PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

kanelangmaid
02-09-2013, 10:26 AM
Greetings,

I have finally taken the plunge and purchased an ST-1M kit that hopefully arrives tomorrow. Why? I have been playing the guitar for a few years now and have always had a plan in buying a Fender Strat with maple neck. However without the required funds to purchase the Eric Clapton signature version, I thought I would begin the learning process of building my own. This is where Pitbull Guitars comes in. My starting point.
I have played around with wood before but never in the field of instruments. Thankfully this forum exists with all the helpful skilled people here + the references to other helpful sites.
Once I am satisfied I have the skills and some of the tools is to build the "blackie" copy. I aim to build and shape the body from alder, buy a neck (not willing to build one from scratch yet) and wire one up with vintage noiseless pickups and boost TBX extras.
Once I have built one or maybe a few, I was also thinking of building a nice fender copy amp to compliment the guitar.

Stay tuned.

Cheers.

Kane

Brendan
02-09-2013, 10:29 AM
Welcome along Kane - you're not alone in terms of not having any background in making instruments - many here have given our first a go over the past 12 months. I think I'm speaking for many in saying that once you've started though, it's hard to stop...

Gavin1393
02-09-2013, 11:08 AM
Not that hard to stop, you simply stop when you run out of money to buy another one....usually that's temporary though!
welcome to the forum!

Fretworn
02-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Welcome.

Tim
02-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Here here Welcome Kane to an awesome addiction

stan
02-09-2013, 11:34 AM
sounds like a cool project - welcome

kanelangmaid
02-09-2013, 11:07 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

It is ok if it becomes a serious hobby. Have an order already from a good mate that wants an ESP explorer copy to his specs.

Does pitbull do custom bodies? Such as an alder body with just SSS pickup cutouts, and another for the active boost TBX circuit/9V? Otherwise I may consult with my aged woodsmith that has all the tools to make me the body. He is just on the other side of the country.

Cheers for the support, and no doubt there may be some questions later on if I can't figure it out from the forums.

keloooe
03-09-2013, 12:01 AM
Hey Kane, you will find that these kits are extremely addictive after even just ONE kit, as I have discovered!

Welcome to the forums!