PDA

View Full Version : Bens Old ST-1

Benj
16-07-2013, 02:06 AM
OK while I’ve been applying the finish to the PBG-1, which is coming along nicely, I actually pulled out the old ST-1 kit that I initially bought, put some paint on, then put away into the big box of accumulated guitar junk.

Found a few bits and pieces to go on it, shaped the headstock, wired up a DiMarzio Super Distortion, and I present my new little workhorse:

ST-1 Kit, finished in classic workhorse tradition of acrylic paint from SupaCheap Autos, no clearcoat, just rubbed back to a satin finish (it was my first real refinish and was hurriedly done, learned my lesson), gold hardware from Guitarfetish, Dimarzio Super Dist from an old guitar and a DragonfireGuitars pickguard. Just need to get some string trees, some gold pickguard screws and a bone nut and it will be smashing. Plays really nice actually, I was almost resigned to having it as a wall hanger!

PS: Is there anyone in perth that would like to offer their services to teach me to solder? I’m not sure if it’s the tools or the tool using the tools, but I’m terrible at it! I mean I managed to wire this one up but if you have a look under the guard it is disgusting! I’m looking at doing a bass for my brothers birthday and it says Pro level soldering, which is way above me at the moment!

http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/l2tr5-1.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/3rncn-2.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/g1j2k-3.JPG

AJ
16-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Soldering is relatively easy to accomplish. Best way to learn or improve is to grab some old wire/ tin and practice, practice and then practice some more.
So to do this you will need to set aside a little bit of time , Make sure the soldering iron has a clean tip, if needs be you can file the tip to produce a clean base to go from, then heat up the iron and "tin it". That means you need to run some solder onto the hot iron tip. A good clean tip after doing that will have a shiny appearance. Have a sponge in a cap or dish of some sort and make sure is is damp. This is to help keep the soldering iron tip clean whilst you are soldering jobs together, by wiping the hot iron tip on the damp sponge.
Always "tin" the wires before attempting to make the solder joint.
you will soon get the hang of it and find it quite easy to do.

wokkaboy
16-07-2013, 02:20 AM
Hi Ben, that ST-1 modded kit looks great and love the headstock shape.

I was a terrible solderer when I started and still am ! You just need a good sharp tip on the soldering iron and make sure its reached maximum temperature and often put some solder on the tip heats it up more before you make the join.
I suggest you just practice some joins before you attempt the bass. With the correct wiring diagrams its not that difficult. Good luck !

phloggy
16-07-2013, 02:48 AM
/<\\/p>[]<\\/p>/Quote from wokkaboy on July 15, 2013, 11:20
make sure its reached maximum temperature and often put some solder on the tip

This is the most important part about soldering. You need the iron to be proper hot; if it's only just starting to melt the solder it's not hot enough yet. The solder should flow, not just melt.

You also need a good coating of solder on the tip, but not so much it's blobby and horrible. What I do is melt about 10mm of solder onto the tip, then wipe it off onto a damp sponge quickly, then give it a couple of seconds to get up to heat again.

Then it's just a matter of getting everything where it needs to be, touching where you want with the iron, touch the other side of the thing with with solder and it should just flow into place. Once you've got just enough solder slide the iron away from the thing if possible. Just be careful when you're sliding, because if the thing your soldering is springy there's the chance that molten lead can be thrown at your face, and that hurts a bit. It's also why I now solder with at least my regular glasses on, if not safety glasses.

keloooe
16-07-2013, 03:07 AM
My iron is a Micron 60w soldering iron and it has a little coating of a material that tins the iron as it heats up for the first time, all you need to do is wipe it when it starts smoking :P