PDA

View Full Version : Darker base coat to really pop the grain?

phloggy
11-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi All,

My replacement PRS-1S has turned up and now I'm thinking about colours. I think I've asked this before, but how do you think putting a darker colour base coat like Dark Onyx, then sanding that right back, then doing a normal coat in something like Saffron or Honey would work?

Would it make help the grain really pop like on a proper PRS, or would it just be a whole lot of work to create a horrible mess?

It sounds like DingoBass tried something similar here: http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=62.7#postid-918 but he's called it a failed experiment. I'm not sure if that's because of the uneven sanding he tried, or just as a whole. If DB can't get it right, I've got no hope...

dingobass
11-08-2013, 11:47 AM
I personally wouldn't try it on a Spalted top as the Spalt is very absorbent and I feel you would just end up with a black stained top.
You will find that Saffron or Burning Sun will bring out the grain.

phloggy
11-08-2013, 11:51 AM
Cool. Thanks DB. The Burning Sun LP Wokka did in that thread does look pretty nice...

wokkaboy
13-08-2013, 02:48 AM
yes Phloggy I'd try a lighter colour like saffron or burning sun on a spalted cap will really show the grain and spalt lines and make it pop