PDA

View Full Version : ST-1 Pickup Advice

robin
10-08-2013, 11:25 PM
Hey guys, a question for the pickup gurus.

I was lucky enough to be given a set of 30 year old original Fender Strat pickups that I intended to put in my new ST-1 build.

Here's the problem. They all have identical pole spacing of approx 53mm from the centre of the E to e poles. Just about perfect at the bridge but approx 5mm too wide at the neck position. If I can centre them exactly, at the neck Pup position, the E/e strings barely align with the inner edge of the poles. If I am only 1mm out with the placement of the neck Pup one of the E strings will miss the pole entirely.

Is this an acceptable margin of error or should I buy something else, like a set of Toneriders.

AND, if I do buy the Toneriders, can anybody confirm that they will fit in an ST-1 kit?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers
rob

dingobass
11-08-2013, 12:34 AM
Good question Robin.
As for the first part, I have come across older Strats (mainly Squires) that have this type of pup config.
The Toneriders should fit, but wait for the Gavmeister to make an appearance as I am sure he has used tonies and also he may have a better answer to your first question....

Gavin1393
11-08-2013, 01:05 AM
Hey Rob

The Toneriders will work well. They will provide you with a pretty decent sound for around $100. Toneriders will be calibrated size wise perfectly with the PBG kit you are building.

However,

Depending on your budget and how utterly sensational you might like your Strat to sound......you might consider investing $300 on these:

http://www.guitarparts.co.nz/pickups/strat-replacement/rio-grande-dual-calibrated-strat-set.html

I did, and despite being previously really happy with my TWO sets of Toneriders acquired previously, I am totally sold on the calibrate Rio Grande's.

Bridge: Muy Grande
A powerful replacement for the modern and 'vintage' type pickup, the Muy Grande offers an overall beefier sound with plenty of front end drive... not mush... It's like getting #11 added to your volume knob!.

Specs: DC - 8k, Alnico 5 Magnets

Middle: Halfbreed
The perfect combination..the best of both worlds! Vintage Tallboy meets Muy Grande!! We took one of each, put em in a blender, then into the oven and out popped the halfbreed! More juice than a Tallboy but not quite as much power as the Muy Grande.

Specs: DC - 7.8k, Alnico 5 Magnets

Neck: Vintage Tallboy
Rio Grande's most popular pickup to date, this non staggered model offers enhanced replication of the good ol' tone casters. Not all StratsŪ have 'that' sound. From over 30 years of vintage guitar collecting, dealing, and repairs, comes the knowledge of which pickups have the tone and why. Lots of other pickup companies know how to make a hot pickup, not many know tone from Diddley!.

Specs: DC - 7.6k, Alnico 5 Magnets

robin
11-08-2013, 01:54 AM
Thanks Phil and Gav.

These Forums never cease to amaze me. Ask a question and within a hour and a half I get the answer that I was looking for. Amazing!

I don't mean to downgrade the help offered by EVERYBODY on these Forums, but to be able to get advice from experienced Luthiers like you guys is priceless. The generous way you hand out advice and assistance is very much appreciated.

@ Gav.
Those Rio Grande's do look the goods and very well balanced (resistance wise) compared to the Toneriders, but unfortunately a fair way out of my price range at present. In any advent they would probably be wasted on me in as I know nothing about Fenders. To prove the point the standard ST-1 pickups sounded OK to me. So at this point I'll settle for any improvement in sound/tone quality.

Again Guys, many thanks for your help

Cheers
rob

Gavin1393
11-08-2013, 02:42 AM
Rob, Where are you going to buy your Toneriders?

Found these...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tonerider-City-Limits-Calibrated-Pickup-set-/400361364032?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item5d37659a40&_uhb=1

Or you could try Realtone?

WeirdBits
11-08-2013, 09:03 AM
Robin, as Gav has you sorted I'm not sure this will be of any help, but according to the Tonerider 2007 catalogue (http://www.tonerider.com/images/news/Tonerider_Nov2007.pdf) (page 5), the latest I could find, the Vintage and Blues sets are spaced at 52.4mm (or were in 2007).

I've got a set of Pure Vintage Toneriders waiting for one of my ST builds, although it will have a 54mm bridge so the string spacing will be a little different over the pups.

robin
11-08-2013, 09:23 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on August 10, 2013, 11:42
Rob, Where are you going to buy your Toneriders?

Found these...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tonerider-City-Limits-Calibrated-Pickup-set-/400361364032?pt=AU_Instrument_Accessories&hash=item5d37659a40&_uhb=1

Or you could try Realtone?

Haha Gav, after reading your earlier post I went straight to eBay and bought a set of City Limits. Guess where? Pro Guitar shop. ;) I had already researched them as I intend to put a set in an ST-1 that I am going to make for another guitarist at Church.

Thanks again mate,

rob

robin
11-08-2013, 09:31 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from WeirdBits on August 10, 2013, 18:03
Robin, as Gav has you sorted I'm not sure this will be of any help, but according to the Tonerider 2007 catalogue (http://www.tonerider.com/images/news/Tonerider_Nov2007.pdf) (page 5), the latest I could find, the Vintage and Blues sets are spaced at 52.4mm (or were in 2007).

I've got a set of Pure Vintage Toneriders waiting for one of my ST builds, although it will have a 54mm bridge so the string spacing will be a little different over the pups.

Thanks Scott, I appreciate any advice I can get. I searched for ages on the Net and be blowed if I could find any detailed specs regarding size. So your info is very valuable, not sure it's exactly what I wanted to hear but valuable none the less.

As I mentioned in the reply to Gav, I was intending to buy some Toneriders for a future build anyway, so they will not be going to waste however it turns out.

Cheers mate
rob

Gavin1393
11-08-2013, 10:24 AM
The tone riders will fit perfectly......

robin
11-08-2013, 12:03 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on August 10, 2013, 19:24
The tone riders will fit perfectly......

Now, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks Gav.

The mate I got the original Fenders from had a listen to the ST-1 and he was fairly impressed for a $100 guitar. Can't wait to hear what the Toneriders are like. I will have my original (all standard) ST-1 to make a direct comparison.

Cheers Guys
rob

Gavin1393
11-08-2013, 05:34 PM
I Really rate the Toneriders highly. Great value for money.

robin
12-08-2013, 06:28 AM
Hopefully Gav, in a week or so I will be able to confirm your opinion. :D

rob

Gavin1393
12-08-2013, 08:28 AM
I'm not even frightened! :) Had some mates who are serious guitar players round yesterday...they got stuck on my Teleca....err, one of my 'F' style guitars (in case Adam is lurking?) that has StewMac "Golden Age" Pups in it...They also loved the Rio Grande's and the City Limits....