PDA

View Full Version : Quick Start Guide

adam
23-07-2013, 11:37 AM
One of the rare criticisms we get here at Pit Bull Guitars is that there are no "Instructions" in the box when customers receive their kit.

There's a reason for this, but from our customers perspective (especially those who've never dabbled in this area), I think it would be great if we could have a "Quick Start Guide" in the box. Some basic instructions that apply to every kit we sell.

For example:

1. Doing a mock build
2. Sanding
3. Finding and treating glue spots and other flaws
4. Choosing the right finish
Etc...

Now that we've got this amazing Community, I think it would be cool to develop this Quick Start Guide together.

Fortunately, we've already got Gav's excellent "How To" threads as a starting point. So, we just need some ideas as to what goes in a "Quick Star Guide" and what doesn't. It would nice if it was on a single page, so as not overwhelm the average "newbie".

The Pit Bull Guitars team is severely stretched and we just don't have the time to manage this. So, if someone wanted to take on the coordination of this Community project, we will happily support and reward them.

So, who's up for it?

keloooe
23-07-2013, 11:43 AM
Not me, but this sounds like a great idea, I was pretty confused as to what to do at the start of my build!

Gavin1393
23-07-2013, 12:21 PM
Hi Adam,
I am happy to do this project given that it will be a précis of what I have already done. I would like to get the community thoughts on what they feel is important to be in this document.
I will await your and their thoughts on this?

Something like this would be my thought with links to the forum and some pertinent forum topics.

Beginning and managing your Build
If you keep the following in mind from the start you will be less likely to encounter issues that will delay you finishing your build. This is true no matter which kit you ultimately decide on, which finish you opt for (Pit Bull Guitars recommend Wudtone) or your choice of hardware and other components.
1. Unpack the kit and check that you have the correct guitar, correct parts and item quantities. Importantly, noting which screws go with each component or part of the guitar as this is a common mistake for first time builders.
2. Prepare a mock build of your new kit, testing all the major components like the neck fitting into the body neck cavity and placing the bridge into its position. Check the pick guard, pickups, and the tuners will fit properly!
3. DB's mantra is Sand, sand, sand again. When you think you have sanded enough, sand it some more:)
4. Finish the body and neck wood surfaces first and allow the Wudtone or other paint to cure and harden properly before finally assembling the guitar. This is a process that if you are patient will reap the reward of a sensational finish.
5. Do the shielding of the pickup cavities, switch, volume and tone control cavities as applicable.
6. install the neck, tuners and bridge first, only then proceed to wiring up the electronic components. Install the pick guard. Ensure you install grounding wires from the bridge to the pots, between the pots, switch (only if necessary) and the output Jack.
7. the final step being to put on the strings and set up and adjust string heights, intonation, action, pickup heights and refining of the nut.

keloooe
23-07-2013, 12:45 PM
dont forget the tools needed!!!
Also Gav, the final part of DB's mantra is not to sand it some more, but "give it to your wife to sand!"
Hmmmmm.... I wonder if Ani wants to sand the StratoPester....

phloggy
23-07-2013, 11:35 PM
I'd like to see a recommended wiring diagram included in the box, even if it's just a link to a web page. I know you're starting to get a bit kit-specific here, but I'm having a devil of a time trying to figure out which goes where on the PRS-1S.

Brendan
24-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Gav,
Other thing is to encourage people to put up a build diary - that way help from people like yourself and DB, etc, etc, etc are only a couple of keystrokes away...

dingobass
24-07-2013, 11:18 AM
Great stuff Gav, I think you have covered it very well.
My only suggestion is to trim it down to less words, remember you are dealing mainly with blokes here and us blokes are not very good at reading instructions :D ..... Hmmmm, maybe we should give it to Miss Fiona to edit?

keloooe
24-07-2013, 11:49 AM
Instructions + Miss Fiona = Bloke-friendly instructions

Gavin1393
24-07-2013, 02:08 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from keloooe on July 23, 2013, 20:49
Instructions + Miss Fiona = Bloke-friendly instructions

She has had lots of practice with DB!

wokkaboy
25-07-2013, 12:06 AM
yes I'm guilty of not reading instructions and have been told off by Miss Fiona !
It's just how most blokes are, start the project and maybe read the instructions after !!

adam
28-07-2013, 02:10 AM
Good people, I've made a start on our Quick Start Guide. You can review at the link below. You can probably even edit it, but I'd suggest posting your proposed edits in this thread before altering the document.

I want to keep this at two pages, so there's not a lot of room to add stuff. Remember, the main point of this is to reassure customers that there are instructions available, on the site. We want people to go to the Forum for help, especially Gavin and DB's excellent "How to build your Pit Bull Electric Guitar" thread.

So, let me know what you think we've missed or what should be removed.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jmgJf9m8H4bE25jlUYPcmDcxs_ZE2z3eTj4pGacAEu4/edit?usp=sharing

keloooe
28-07-2013, 02:30 AM
Forgot the other Tele kits, forgot the SG vid, forgot the Strat vid, RC-1 wiring is the same as the LP (ya forgot that!), PBG-2 wiring is the same as the LP-1 wiring, not the EX-1, FV-1 has 2 volumes and 1 tone, not 1 volume 1 tone... other than that the whole guide is great Adam!

Gavin1393
28-07-2013, 08:50 AM
Hi Adam, you have me down as Gavin 1939!!! The builders will naturally assume that I'm older than..... Actually I won't be rude to AJ!

jase
28-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Quick start guide is a great idea. You seem to have everything covered.

adam
29-07-2013, 01:46 AM
Sorry Gav, Jameson's induce dyslexia. I'll be sure to fix that.

While I've got you, the only part I've done differently to your instructions, is that I suggest wiring the pickups before attaching the neck and pickups. Is there are specific reason you had it the other way around?

adam
08-08-2013, 10:15 AM
Gav, for some reason I missed your earlier post in this thread saying you would like to do this. If that's still the case, maybe you can have a go and give me your Word version. Then, I'll dress it up with graphics and illustrations. Then we'll put it back to the Forum and see what everyone thinks (or if there are any edits needed). How does this sound?

keloooe
08-08-2013, 10:23 AM
For my LP I clamped the neck in and adjusted to fit and drilled everything from there, then when i was ready, everything was lined up and it was a breeze!

Gavin1393
08-08-2013, 01:38 PM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from adam on July 28, 2013, 10:46
Sorry Gav, Jameson's induce dyslexia. I'll be sure to fix that.

While I've got you, the only part I've done differently to your instructions, is that I suggest wiring the pickups before attaching the neck and pickups. Is there are specific reason you had it the other way around?

No particular reason for doing it my way. Probably better to do it your way just thinking about it. Would certainly stop me bashing the neck against the compressor in my electronics bay!

Gavin1393
08-08-2013, 01:39 PM
Yes, still keen to do this. I thought we had it pretty much done at first attempt. I'll redo it in Word.....

adam
08-02-2014, 06:10 AM
With many thanks to Gavin, we've finally got a Draft Quick Start Guide.

This is not an Instruction Manual, just something out of the box to get builders heading in the right direction. Obviously there's many mentions of the Forum, where most of the knowledge is now stored.

I was hoping you regulars could have a look and give me your constructive feedback.

I want to keep it to 4 pages so its an A3 double sided "booklet".

I was hoping to print some on Monday, so if you've got any feedback it would be great to receive it by Sunday night.

Thanks.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/quickStartGuide.pdf

keloooe
08-02-2014, 06:31 AM
Ads, it's really good for any newbies who have no idea what to do so it's a thumbs up from me!

WeirdBits
08-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Looks good and is an appropriate starting point for new builders.
Notes:
I would suggested modifying section 3 (Sanding) to mention the importance of working through the grits to ensure all machine marks and scratches are rmoved, as I suspect many builders will think they know how to sand and not bother looking at the video.
The opening section suggests following the 'Community' link on the website, and then suggests it again with more detail at the start of the Instructions section... which maybe feels slightly cumbersome, sort of doubling up. Perhaps it would be better to have it consolidated in one section at the start of the 'Instructions' part, as I think the importance of a build diary is emphasised with the idea that other forum members can help answer questions and spot errors/issues etc
The 'Shielding' section statement 'This will eliminate poor grounding or any interference from your guitar.' is perhaps a little too definitive...maybe something more like 'will aid in minimising hum and external interference with your guitar's signal'.
Maybe mention in the Shielding/Wiring section that some wiring may not be possible until other aspects of assembly is completed, like with set necks etc.
The Mock Build section may also benefit from mentioning that test fitting all parts allows errors/problems to be found and corrected before the finish goes on.

adam
08-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Hey thanks WierdBits, great feedback, happy to make all those edits.

And thanks keloooe, glad to have your seal of approval. Please call me Adam, not Ads... sorry, but I'm old fashioned that way.

adam
08-02-2014, 09:26 AM
And here's version 2.1 with WeirdBits feedback addressed.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/QSG.pdf

dingobass
08-02-2014, 10:11 AM
This looks really good Adam. Big thanks to the Gavmeister for his input and to Weirdbits for his suggestions.
Maybe you could add a foot note telling our customers that if they dont read the instructions they will be told off by Miss Fiona... scary thought.... I am sure Woks will concur with me on that :)

adam
08-02-2014, 10:18 AM
I think a Photo of Miss Fi at the end, wagging her finger, with the caption "read the bloody instructions", could be the closer we need... see if she's up for it.

adam
08-02-2014, 10:18 AM
I think a Photo of Miss Fi at the end, wagging her finger, with the caption "read the bloody instructions", could be the closer we need... see if she's up for it.

dingobass
08-02-2014, 10:23 AM
Bwahahahahahahaha! Gold... pure gold...

gavinturner
08-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Nice to see my photo in there! :)

Adam, it's a great getting started guide. My only comment would be that when you refer to a forum thread in the document, it needs to be really easy to find. To this end you could name the exact location of the post (eg. which section) to make it easier to find. Even better, I would copy those important threads into the "How to Build your Pitbull Guitar" section and make them sticky topics at the top of the section. That way there is no digging involved, especially as time goes on and they sink down in the listings.

cheers,
Gav.

Brendan
08-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Ads - looking good. I'd add as step 0 (IT thing) "Set yourself up with a build diary". I think this is a key element - especially for those that are still developing a case of BAS and it's littler cousin GAS (is there such a thing as UAS?). With a build diary, I've found you can save yourself a whole bunch of heartache as there's generally someone around who can help stop you from making a monumental stuffup. At very least (assuming you have a perfect build), it's nice to have some reassurance that you are doing things well. Finally, I find it also encourages you to keep tabs on the forum and learn heaps of neat tricks that smart little cookies have come up with.
My 2c worth!

adam
08-02-2014, 10:52 PM
Thanks Gavin and Brendan, I think I've addressed your feedback in this version.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/pdf/QSG.pdf

WeirdBits
09-02-2014, 12:09 AM
Looks pretty good to me. The only thing I noticed is in section 7 'Stringing Up and Intonation' it states '...(see "Truss Rod Adjustment" on the forum)...' but doesn't specify where that thread/post/section is etc. (I think it is actually embedded in the intonation section of Gav's How To without a separate title/post).

The other issue is, as Gav T mentioned, finding things on the forum and even within Gav B's How To, so maybe a stickied post with the title 'Quick Start links' or something like that which is locked (so only mods can post/alter it) and just has menu-style links to each section of the How To and other relevant threads/posts. And, speaking of links, rather that having long, ugly, and untidy looking URL's for links I would suggest naming the important links to match the name/title in the quick start guide, using this format:

[u r l=actual URL here]Nice tidy name for link[/url]
( ^ ^ without the spaces at the start)

ie. [u r l=http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=501.3#postid-17510]Adam's post[/url]

Which becomes this: Adam's post (http://www.pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=501.3#postid-17510)

And, please, please, please have someone fix that rogue RegEx (guess) that mangles any bolded text anytime the post gets edited or when you do a 'quote' reply and leaves that string of angle brackets, slashes and p's behind: '/<\\/p>[/<\\/p>[[ b ]]<\\/p>/]<\\/p>/'

Brendan
09-02-2014, 12:30 AM
Looks spot on Ads.

adam
09-02-2014, 01:25 AM
Thanks everyone, I got rid of the reference to Truss Rod Adjustment, I couldn't even find that thread.

I'm going to run with what we've got now and print a couple of hundred copies. Then, we can make any amendments necessary once it's been road tested and we have some customer feedback.