PDA

View Full Version : finishing neck with azura lagoon

dennismarkovic
09-08-2013, 08:43 AM
Im painting my LP-1 in azura lagoon with silver highlights and want to paint the neck the same and was wandering if I have to use the deep colour, then the base, highlights then the satin and finaly the neck top coat or would that be to many coats on the neck.

Gavin1393
09-08-2013, 08:55 AM
The only thing you really need to consider is the effect on your action that so many coats will have. Wipe them on very thinly but obviously do enough thin coats to get the depth of colour you want. Azure lagoon does tend towards being a pitch patchy if you dont apply it evenly. So be mindful of this. Not sure i'd be putting highlights on the neck though.

dennismarkovic
09-08-2013, 09:04 AM
I wasn't to sure about the highlights on the neck ether, thanks

dingobass
09-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Hey Dennis,
For the best results, sand the neck up to 200 grit....
Then apply two or three deep colour coats, leaving each coat for at least 48 hours. DON'T steel wool between the deep colour coats!
When you are ready to apply the base coat, give it a light rub with steel wool.
Again, two or three coats of the base should do the trick and DO give each coat a light rub before applying the next.
Leave the neck coats to cure for a few days then apply the neck top coats, again two or three light coats should be enough. ( remember to give each coat 48 hours to cure and steel wool between coats)

dennismarkovic
09-08-2013, 08:21 PM
thanks dingo, another question I had was should I be using the brush for the neck or should I be rubbing it in?

Gavin1393
09-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Hi Dennis

Given the number of coats i'd be rubbing it in. The brush gives a much thicker coat. All but one of my guitar necks have been painted by rubbing the Wudtone onto the neck.

dennismarkovic
10-08-2013, 05:31 AM
Thanks Gav, the neck was my main concern but you guys have given some good advice, thanks heaps.

dennismarkovic
11-08-2013, 07:36 AM
Hey Dingo you say I should apply two to three deep colour coats on the neck can the same be done on the body? I would like to get as dark a tone as I can.