PDA

View Full Version : Two-tone sunburst idea

Bass Guy
24-07-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi all,

I have a HB-4S on backorder (which reminds me, I must pay for it!) and I am looking to try a two-tone sunburst.

To achieve an approximation of the attached burst, what colours would folks recommend? I am thinking Dark Tease and Goldenrod??
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/jf805-image.jpg

keloooe
24-07-2013, 10:21 AM
centre- Goldenrod fo sho
outer- looks to be a 3 tone, probably try a mix of Dark Tease and BMW, with the outer layer getting thinner each time and adding more BMW???

Bass Guy
24-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Maybe even Colombian Gold instead of Dark Tease?

keloooe
24-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Maybe!
You can try to use WeirdBits' idea for his burst with your Hofner!

dingobass
24-07-2013, 11:23 AM
ARRRRRRRRRG! Are you guys trying to give me a heart attack? :)
You do realise that you will have to answer to Miss Fiona?.......

WeirdBits
24-07-2013, 11:37 AM
I'm actually planning a 'burst similar to that on one of my kits, Goldenrod and Columbian Gold... with maybe an intermediate third colour to help with the transition. I will actually be doing a kit in Dark Tease and another kit in Columbian Gold first to get used to the colours and how they apply and develop before deciding which to use when attempting the burst with Goldenrod.

From what I've seen so far, I suspect that Columbian Gold will work best with the Goldenrod as I think it will be more controllable and consistent when doing the transition, and be capable of producing that really dark almost black chocolate colour on the outside edge... but I'm only guessing at the moment. I hope to start the Dark Tease kit in a few days and the CG kit shortly after that (maybe), so then I'll have a better idea of how those colours work.

As far as using a third intermediate colour to help with the transition, I was thinking that Mahogany could maybe work (just the base coat perhaps), or maybe just a blend of the outside colour with Goldenrod... if the colours actually mix. What I do know is that Black Magic Woman doesn't mix with Goldenrod into a usable intermediate colour, at least not one that I was happy with.

wokkaboy
25-07-2013, 02:19 AM
Hey Bass Guy,
I'd probably steer away from 3 colours, its very fidly. I'd recommend whatever is darker out of columbian gold and dark tease and golden rod centre would look great. I'd think CG is darker than dark tease but may be wrong. I have used CG and its a fantastic colour with gold highlights. You may need a dark tint to achieve the colour of the outer burst of the photo you posted.
Sure DB can recommend what outer colour to use as he's the wudtone man and has built a HB-4