PDA

View Full Version : Darrens LP1 - Bright Eyes

Analyst69
30-08-2013, 10:16 AM
Woohoo. I am very excited to have, today, picked up the LP1 that I scored in the Birthday sale.

My 5th kit, but my first Pitbull Kit.

After popping it open and doing the mock build, I can honestly say that the quality is above any of the other kits I have gotten from other sources.

Neck joint is tight, with only the most miniscule amount of sideways play, very little sign of glue around the binding, the fretboard, frets and fretboard binding are very neat and the flame maple cap looks fabulous.

Definitely will be a Wudtone finish and after the mock build and some input from my wife (she has an eye for style better than mine), I reckon we have agreed on a honey top with hot auburn back, sides and neck.

Had to include a photo of it next to my Epiphone which is celebrating its 20th birthday this year :)

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/6bq0v-20130829_194507.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/5prp2-20130829_195625.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/iy5cb-20130829_194859.jpg

adam
30-08-2013, 10:32 AM
At the risk of being indulgent, that is a particularly nice flame cap on the body. No pressure, but we're expecting something amazing with this build...

Analyst69
30-08-2013, 10:40 AM
aaarrggghh...I can't cope with the pressure :)

Nah, I'll certainly give it my best shot.

Don't think its indulgent at all...you have certainly gotten onto a good source with these kits.

I couldn't believe how nice the cap looked. I want to go with the honey finish so I can retain most of the natural colour and don't want to do a burst because I don't want any of the flame to get lost around the edges.

I understand the gold highlghts should help to accentuate the flame, but any hints from anyone about how to get the most of it would be great.

I do try and do my kits in order and have a backlog to get through, but maybe I just have to start doing multiple kits at once so I can get started on this one :)

stan
30-08-2013, 10:57 AM
Looks like a lovely kit indeed.
Why dont you stagger the building process so that there is always something on the go!

Analyst69
30-08-2013, 11:23 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from stan on August 29, 2013, 19:57
Looks like a lovely kit indeed.
Why dont you stagger the building process so that there is always something on the go!

I like your thinking Stan, I just need to find a better way to have multiple guitars in mid-build in safe places. They tend to live in the loungeroom during a build (sanding and finishing outside of course), but it clutters the place up a bit...maybe about time I thought outside the box a bit more :)

Andyport
30-08-2013, 10:56 PM
Wow that flame cap does look great...You've scored an absolute pearler there!!
All the best for your build.

wokkaboy
31-08-2013, 12:15 AM
Darren, that flame maple top looks amazing, you have scored big time, what did you pay for this kit ? (will probably make us all cry !)
honey top and hot auburn sides/back sounds great, agree don't hide any of the flame.
I build up to 5 projects at once, so if I have to give an axe 2 or more days curing time there's always something else to work on. You must make space and do 2 builds at once, you will see, its probably a better use of time too !

Analyst69
31-08-2013, 11:23 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on August 30, 2013, 09:15
Darren, that flame maple top looks amazing, you have scored big time, what did you pay for this kit ? (will probably make us all cry !)
honey top and hot auburn sides/back sounds great, agree don't hide any of the flame.
I build up to 5 projects at once, so if I have to give an axe 2 or more days curing time there's always something else to work on. You must make space and do 2 builds at once, you will see, its probably a better use of time too !

The price might make some cry. This was one of the last 5 that were put up late on the Birthday sale for $49 delivered. Never expected to get a kit for that price and was ultra-impressed when I unboxed it yesterday to find such an awesome looking kit. I feel incredibly lucky and privileged at the moment and obviously need to make the most of this kit.

On the multiple builds front, I'm almost convinced and think 3 at once might work for me. I have started planning the finishes for the 3 outstanding kits (including the LP) and might have to do a big Wudtone order to coordinate it (considering using honey for the LP cap as well as a strat kit I have awaiting attention and thinking about wudtone neck finishes for the other two guitars and seeing if I can stretch the clear out enough from those to use it instead of the body clear on the LP neck over the hot auburn...if that makes sense).

The only factor that's affecting my decision to commit to the multiple build approach is that I will be travelling on a few weekends in the coming months, plus going OS in November which might disrupt the momentum a bit.

Oh yeah, the mega-sanding job upfront to prep them all also seems a little daunting (I'll end up with one arm bigger than the other :) )...don't think I can convince the wife to help :(