PDA

View Full Version : Hi from SE QLD

Timsan
08-09-2013, 06:53 AM
Hi all

Hope you're all well. I'm a total greenhorn when it comes to building guitars, and I'm on the verge of ordering my first kit - a lefty LP-1SS.

I'm a drummer and bass player, and I've been chasing a decent affordable guitar that I can use for my own personal noodling and recording a few demo tracks with. I've been looking high and low for a decent lefty guitar that's affordable and isn't a Fender, Fender copy or a crappy low-end Ibanez, Schecter or LTD. I'd all but given up hope.

And then I found this site...

Kid in a toy shop and all that.

It's taken me bloody ages to decide which model I want to start on, but I settled on the LP-1SS because I like the Gibson look more than Fender, and the spalted maple looks pretty sweet.

I still don't know which finish I want it to be yet, but I have a few months yet to make that decision.

Any suggestions would be welcome, but regardless, it's nice to meet you all and gain inspiration from this forum.

Cheers! :)

pablopepper
08-09-2013, 07:28 AM
Welcome fellow Queenslander. Don't be afraid of asking for help. The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked!

WeirdBits
08-09-2013, 08:02 AM
Welcome Timsan, good choice with the LP-1SS it's a nice kit. Once you receive your kit the look and figure of the spalted cap will be your best guide in deciding which finish to use, as each one is unique with different levels of spalt and flame. The hardest part is always to not rush the build.

Good luck and may this kit be the first of many... even if they are lefties.

Timsan
08-09-2013, 08:33 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from WeirdBits on September 7, 2013, 17:02
The hardest part is always to not rush the build.

That will be my potential Achilles' heel... I must be careful.
I'd love to do a burst, but I'll probably steer away from that on my first build. Finding that one colour that really makes the guitar come alive will be the challenge. I'll have a poke through the galleries to get some ideas.

even if they are lefties.

What are you incineratin'? ;)

Timsan
08-09-2013, 08:34 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from pablopepper on September 7, 2013, 16:28
Welcome fellow Queenslander. Don't be afraid of asking for help. The only stupid question is the one that never gets asked!

Thanks, Pablo. What part of QLD are you from?

robin
08-09-2013, 08:35 AM
Hi Timsan,

Welcome to the PBG Family. A Brissie-ite here.

To follow on from what Pablo said, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers. And as Weirdie said, don't rush the build. We were all noobs at one stage, but thankfully there is a wealth of information here.

Enjoy the build, and get ready for an addiction that is hard to break.

cheers
rob

dingobass
08-09-2013, 09:51 AM
Welcome to the funny farm..... :)

DanMade
08-09-2013, 10:25 AM
Hi man. I'm from the south side too.

I found the longest part of my first build was just thinking through each step along the way. Take your time and make sure you understand what and why you are doing each step, and you will learn a lot along the way.

Don't forget to ask any questions, the guys here are always very helpful.

Timsan
08-09-2013, 10:39 AM
Thanks lads. Nice to know that the forums are alive and well here.

Props to Adam for being a great guy. I emailed him about the kit this morning, not expecting an answer till next week. He got back to me straight away, and answered all my queries. I have a hard time getting any of the music shops to reply my queries, let alone take me seriously when I ask for an "affordable left-handed guitar that isn't a strat copy or a cheap metalhead axe."

Tim
08-09-2013, 10:47 AM
Welcome Timsan to the PBG clan

Tim
08-09-2013, 10:49 AM
Welcome Timsan to the PBG clan

pablopepper
08-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks, Pablo. What part of QLD are you from?

Another south side Brisbanite here. :)

wokkaboy
09-09-2013, 12:43 AM
welcome to the forum family Timsan, good choice spalted LP kit to start with, I'd suggest a lighter colour wudtone finish for the cap so it doesn't hide the grain/spalt lines, like saffron, burning sun, golden rod. The back sides up to you maybe a darker amber/mahogany/hot auburn would look great.
You must have a good sense of rythym being a drummer and bass player !
Best of luck and as the guys said don't rush the build, ask any question you have and someone will answer it.
Warning once you have completed your first kit you will be ordering the next one !

Timsan
09-09-2013, 03:54 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on September 8, 2013, 09:43
welcome to the forum family Timsan, good choice spalted LP kit to start with, I'd suggest a lighter colour wudtone finish for the cap so it doesn't hide the grain/spalt lines, like saffron, burning sun, golden rod. The back sides up to you maybe a darker amber/mahogany/hot auburn would look great.
You must have a good sense of rythym being a drummer and bass player !
Best of luck and as the guys said don't rush the build, ask any question you have and someone will answer it.
Warning once you have completed your first kit you will be ordering the next one !

Cheers Wokka

Great ideas, mate. That colour combo sounds really good.

Drums has been my main thing, since I was about 8. I started playing bass a few years later when a band in high school needed a bass player and I jumped in to fill a hole. I'm still playing both in covers gigs around my area.

My wife knows where to go now for my birthday presents... ;)