PDA

View Full Version : mocking bird build

goatis 1
30-08-2013, 10:55 AM
ok , so i got a mocking bird kit with the 1st birthday sale the other week :D ( thanks go to the pitbull crew ) . Im gonna make it into a guitar i can use for drop tunings .

Plans so far are:

* changing all the hardware to black
* rail humbuckers upgrade 8-)
* far out paint job ( more on that after it happens )
* electronics upgrade
* modified body slightly
* bone or tusq nut upgrade

so far ive done the body mods , really just adding a gut relief and a bit of an arm rest relief . hopefully some paint will go on over the weekend :D

( ill get some pics up when i get some decent batteries for my camera )

robin
30-08-2013, 11:18 AM
Hi Angus, and welcome to the PBG Family.

Your plans for the Mockingbird sound most interesting, can't wait to see how she looks. Enjoy the build mate.

cheers
rob

Tim
30-08-2013, 12:33 PM
Welcome to the pbg clan Angus .take your time and enjoy your build and you will end up with a fantastic guitar

goatis 1
30-08-2013, 01:03 PM
cheers folks , should be interesting . this is my first "pointy" guitar ( ive got a bunch of others , strats , teles and other things ) , and my first kit . usually i either modify/rebuild from a junker , or get a neck and start the body from scratch ( been meaning to make some necks to , but havent got the facilities atm ).

gavinturner
31-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Welcome Angus! I don't think I've read a MB build thread before so I'm excited to hear all about yours. Hope you have a great time building her!

Cheers,
Gavin.

stan
01-09-2013, 12:57 AM
Welcome Angus - with a name like that I hope you do an SG kit!
looking forward to the MB, enjoy

goatis 1
11-09-2013, 07:18 AM
8O PROGRESS !!!!!

parts have been ordered and some arrived
paints been painted , the bodies mostly black now , gotta wait for some better weather to finish it off
necks been sanded down some , and i done this to the headstock to make it more " metal " 8-)

hopefully i can get some more done on it now ( a lot of times been taken up car fixing :S )

@ stan , an SG might be a kit for down the track , my next one tho (when i can scrape the pennies together ) will be a beatle bass , have wanted one for at least a decade and being more a bassist than anything and i should increase my bass count .

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/yvn9r-headstock.png

goatis 1
11-09-2013, 07:19 AM
oh , and i was thinking of putting the tuners in on an angle to ( so the buttons close to the neck than the rest of the tuner ) , but i forgot to set them up when i took the pic , does any one see any reason why this wont work ?

wokkaboy
11-09-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi Angus, headstock looks cool, you got any pics of the body ?
Angled tuners the only negative may be not being able to get a string winder rotate a full 360 degrees, otherwise it will look original !
Maybe take a photo with the tuners on the headstock for some forum feedback so we can see how far you intend angling them

goatis 1
11-09-2013, 08:46 AM
no body shots as yet , at the moment its just drying so i didnt wanna move it

space enough for a string winder im not to worried about ( tho i did check with mine and it still works ) it took me like 14 years to get one and when i change strings now i usually forget i have it lol , and its going to have locking tuners so i wont need to wind to much string on anyways
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/30fo5-head-1.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/kfa5m-head-2.jpg

stan
11-09-2013, 01:04 PM
Cool!

wokkaboy
12-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Angus, tuner angles look fine to me, any original look in my books is cool and sets the axe apart from the 'normal' perpendiclar look

Tim
12-09-2013, 12:51 PM
Looks cool Angus look forward to the rest of the build

goatis 1
20-09-2013, 12:42 AM
bit of an update ( photos to come )

all the parts have been ordered/sourced , except for a coupla little odds n ends

i had ordered in a cheap black neck plate , thought i was on a winner , =\\ buuut , when i got it the other day i found that it was etched with logos and stuff for Lyon by washburn , so ill be getting anothery down the track

necks been defretted and de nutted ( crossed my legs n made a face writing that =\\ )
and its had a coupla coats of stuff put on it , looking dam nice to , almost a bit of a flame starting on it .
been thinking about either staining the front of the headstock black or ordering in a headstock veneer of something

still waiting around for decent weather to blow another coupla coats of black onto the body , average hi temp here lately has only been around 17 - 19 so no good for spray painting .

ive been trying to decide if i want to use the black rectangle jack plate that i ordered ( the original was a chrome one ) or if i change it to a black tele cup jack

lol as a glutton for punishment , ive semi been thinking about a build using the chrome parts from the kit , since i didnt use any of it

57strummers
23-09-2013, 06:35 AM
Looking nice...

goatis 1
04-10-2013, 11:52 AM
soooo , neck halfish done , gotta put some colour the front of the headstock , thatll be tomorrows job if things go well . then just have to get another ( bone ) nut and do a re-fret
(pic doesnt sho it , buut theres some nice grain in the neck

bodies almost done , only a little bit of undercoat shows through , shouldnt be to much work left on it , sanding all the curves of it is a hassle though :? :? :?
(gonna make myself some curved sanding blocks of various size and curves to help with that in the future)

:) and i coloured in my switch with a sharpie , might get another permanent marker and go over it again though because the sharpie has a bronze hue to the black in the right light

weekends jobs might be soldering what i can of the controls , and probably drill the body out a little bit so the pots and switch fit a bit better ( im using upgraded full size bourne pots ) especially when i put the shielding in .

hopefully the pickups arrive soon , been waiting around like blackboard from mr squiggle for them (huuuuuurrryyyy UUUUUUUUUUP )
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/weef2-IMGP0176.JPG