PDA

View Full Version : Which glue for neck?

Andyport
02-08-2013, 02:28 AM
I'm at the stage in my build now of gluing in the neck.
There is always mention on the forum about using "Titebond" or hide glue.
This is all very well if you live in a major city where you have numerous choices, but in small country city that has only Home Hardware and Mitre 10, what can I safely use to do a decent job that will hang on?
Have inquired at both stores and other than the obvious range of various "Aquadhere", I have found "Gorilla Wood Glue" and a glue called "Weldbond". Does anyone know if either of these is OK to use?

Here's a link to their websites:
http://gorillaglue.com.au/eng/glues/glue-list/1/3/gorilla-wood-glue.html

http://www.weldbond.com/wood_carpentry

Thanks Guys

Gavin1393
02-08-2013, 03:14 AM
Forget Gorilla glue....it is a PVA.
I could not find any decent information on Weldbond as to what makes it up and hence would be reluctant to use it.

The simple reason we recommend Titebond or a Hide Glue is this, you may need to remove the neck one day and the best way to do this is with a glue that will let you. Otherwise you may as well throw the guitar away. Not comforting to know when you are gluing up your first ever neck and there is a chance that you get this wrong and never get to play your creation.

Titebond is a high-quality aliphatic resin emulsion adhesive. It dries very rapidly to give a short clamp time and has high solvent-resistance. Under heat and steam it will release it's incredible hold on wood. The same applies to hide glue.

So whilst I appreciate that you live in the remote area's. Is there anything that stops you from clicking on this link below which will provide you with enough Aliphatic glue to get that neck sorted? I'm told they are able to deliver almost anywhere in Australia and they ship their glue for free! ;)

http://pitbullguitars.com/?product=pit-bull-guitars-luthiers-choice-set-neck-glue-10ml

Gav

Andyport
02-08-2013, 04:22 AM
Haaaaa...point taken Gav.
Only I was hoping to get it done this weekend, thats all.
Think I can hear you saying something about "planning ahead"....not leaving it to the last minute!!
But would have thought I could have got Titebond or similar from here...ooh well
Once again...thanks for your help, cheers.

Gavin1393
02-08-2013, 04:30 AM
/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/Quote from Andyport on August 1, 2013, 13:22
Think I can hear you saying something about "planning ahead"....not leaving it to the last minute!!
But would have thought I could have got Titebond or similar from here...ooh well

Now that you read my mind I don't have to say a thing! ;)

Andyport
02-08-2013, 05:18 AM
Hey Gav....Just ordered 2 of the PitBull glues.
Got the ES-1GT to build next...nothing like planning ahead, hey ;)

Gavin1393
02-08-2013, 05:32 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Andyport on August 1, 2013, 14:18
Hey Gav....Just ordered 2 of the PitBull glues.
Got the ES-1GT to build next...nothing like planning ahead, hey ;)

...only if you have already planned your trip to buy the magic 5mm hose to thread the pots and the jack through the 'f' hole....which you will soon realise why it is so named if you haven't! ;)

Andyport
02-08-2013, 05:39 AM
As you're the owner of that method, I believe I need to pass on a dollar for the privilege!
At least there will be no control cavity shielding for the pot lugs to short out on. :D