PDA

View Full Version : Stewmac Group buy?

stan
09-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Hey Adam, what are the chances of organising a group buy with Stewmac?
That way some of us budding builders can band (pun intended) together for negotiating either better prices or cheaper shipping from The States.

It would have to be organised carefully though - I've been on other forums where they have worked wonderfully well, and others where they have been hopeless.

Alternatively, perhaps there are a few things we all would like (fret files, or even pickups or something), so perhaps we could get a bunch at the same time, or a PBG bulk order - those in could pay a non refundable initial deposit which helps ensure following through....

Just a thought, and apologies if it has been discussed before and has been put down

DanMade
09-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Sounds like a good idea, but like you say it would have to be carefully Organized.

You can get good quality fret and nut files and other great tools from ALS. http://luthierssupplies.com.au/ for a reasonable price and fast delivery.

Gavin1393
09-08-2013, 10:00 AM
This has been discussed to the point where SM were approached to offer a better dea for PBG clients. they declined this stating that they are strictly retail and that their discount offer is stated where folk do buy in bulk. However, it would not be fair for us as members on the site to expect PBG to finance and pay for a multitude of tools and stuff and to have these available to us at 'the discounted' prices. there are storage and financing costs in doing this and no business will remain in business for very long if it makes no profits. As such, PBG had to walk away from this idea. This really means that the deal on offer from SM is a good one on its own. DB and I can attest to this as we have bought almost their entire catalogue.
There is a local Aussie business whose name is mentioned in our forum somewhere who has bought stock from SM but their prices are just so much higher than SM that I would rather still buy direct from SM.
If I can make a suggestion that if there is stuff you are after that you hook up with other members on the forum from your area and that collectively you order from SM.
If PBG were to do this you would still have to pay postage costs from PBG which is another layer of costs on top of the costs of the items and the SM charges.

adam
09-08-2013, 12:41 PM
What Gavin said. I'd like to support this, but as Gav said, we already approached SM and they weren't that keen to lose any retail business.

We will get into tools, but not for a while.

We've got bodies (available now)
Some necks will be here next week
Neck blanks to come later
Pick ups (DB and I are working on an order, they're Chinese, but probably GFS quality)
Parts
Tools

Be patient my friends

dingobass
09-08-2013, 01:25 PM
Wot Adam and Gav said!

Gavin1393
09-08-2013, 02:32 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from dingobass on August 8, 2013, 22:25
Wot Adam and Gav said!

Copy cat. ...err... CopyDingo?

stan
09-08-2013, 11:29 PM
thanks for the replies guys, I understand how difficult these things can be. Looks like it has been well considered.

looks like there is a place in Australia for a fairly priced tools supplier...

thanks for the link Dan

Gavin1393
10-08-2013, 01:02 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from stan on August 9, 2013, 08:29
thanks for the replies guys, I understand how difficult these things can be. Looks like it has been well considered.

looks like there is a place in Australia for a fairly priced tools supplier...

thanks for the link Dan

The Hancock brothers (Dane and Sean) are really good, honest, down to earth fellows too!

stan
10-08-2013, 01:14 AM
Thanks Gav, do you have a link or website?

Gavin1393
10-08-2013, 02:43 AM
It's the same company that Dan commented on - was just endorsing them!

/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from DanMade on August 8, 2013, 18:23
ALS. http://luthierssupplies.com.au/

stan
10-08-2013, 03:15 AM
cool thanks, dont mind me, oldtimers disease