PDA

View Full Version : Greets

Rohan
07-07-2013, 12:53 AM
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to check in and say hello.

A few weeks ago, I started checking online to see what was out there in terms of getting a beginner guitar as I had always wanted to play and it seemed like the right time.

After a lot of research, I came across an eBay auction for a guitar kit posted by a company called "Pit Bull Guitars". Interested, I came to this website and found the most amazing place that looks to have an amazing community and a vast amount of documentation and advice for builders.

I was immediately drawn in.

What I thought to myself was, if I am going to get a guitar, why not put in the hard yards and build it myself and end up with something (hopefully :P) way superior to a complete beginner guitar?

It wasn't a hard decision to make when you can see all the beautiful units that have been posted on this website, along with the obviously welcoming and helpful community.

Anyway, I didn't win that first auction..... but I did last night! Hooray! On my way is an ST-1 Kit - It does seem to be a good kit for a first effort.

I have no doubt that it will take some effort and a good amount of time to put this baby together. But hopefully you guys can help me out with advice if I get stuck. It's been a long time since I did woodwork back at school ;)

Time to start looking at all the equipment and consumables I will need to get this party started!

Cheers,
Rohan.

Fretworn
07-07-2013, 01:37 AM
Welcome Rohan!

robin
07-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Welcome aboard Rohan.

The ST-1 is a great choice for a first up build. I also chose it as my first. I have no workshop, very limited tools and even less ability, but she turned out a beauty. Just take your time and don't be embarrassed to ask questions. We were all where you are when we started.

rob

Brendan
07-07-2013, 05:24 AM
Rohan - welcome aboard. If you haven't checked it out, Gav's How to build a Pitbull Guitar is the place to start (http://pitbullguitars.com/?page_id=42&mingleforumaction=viewtopic&t=302). A lot of hard yards went into it. I'd also recommend starting a Build Diary as I've found it invaluable as I've got going and saved me from some painful mistakes in the past. The guys on the forum that are gurus - Gav, DB, Wokka, Steve, Bass Guy (and who can forget Pest) are full of good ideas and suggestions on how to make your guitar great.

BTW - if you're looking to start learning guitar, I've found the site: www.JustinGuitar.com great (and free)!

rhay
07-07-2013, 07:10 AM
Hey Rohan, welcome.

Where in the world are you located? (no pressure to disclose, but you might have one of us nearby)

AJ
08-07-2013, 01:54 AM
BTW - if you're looking to start learning guitar, I've found the site: www.JustinGuitar.com great (and free)![/quote]

Hi Rohan and welcome aboard.
I concur of what Brendan said about the great help and expertise of the gurus here. Do checkout Justin guitar for free lessons, was recommended to me from an online friend up Sydney way.

Rohan
09-07-2013, 03:22 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

I look forward to getting it all started ;)

I live in the south of Sydney in a little area called the Sutherland Shire. Anyone else around here?

Fretworn
09-07-2013, 09:42 PM
I'm from the other side of Sydney, Hornsby area. I don't know how many other Sydneysiders there are.

Taker185
10-07-2013, 07:34 PM
I'm in the dreaded west near Blacktown.

gavinturner
11-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Welcome Rohan! I am on the central coast, so not too far away.