PDA

View Full Version : Jarosite. 5 string Bass

glenno3228
18-07-2013, 08:54 AM
Be careful what you wish for. The new kit arrived on Monday but I had a few things on and didnt get to check it put until yesterday. It seems there is a bit of a run on with these IB5 basses and here is another one.

Firstly, the name.

I'm sticking with the local surf breaks theme again and given this one is going to be done in dark tease, I thought I'd go with Jarosite as the name. Jarosite is a mineral once mined at an old mine West of Bells Beach that we ride the mountain bikes through occasionally. The mine is roughly alogned to a surf break nearby that shares the name. Part of the ride is through natural timberland with glimpses of the ocean. It's the timberland that gives this axe it's name.

The kit. I. QA'd the kit and there were a half dozen or so minor knocks on the body, the neck is a very loose fit that I'll need to sort out and there is some glue spotting but at this stage all else appears ok.

Thanks to previous posts, I tried the wet tissue and iron trick to fill out the dents, this worked a treat so it was off to the garage for sanding.

The last shots show the sanding progress. Im still on the 180 at this stage but with aging the paper is probably at 240 now anyway. To get the dust out of the deep grain I use the trusty compressor with a fine tip blower. It does a great job and will ensure that beatiful dark tease gets in deep.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/6z2v8-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/tg79x-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/2sf5y-image.jpg

glenno3228
18-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Forget to close out the opening comment, be careful what you wish for. I've been happily between jobs for last few months and generally enjoying my down time after 30 years with one company. I figured that it was time to look for a new role and appear to have landed one. :) . So the build process I had lined up that would see Winki and Jaro running back to back on an almost daily basis will now likely be slowed to a couple of hours a weekend between other activities. :(

glenno3228
20-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Sanding completed and first base coat of Dark Tease applied. Damn this wudtone is good stuff.

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/cd43f-image.jpg
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/d72j9-image.jpg

wokkaboy
20-07-2013, 02:32 AM
wow Glenn, dark tease really suits the colour of the grain, 1 coat that looks amazing. Yes we all rave about wudtone for a good reason !

adam
20-07-2013, 08:16 AM
Wow, these basses look so good with Wudtone. I know these are going to be popular and I do have more coming early August. However, I'd recommend hanging out for the Ash ST, TL and EX kits coming in September.

Bass Guy
20-07-2013, 10:00 AM
Yummy!!

robin
20-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Already looking good Glenn. Going to be a stunning bass when finished.

I am just amazed how nice these Ash bodies are.

rob

glenno3228
20-07-2013, 09:21 PM
Couldn't agree more re the choice of wood here. Can't see myself getting another basswood kit after working with this.

Gavin1393
20-07-2013, 11:09 PM
Drool!!!! And I have one hanging in the mancave! That Dark Tease looks the business!

glenno3228
21-07-2013, 12:21 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from Gavin1393 on July 20, 2013, 08:09
Drool!!!! And I have one hanging in the mancave! That Dark Tease looks the business!

And I'm saving the best angle for later shots with the camera rather than phone.

While I've got your attention Gav, I'm having a neck weekend. With 2 in flight I'm bundling the process and am wondering what finish, if any, to put on the finger boards. The Tele is maple and I was thinking maybe colortone lemon oil? Whilst the rosewood bass I was thinking color tone fretboard finishing oil which Stewmac suggest isn't good for finished maple?

Thoughts and opinions welcomed.

glenno3228
06-04-2014, 04:36 AM
Hi all,

It's been a long time between drinks but having just finished the Tele kit off, I dug the bass out from under the stairs and have started the pre assembly.

Very happy with the colour and finish at this stage and will post some shots soon. I have hit a hurdle though.

The plastic pot cover doesn't stand a whelks chance in a supernova of fitting. Taking measurements of the routed hole for the pots, it spans 123mm front to back, and 84mm top to bottom. By a strange coincidence, this is almost exactly the same measurements as the holes drilled in the plastic cover that barely covers the hole.

I've spun the cover back and forth in the hope that there somewhere for screws to get some purchase but it's not going to happen.

Any thoughts from the brains trust or do I need to suck it up and buy a sheet of plastic and get shaping?

The second issue for Adam's awareness, is that the hole for the jack is longer than the thread on the jack itself so I'll have to reshape that with a dreamer or chisel. Not sure if other 5 string basses have had these issues but if so maybe check the QA.
http://www.pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/o358h-image.jpg

wokkaboy
08-04-2014, 12:50 AM
Hey Glenn, I built an IB5 a while ago but my control cover was just big enough to cover the cavity but the cavity isn't recessed for the cover, so I got a dremel out recessed it. Depends if you are going to recess the cover but if the cover is the same size as the cavity looks like you will need to order a sheet of perspex and cut a slightly bigger cover. Your cavity looks a bit too big I'd say, the cover size shouldn't vary

quiet1_au
08-04-2014, 11:05 AM
On my Ibanez - a 4-string SoundGear but pretty much the same layout - the cover is considerably larger and recessed with a decent ledge for it to sit on (as well as having metal thread inserts for the bolts, graphite shield, etc. Not sure how feasibly it is, but if the holes were in the middle of the flat edges rather than the corners you'd probably have enough wood to screw into, then find some way to plug the original holes?

glenno3228
09-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Thanks guys. I like the idea of the recessed cover so I think it's off to the green shed for some kit and a dremel. ;)