PDA

View Full Version : My Kit

12-07-2013, 02:41 AM
Hi Guys! javascript:void(0);
My Name is Rick, and just decided to have a go at building a guitar. Well I got a Telecaster thinline kit the other day, all I need now is for it to stop raining so I can put some finish on .
Well it hasn't been too bad we have had about 4 good days in the last few weeks. With a few more I should be able to get it together.
Here is a pick or two of the progress so far.
Can any one tell what is the best polish to give it a rub when it is finally finished? Will post a few more photos as it gets nearer to completion.

javascript:void(0);
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/r5xw8-DSC_03201.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/8yjnt-DSC_03021.JPG
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/m3uom-DSC_03191.JPG

Gavin1393
12-07-2013, 02:53 AM
Tru-oil?

12-07-2013, 05:00 AM
Thanks Gavin.

Brendan
12-07-2013, 05:13 AM
Rick,
Guess it comes down to what you've put on so far and where you want it to go... If the amber off the top pic is a Bunnings type stain, then Tru-oil (glossy to semi gloss - see Robin's TL-1 and his IB-5) / Wudtone (flat to semi gloss) colourless may be your friend. Gut feeling, the more glossy layers over that decal, the less noticeable the clear parts of the decal will be.

May also want to get a little piece of sandpaper into the f hole cavity to smooth that off as well for those up close shots.

Overall though looks like it'll be pretty nice when finished!

12-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Yes I thought that decal was a lot clearer than it is, the finish is wudtone burning sun. I am at the stage that i just want to finish it to see how it plays.
Guess I could always assemble it then finish it later, but if I do assemble it, thats it. I'll try to be patient
Oh, another thing I was thinking was to paint (?) inside the "f" hole, any thoughts?

Brendan
12-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Painting inside the sound hole - perennial dilemna - not sure myself with my Riccy...

Decals are tricky - it can also depend on where the light is coming from and make them more evident. As for being patient - you'll have a lifetime to play the guitar, so it's worth it. Im one of a couple who are really suffering from delayed gratification (check out Hooper's SG), as we've had to sand back and start again - in the end it will be worth it though (I keep telling myself)...

Good luck!

16-07-2013, 10:44 AM
That sticker surround is never going to be unseen, unfortunately I couldn't cut it smaller as I like the water mark behind the staff, even though it is hard to see. If I make another I may not use a sticker, just leave it bare.
I saw that it was rough inside the f hole, didn't worry about it but now you have mentioned it it sure looks crook, I'll see what I can do.

Brendan
16-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Rick,
Easiest way to post photos is via the "Reply" button below. You'll nd up with a screen that has three browse buttons on the bottom. Using one of these you can then browse to your photo & add it.
Sanding inside the sound hole is a pain. I ended up with a small piece of 80 grit and one finger to sand it back - just wanted to get rid of the main lumps. Yours may be a little trickier.

AJ
17-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Here a little trick from my RC aircraft building days.. Grab a small piece of softish wood, or dowel both long enough and narrow enough to easily fit through the F hole, on the end of that, glue a piece of sandpaper to one end and there.. you have a small sanding tool to fit though the hole with enough room to see what you are doing.. no scuffed or bruised fingers that way...

17-07-2013, 03:53 AM
Thanks Brendan & Pro, yes the old stick with the sand paper is the way to go and I think I will try. We have had sun today on and off for a few hours and I think I have finished the outside. I'll leave it a day or so then start on the interior, hope I don't get cranky with it and leave it thinking it can be done any time.
Now another thing you may be able to help me with , how do you get a little pic in your profile?
Thanks again

WeirdBits
17-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Quote from Ricmo on July 16, 2013, 12:53
[...] how do you get a little pic in your profile?

Adding an Avatar to your User Profile (http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=77#postid-550)

18-07-2013, 11:54 PM
Hi WeirdBits, Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I'm still none the wiser.
But thanks any how

wokkaboy
19-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Hi Ricmo,
you have to go to gravatar.com and create a user/password and upload a photo and link the email address you use for this forum logon to the photo you uploaded

20-07-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks wokkaboy, I'll try that now.