your fault. Anyway it will give me a chance to finish my TL build first.

rob

Gavin1393
04-10-2013, 02:02 PM
No worries, wood gets to dry another week longer!

Pedrovelo
15-10-2013, 04:26 AM
I hate to be the impatient one but did the ash bodies arrive on the 9th? Pics?

adam
15-10-2013, 04:34 AM
The Ash body kits were due weeks ago and its been hold up after hold up. They're here in Fremantle, but we're having a disagreement with Quarantine. It now looks like we'll have them on Wednesday.

Pedrovelo
15-10-2013, 04:52 AM
Cool, thanks for the update Adam.

Scott J.
19-10-2013, 03:28 AM
Hi Adam,

With all the current fires that we've got out here on the east-coast, we've got plenty of ash at the moment ... I'm hoping you do too (but of a completely different type! :D )

How goes it with quarantine?

(nag, nag, nag - we're like a bunch of old women, aren't we? ... or maybe that should be like big kids - "are we there yet?", "are we there yet?", "are we there yet?" :D )

adam
19-10-2013, 03:55 AM
Ok, so after a two week shit fight with AQIS it looks like we are finally getting our goods late this afternoon. Bones and I will spend Saturday packing up the backorders. So you should all have your ash kits, ES basses and other cool stuff mid to late next week. Sorry for the delay everyone but it has been a really testing time. We got there in the end though.

wokkaboy
19-10-2013, 04:22 AM
thats great news Adam, pity its been such a hard slog. You even broke one of your forum rules so AQIS have really tested your patience !
Before you pack an ash kit can you please take some photos and post them on the PBG site ? love to see if the grain is as good as the IB'5s ! If you do have time to do this (no hurry) can you please post a note on this thread as I try not to look at the kits as I may get sucked in ! haha

Scott J.
19-10-2013, 05:21 AM
(in the words of Charles Montgomery Burns) ... excellent!

Adam, your perseverance and patience with us ("the impatient") is a wonder to behold ... it's said that retail would be a really great business if you didn't have to deal with public! :D

... and I guess importing would be even better if only you didn't have to deal with AQIS 8O (hmmm, doesn't AQIS stand for "Another Querulously Incompetent Service"? ... it should! :D )

I'm just putting through my order now for one of those Ash Explorers - before they all go! 8-)

robin
19-10-2013, 05:49 AM
Thanks for hanging in there Adam and not throwing in the towel. If the guitars are as good as the IB15's it will have been worth it.

Thanks again.

rob

adam
19-10-2013, 09:23 AM
Shhhh...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/4j1a5-TLA-1-body.jpg

robin
19-10-2013, 09:28 AM
Adam, just as I feared. They look as good as the IB's!! Oh well, I'd better start saving again...... Woohoo!!! :D

rob

Gavin1393
19-10-2013, 11:31 AM
Ad's, I hope that's my tele you are holding!

Brendan
19-10-2013, 12:46 PM
Gav - you know the rules - Teles are Adam's.

Gavin1393
19-10-2013, 02:16 PM
sorry to correct you Brendan, but that one isnt finished yet....the telenapper has only ever claimed finished ones!

Brendan
19-10-2013, 03:34 PM
Good point - stand corrected. :). Must take the Ash Tele off my to do list as with a body like that I wont want to part with it.

wokkaboy
20-10-2013, 01:16 AM
you beauty I just ordered 2 x ash strat kits for myself and Popeye, hopefully I got in early enough with this shipment. The ash tele looks as amazing as the IB-5 basses

wokkaboy
23-10-2013, 03:14 AM
just received the 2 STA-1 kits for myself and Popeye, they look great other than the dreaded glue on both of the bottom ends. Hope it sands out, I never had this problem with my IB-5 and my mate Dennis's kit. Do these Chinese workers like putting glue on all joins after the body shape has been cut ?
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/u08t5-2013-10-22-11.40.04.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/zpw7r-2013-10-22-11.43.11.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/a2c47-2013-10-22-11.43.40.jpg

Gavin1393
23-10-2013, 03:33 AM
I often wonder if they have sanded these bodies into shape and ALSO could not get rid of the glue! Wire brush rules. then sand again!

wokkaboy
23-10-2013, 03:58 AM
yes Gav looks like I'll have to dust off the wire brush. I'd be interested to hear what the other ash kits are like, you ordered 2 Gav ? Can you please let me know if you have glue on any joins or surface ?

Gavin1393
23-10-2013, 04:47 AM
I'll look when I get home...they arrived two hours ago!

Gavin1393
25-10-2013, 12:00 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on October 22, 2013, 13:47
I'll look when I get home...they arrived two hours ago!

Hey Woks

I looked, Strat is sensational, Tele less so due to glue and filler in the cutaway.....that filler HAS to go!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/5r450-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/hqa1q-image.jpg

robin
29-10-2013, 02:41 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on October 22, 2013, 12:58
yes Gav looks like I'll have to dust off the wire brush. I'd be interested to hear what the other ash kits are like, you ordered 2 Gav ? Can you please let me know if you have glue on any joins or surface ?

Hey Warren, just received my STA-1 kit today and it also has glue on one of the joints, and a blooming big knot with associated filler and glue. It has a beautifully grained neck, but a fretboard that is also marred with filler and glue.

Those that know me know that it wouldn't worry me if I was building it for myself (hey, it just adds character), but this one is going to be a Birthday pressie, so I will need to make a special effort to tidy it up a bit. The extra effort in making this one will only add to its sentimental value.

Still going to be an awesome guitar for the price when finished. :D

rob

stan
29-10-2013, 04:02 AM
After seeing these - and I know the price is great - but I think Adam needs to have a chat to the exporter about the QC on these items - cracks, knots, filler etc. Character is fine, but using substandard timber isn't

adam
29-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Hey guys, just wanted you to know I'm keeping an eye on the feedback on the Ash kits and will pass on any concerns to the supplier.

stan
29-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Cool Adam, I know you are looking after us

Scott J.
01-11-2013, 12:33 AM
New Ash-body EX-1 arrived the other day and have just got around to excitedly unpacking it - a couple of very minor issues, one not-so-minor and one serious concern but overall very happy!

Here's a synopsis ...

Body - lovely timber, no major figuring (which is what I was after for this project) just a nice consistent grain. A couple of glue spots (front, top wing and at the base of the body - see pics) but nothing major that a few minutes with a soft wire brush wont fix) ... and most importantly its all timber - not a spot of filler in sight!

Neck - again a lovely piece of maple with some nice subtle figuring and very clean. Just one small "knot burn" on the headstock face (which'll be covered with a veneer cap anyway) and a glue smear on the back of the head (how'd it get there! 8O ) but again easily removed with wire brush.

Fingerboard - very nice, however still has some light lengthways scoring down the centre from about the 5th to 13th fret (but much less than my SG started out with!), I can only this might be due to not-quite-sharp-enough machine blades - but no big issue with this one.

Now here's the main issues ...

Truss Rod - WHOA! on first sight, my reaction was "I don't think it's supposed to be like THAT!" - the truss rod was sticking way out into the head! (see pics) ... and rattling about loose! Seem someone might have forgotten to secure (glue) it in place. Anyway, a quick consultation with "Dr. DB" and pushing the truss-rod back into the neck and putting a bit of tension on it seems to now be holding it in place ... hoping this solves it but time will eventually tell.

Neck Socket - 1. not nearly as tight as the recent SG build, with some room to wobble laterally (side-to-side) - when lined up lengthwise with the body to sit square with the bridge position there's about a 1.5mm gap on the top side of the neck socket (see pics)
2. Neck socket doesn't seem to quite line up with the body outline - socket is cut a few mm of to the side of the squared off section of the body where it sits and there's also a small crack along the glue-line of the body-blocks - not much I'll be able to do about this but I think it'll hardly be noticeable and shouldn't effect playability.
3. Rocking in the neck socket - with the neck placed in the socket there's some noticeable "front-to-back" rocking - I think the back of the body socket may not have been cut flat and has created a pivot, because the back of the neck heel IS flat.
... I think some packing is going to be necessary to set this one right, but should work out fine.

All in all, as the guru's mantra says (there's no problem that can't be worked around!) and I don't think that they're really big issues, so I'm confident of another successful build.

Body shots ...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/3ono1-Body-front.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/chm49-Body-back.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/h87cs-Body-end.jpg

Scott J.
01-11-2013, 12:35 AM
Neck & Head shots ...
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/x29g2-Head-back.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/40hwp-Truss-Rod-dislocated.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ix2c2-Truss-Rod-re-seated.jpg

Scott J.
01-11-2013, 12:37 AM
Socket rocking, gaps and split.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/c86dh-Socket-Rocking-up.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/3t407-Socket-Rocking-down.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/d42q0-Socket-Split-2.jpg