PDA

View Full Version : LP: Paulownia Nitrocellulose red

joshj
06-09-2013, 09:57 AM
Just wanted to share my First LP build:

Paulownia slimline body finished in Nitrocellulose Lacquer for a vintage styled guitar. Just started a Graveyard Disciple I'll keep you posted :)
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/30866-translucent-LP.jpg

stan
06-09-2013, 12:30 PM
looks good, what pups are in it?

joshj
06-09-2013, 12:51 PM
everything in this guitar is exactly as the kit available LP-1P :) the only thing I changed was the machine heads for matte black ones, if your looking for a LP kit I recommend this one as it is lightweight, feels and looks good with some time and effort with GOOD lacquers this body is by far the better option for a regular guitarist

07-09-2013, 11:08 PM
Hey great guitar. Just a query, im building an Lp1m and wondering, besides stewmac where could i buy buffing compound and a drill attachable buffer? because with the added shipping it becomes quite expensive.

Thanks guys

DanMade
07-09-2013, 11:38 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from LPBuild1 on September 7, 2013, 08:08
Hey great guitar. Just a query, im building an Lp1m and wondering, besides stewmac where could i buy buffing compound and a drill attachable buffer? because with the added shipping it becomes quite expensive.

Thanks guys

Try an Auto store. Like super cheap or auto barn. They sell all sorts of buffers. And lots of different compounds. They might not be as good as the StewMac buffing compounds that are designed for guitars, but good automotive compounds will work well too.

SIMpleONe89
07-09-2013, 11:46 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from joshj on September 5, 2013, 18:57
Just wanted to share my First LP build:

Paulownia slimline body finished in Nitrocellulose Lacquer for a vintage styled guitar.

Hey josh where did you get nitrocellulose? Isn't it banned here? I can only find acrylic lacquer at the moment.

Andyport
08-09-2013, 01:16 AM
This site has it
http://www.guitaraust.com.au/finishing/lacquers.html

Or look at Wattyl Stylwood...but only available in 4litres, in varying levels of gloss.

Analyst69
08-09-2013, 04:37 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from LPBuild1 on September 7, 2013, 08:08

Thanks guys

Hey LPBuild

On an earlier build (acrylic finish) I used the Meguiars Scratch X for buffing (available at most car parts places). It is meant for getting fine scratches out of car paint, but worked great at getting rid of orange peel and swirl marks in a painted finish....I picked up the hint to use this from some other guitar forums.

Cheers

Darren

08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Ok cool thanks will that give me a high gloss finish? and do you know about a drill attachable foam pad? Thanks

Gavin1393
08-09-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi Darren, doesn't Meguiars Scratch X contain silicon Oil?

Analyst69
08-09-2013, 02:58 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on September 7, 2013, 18:35

Eeek...you may well be right. 8O

I used it on an acrylic paint finish, so, in terms of its impact on tone, it probably didn't matter (wouldn't have made it much worse, if at all). Now I have become a Wudtone convert, I wouldn't consider trying it with that (and probably should have said so in my previous post).

Gavin1393
08-09-2013, 04:11 PM
Silicones are really oils that never, never dry out. Now that could be a good thing, but it also means that the stuff can "migrate" forever. You get some on your guitar, then on your hands, and you touch the table and leave some on the table, or the guitar leaves some on the case fabric, and then someone else touches the case fabric and carries some onto their guitar, and the stuff migrates every where and forever, because it just stays slick and sticky forever. For people who work on guitars, the stuff is hellish because NOTHING will stick to it, wherever it happens to be. Glues, finishes, etc.!!!!

joshj
09-09-2013, 03:39 AM
I ordered Nitrocellulose from the UK and they shipped it labelled "guitar Parts" Rothko & Frost is the name of the company I ordered through, it is a much better finish than acrylics

joshj
09-09-2013, 03:41 AM
oh and I Ordered Behlen deluxing compound to hand polish my guitars then I use Maguires Cut & Polish with a foam medium abrasive pad then use a swirl remover at the end

09-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Hey, do you guys at Pitbull guitars sell any compounds or buffing equipment by any chance? Otherwise ill purchase through StewMac

Gavin1393
09-09-2013, 08:44 AM
Hi LPBuild1,

No we don't currently sell anything like that. StewMac will be your best option.

09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
Ok thanks i was onyl asking as it becomes very pricy with the added shipping thanks anyway :)

AJ
09-09-2013, 12:58 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on September 7, 2013, 18:35

You are partly correct in your assumption there Gav, the black bottled swirl remover #2 (meguiars) has silicon in it, however the cream colored (Bottle) swirl remover #2(meguiars) does not, and hence can be painted over etc.. Also something to help if your unsure of what has been applied to the finish and need to make repair, is to use the product "prepsol" to remove greases/ waxes.. it also removes silicon.