PDA

View Full Version : EX-1 Mods

Scott J.
09-07-2013, 12:04 PM
EX-1 - the kit photos show the volume and tone pots mounted either side of the selector switch ... this is unlike the original Gibson Explorers which had three pots in a row and the selector switch mounted down on the "horn"

Of course to create an original-looking Explorer I'd need to obtain the appropriate scratch plate and a second tone pot and then rout out the horn for the selector switch wiring (no big problem).

However my concern would be the hole that has already been cut in the Pit Bull body for the selector switch (the middle hole) in the photos it looks considerably larger than the "pot" holes and might be too big to securely mount a pot in without an obvious "patch".

Is the selector switch hole (the middle one) still small enough to successfully mount a pot in it?

Keep on rockin'
Scott J.
http://pitbullguitars.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/6ce16-Gibson_explorer.jpg

Gavin1393
09-07-2013, 01:15 PM
From memory, the supplied pots require a hole approx 6.5 mm, the switch hole is around 10mm, maybe a little more. Since most pots are covered by a knob of some sort, a thicker shafted pot or a larger washer may well do the trick and since it will be concealed by the knob, no-one will ever know...

Brendan
09-07-2013, 01:15 PM
Scott,
Dumb questions, but what sort of finish are you looking for? If you are going for that spray on stuff, filling should be maskable. If you are going Wudtone (thumbs up), what style knobs are you going? The speed dials that came with my Riccy are ~25mm wide and would cover any patching / washers used to pack the excess hole... Not sure that helps, if not I'm sure there's someone out there that can...

wokkaboy
09-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Scott, I think Gav is correct if you get a thicker shaft pot or you may find a collar the right dimensions that fits inside the larger hole, or washer it up, the knob should cover this up.
Good luck with the build it should look more authentic with the configuration you are talking about

dingobass
09-07-2013, 11:58 PM
Yep, Gav and Woks are right. Grab yourself some CTS pots, the shaft size is 9.36mm so problem solved!
All you will need to do is drill out the other pot mount holes to 10mm and all is sweet.

Scott J.
10-07-2013, 05:11 AM
I'm looking to use the appropriate Wudtone (geez they've got some top looking finishes!) that would approximate the colour of the Korina timber of the originals (as in the picture) ... so I was hoping to be able to avoid having to use a washer or plugging and re-drilling the hole (when it comes to finicky I am a REAL pain in the arse! ... "it ain't right until its right!")

I have a handful of (polyurethane) knobs scavenged from a old busted-up Ibanez LP-copy that look almost identical to the originals but wouldn't be quite big enough to hide the gap

But the CTS pot idea solves the problem - excellent idea DB!!!

Thanks all, it just goes to show the wisdom of the ages ... "if you don't know, just ask someone else"

dingobass
10-07-2013, 07:12 AM
Burning Sun would be the closest colour, methinks...

wokkaboy
11-07-2013, 03:31 AM
Yes agreed DB that picture of the Explorer looks closest to burning sun wudtone