PDA

View Full Version : Sanding an ST-1 - Sandpaper grade?!

tkimber100
08-09-2013, 08:25 AM
Hey guys,

Just starting out on my first build of an ST-1. I've read that you need to sand sand sand! But my question is how much exactly is that?!

Also I have a question about grade of sandpaper - I just picked up a sanding kit which has a medium and fine grade paper - 120 and 240 grit. I have a feeling that the first is too coarse and the second is too fine - am I right?! I've been sanding with the 240 for the moment, but I hope the Wudtone is going to bite!

Cheers!

Tom

dingobass
08-09-2013, 09:15 AM
Hey Tom, your sanding kit should have some 220 grit as well....
The 120 is there for deeper scratches that do happen on some kits, i still would recommend you do go over the body with it as some marks dont show up until it is almost too late :)
Work your way through the grits and when you feel it is done, wipe the body down with a damp rag.
This will do two things, show any fine scratches that you missed and also it causes the fine fibres to stand up. These will be removed with another light sanding.
The 240 grit will allow the Wudtone to soak right on in!

Gavin1393
08-09-2013, 09:21 AM
...and remember always sand with the grain, not against it.....

tkimber100
08-09-2013, 10:16 AM
Great thanks! Yeah my sanding kit from Pitbull hasn't come in the post yet so I went out and bought some from Bunnings!

Gavin1393
08-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Oh-oh.............B...b....b...go stand in the naughty corner for paying extortionate prices for sand thrown on some paper with glue on it!
In short, you really dont want to be putting in hours of quality effort with inferior quality sandpaper, the Bunnings stuff is not going to help you get a great smooth and even finish.

tkimber100
08-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Oh really?! Nooo! I thought sandpaper was sandpaper!! I'll go to the naughty corner :(

In my defence I have been waiting for the proper stuff for over 2 weeks!

DanMade
08-09-2013, 09:13 PM
I have used some of the 3M sand paper from that big green shed. It's around $10 for 3 sheets, but is is good stuff. Lasts heaps longer and does a much better job than the cheap stuff.

stan
08-09-2013, 11:48 PM
I use sand paper from a local auto paint supplier - doesnt leave sand in your work

tkimber100
08-09-2013, 11:57 PM
I got one of those holder thingys (called a mouse I think) it's flat with a pointy end and came with coarse, medium and fine grade paper. To my untrained eye it seems to be doing a decent job, though it hasn't lasted very long. I'll hold off now and finish it off with the pitbull sandpaper which hopefully should arrive early next week.