PDA

View Full Version : Any possibility of 3/4 size bass model?

Brendan
09-07-2013, 02:06 PM
My wife has suggested that my eldest would like to learn bass guitar and at 9, I can't see her reaching the full 34" neck length of my basses. Adam is it possible to get 3/4 length basses? Otherwise, next best thing is a smaller (cheap(ish)) acoustic guitar and take the bottom two strings off :P .. (I wonder how she'd feel if it was fretless).... 8-)

WeirdBits
09-07-2013, 02:59 PM
The HB's (http://pitbullguitars.com/?product=pit-bull-guitars-hb-4-electric-bass-guitar-kit) are 30", how short do you want to go?

Bass Guy
09-07-2013, 04:43 PM
I too would recommend the HB series. They are lighter than most 3/4 basses (weight is more of a problem for the young beginner than scale length) and are close to standard scale length than most "kid basses" out there.

Mini basses like the Ibanez Mikro series strike me as a false economy as the student will grow out of it quickly, therefore necessitating the purchase of another bass before too long. Plus the student will get used to the shorter scale as the most comfortable size, making it all the more difficult for them to acclimatise to the "proper" scale length. A 30" scale length at least is closer to most other scale lengths without being too daunting.

Don't forget- Victor Wooten started on bass at the age of 2 playing a Beatle Bass copy, and he did alright for himself.... ;)

El

Brendan
09-07-2013, 10:59 PM
Hmmmmm.sounds a goer...

dingobass
09-07-2013, 11:53 PM
Yep, go the HB.
Your Daughter will be ripping it up like Sir Paul in no time as these are so light and fast to play.
And they even sound OK and loud enough when played acoustically... Perfect for the beginner! :)