PDA

View Full Version : Beatle Bass Construction

Bass Guy
06-08-2013, 12:30 AM
A little bit of video enlightenment from Hofner:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyFhRoi188E

robin
06-08-2013, 01:34 AM
Eliot, I know I'm going to get howled down for this, and its all subjective, but I actually don't like the sound or the look of the Hofner basses. But man, I am impressed. I had no idea that a "mass" produced instrument was still hand built by craftsman, many of them using hand tools. Great insight into the integrity of Hofner.

If not for 'sir' Paul, I wonder if they would be so popular. And please don't get me started on the whole rock star/sports star/actor knighthood thing.

rob

pablopepper
06-08-2013, 02:41 AM
Great vid. Awful music.

Bass Guy
06-08-2013, 07:52 AM
My apologies- I should have added the disclaimer "mute your speakers"! Woeful stuff.

Hofner did a video of how they make violins and violin bows, and that one is extraordinary! Link below, and the music is far nicer...

Hofner Strings and Bows Production

via McTube for iPhone/iPad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY5qC42MO0k

Bass Guy
06-08-2013, 07:53 AM
@Robin, you will hear no howls from me. Taste is subjective, after all.

Oddly I have found Hofner 500/1 basses to be superb for (wait for it!) reggae... Who knew???

And I concur, if not for some impoverished lefty scouse git in the early 60s, they would be consigned to the curiosity corner....

Fretworn
06-08-2013, 09:06 AM
McCartney only ever used them because they were cheap and he wouldn't use hire purchase to get instruments like John and George used to get their Gretsch and Rickenbackers. He described them a "dinky little basses" with bad intonation.

pablopepper
06-08-2013, 09:51 AM
Wow. I didn't think I'd enjoy that second video anywhere near as much as I did. Unbelievable attention to detail.

dingobass
06-08-2013, 10:30 AM
They are a mongrel to intonate, but once you get it right they are a really fun Bass to play.
Sound wise? I like that hollow body boominess!
Just wish they were full scale.......

Bass Guy
06-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Now there's a project for you, DB...a full scale Hofner replica in 34" scale length....