PDA

View Full Version : Potentiometer differences?

Andyport
02-09-2013, 05:03 AM
Just noticed that the pots supplied with my ES-1GT kit differ from each other...
and as I'm a little "challenged" when it comes to the electronic side of things, wondered if someone could help out.
2 pots are marked "A500K", while the other 2 are "B500K".
Which 2 are used as volume pots and which for tone pots? ...assuming there is a difference.

Thanks

dingobass
02-09-2013, 05:29 AM
Hi Andy.
The "a" are the volume
And the "b" are tone.

Gavin1393
02-09-2013, 05:56 AM
And, they wont measure anywhere near 500 k .....as they can be as much as 20% out and still retain the 500k label!

Andyport
02-09-2013, 06:40 AM
Thanks db.....beautiful looking dingo by the way, you must be a very proud daddy!!

kells80aus
12-03-2014, 10:06 PM
A's pots are Log pots meaning the level of resistance changes as you turn the shaft by a factor of ten.
B's are Linear meaning the that the rate of resistance change as you turn the shaft is constant meaning each segmant is the same as the last.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guitar_wiring

Cheers PK

peterh
01-02-2016, 08:24 AM
I know this is an old thread, but it relates to some searching I did while looking at electronics upgrades. I noticed the PBG description of the mini Bourns audio pots says the A's are used for both volume and tone (PBG doesn't sell B's from what I can see). Is there a noticeable different between log (A) and linear (B) pots for tone?

tonyw
01-02-2016, 09:00 AM
There is no difference in tone of pots A and B , only in the taper. at 10 both will be 100%, at 0 they will both be 0%. at 5 the linear will be at 50% and the audio will be less, audio rolls off faster.

Brendan
01-02-2016, 02:13 PM
Peter - I think that most people will struggle to hear the difference. As Tony has said, at 0 / 100% both are the same. A taper however, is apparently more aligned with how we hear things - at 50% we hear it as 50% when it's technically not. Many builders just use A tapers, hence only stocking the log types.

peterh
01-02-2016, 07:58 PM
Thanks for clearing that up, guys! Got Adam to add some new A pots to my order.

Brendan
01-02-2016, 08:40 PM
Great idea - cheapest form of upgrade that there is!

Muzza
02-02-2016, 05:14 AM
Can you really notice a difference with upgraded pots?

Is it the feel of the knob? The feel of the movement? Or sound/tone you're referring to?

tonyw
02-02-2016, 05:34 AM
It depends on a number of things, the capacitance of the pots for a start, you might have 500k pots reading 100k less or 100k over, not uncommon with cheap pots and sometimes in expensive pots but resistance is resistance 500k is 500k no matter what pot you use. What you are after really is a long lasting pot, a quality pot with a smooth sweep and a nice taper (taper is a matter of choice A or B) . As for caps if its .047 thats what capacitance your getting, even with these green chicklets, but myself i like orange drops, i get good close reading on them, i check everythings value i put in a guitar.

I have expensive paper in oil caps here, but i really only use them for vintage correct stuff, other than that i throw in orange drops, i have had a very good run with these caps. I use resistors for treble bleeds and changing pot values, these i get from JayCar.

Fretworn
02-02-2016, 09:18 AM
Can you really notice a difference with upgraded pots?

Is it the feel of the knob? The feel of the movement? Or sound/tone you're referring to?

A friend of mine had a guitar go from crappy to awesome just by changing the switch and jack from whatever was in there to Switchcraft. So yes cheap electronic components can (not will) detract from the tone of a guitar.

wazkelly
02-02-2016, 05:53 PM
A friend of mine had a guitar go from crappy to awesome just by changing the switch and jack from whatever was in there to Switchcraft. So yes cheap electronic components can (not will) detract from the tone of a guitar.
When the sum total value of most of these Chinese electronic parts is less than $5, make that more like 50c, you cannot expect too much in regards to quality, tone or longevity. Suspect the switch was the main culprit as it contains more moving parts than the jack. Either way it is cheaper and easier in the long run to upgrade pots, caps, and the tone bleed resistor when wiring up as to do it later often creates messy solder joints that also introduce their own set of problems. Shouldn't ignore the crappy standard thin guage wire as switching to better quality will not only give you piece of mind but improve the signal too.