PDA

View Full Version : Learn from my mistakes

todd_sh
03-08-2013, 12:50 AM
So, as posted in my build diary (http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=449.1) I've made a few mistakes finishing, so wanted to pass it on so others hopefully don't make the same mistakes:

Here's what I've learnt:

1. Sand properly the first time.
2. Then as DB says - sand, sand and sand some more
3. Sand some more
4. Sand a little bit more
5. If you're going to try to make a custom colour (say goldenrod, with saffron to darken/warm it a little) do one of the following:

- Either mix the colours at the outset and use the same liquid for each coat
or
- If you sand anything back at any point, start with the first colour you used, and then only add the darker colour in later.

Otherwise you end up with dark patches in the area you fixed ... and you have to sand again and start again!!

keloooe
03-08-2013, 12:53 AM
Hey, mistakes make you human, they are very easy to learn from!

wokkaboy
03-08-2013, 12:57 AM
Hey Todd, don't stress, all builders go through this process and hopefully they learn from their mistakes again ! Thats why your next build you will have this knowledge and continue to improve !
Good luck with your next build, I'm sure it will be sanded to a 3/4 size body ! haha

todd_sh
03-08-2013, 02:51 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on August 2, 2013, 09:57

Good luck with your next build, I'm sure it will be sanded to a 3/4 size body ! haha

hahahah!

wokkaboy
03-08-2013, 03:08 AM
slight exageration Todd but you will have much more idea how much sanding is required next build before a drop of wudtone touches the body. Run a damp cloth over and run your hands over it, you can feel the marks and bumps