PDA

View Full Version : Mike Bs HB-4 build

bergstrom.mike
27-07-2013, 12:18 PM
ordered my kit on Monday....taking months to get here :P

original idea was Azure Lagoon in a burst with lighter and darker of the AL. Spoke with Andy from Wudtone about how to do that. Ordered my stain from BYOGuitar and then yesterday went out and bought some of the tools of the trade, sandpaper, steel wool, containers for stain, masking tape, etc.

Also bought a sample slab of basswood ( amazing how the Home Depot lumber guys know nothing about wood ) for testing some stain technique.

My second build was going to be Amaranthine with gold highlights, I was looking around the internet and found some gold hardware for the HB-4 style bass....got me thinking. How would a purple Beatle Bass with gold highlights and gold hardware look?

And now I am thinking this should be my first build!

Thanks very much to DB and Adam for answering patiently all my insane questions, first class, mates!

Maybe when my daughter ( a college freshman ) graduates, I will move to Oz and become a Dingobass disciple!

More to come if my damn bass ever arrives! ;)

adam
27-07-2013, 01:33 PM
So... it's going to be Azure Lagoon? Or Amaranthine? I'm confused. I am looking forward to this build though. You've built the tension Mike, you better deliver...

bergstrom.mike
27-07-2013, 01:38 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on July 26, 2013, 22:33
So... it's going to be Azure Lagoon? Or Amaranthine? I'm confused. I am looking forward to this build though. You've built the tension Mike, you better deliver...

Going with the Amaranthine and gold hardware! Just bought that tailpiece I showed you and looking at the other gold hardware.

As for expectations, I have never done any aspect of this before, so I am scared to death that I will crash and burn painfully and totally. What the heck, though, let's roll.

gavinturner
27-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Good luck Mike. Sounds like a great project.

Cheers,
Gavin.

robin
28-07-2013, 02:52 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from bergstrom.mike on July 26, 2013, 22:38

As for expectations, I have never done any aspect of this before, so I am scared to death that I will crash and burn painfully and totally. What the heck, though, let's roll.

G'day Mike,

Been there, done that. Like you, I was totally unprepared, and had no idea what I was getting myself into. The first build can be quite daunting, but just take your time, don't rush, check out the help on the forums and ask heaps of questions. Remember, there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers.

I am now on my 4th build and loving every minute of it.

The sense of satisfaction and accomplishment when you finish your first guitar is just amazing. The only thing better is when you can't put it down because you love playing it so much.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

cheers
rob