PDA

View Full Version : Temperature for painting

50Plus
05-07-2013, 12:05 PM
Probably more of a question for dingo... being winter, would like to know what the minimum recommended temperature would be for finishing my alder telecaster body with Wudtone Hot Auburn (high gloss)? I'm thinking 10 degrees celcius, but would welcome your'e opinion on this, as I know extremes in temperature can cause problems with some finishes.
Thanking you.. Dave.

dingobass
05-07-2013, 01:26 PM
You should be OK so long as the temp is not below freezing :)
Wudtone is a wax and oil based finish so all that will happen with low temperatures is the curing time will be longer.
My rule of thumb is if the temp is below 15 I give the finish an extra 24 hours to cure between coats.

wokkaboy
05-07-2013, 01:31 PM
yes agreed DB, allow bit more curing time, the trick is to have more than one project on the go, then there's always something to work on !
DB I'm interstate and saw a company sign DBS, I'll post a photo with an apostrophe and it will look like your company bro !

50Plus
06-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. Want to achieve best finish I can so times not a problem. Cheers Dave.

lawry
14-11-2013, 07:21 AM
OK, so the last post was 4 months ago. But I live in North Queensland and the days are around 30 degrees with reasonable humidity. I have noticed that when I use the Wudtone it dries fairly quickly before I can pull it down with the grain. And the top coats don't seem to have time to self level fully before all the brush lines can disappear. So, DB, my question is, what is the max temp you would recommend before postponing the application.

wokkaboy
14-11-2013, 07:29 AM
Hi Lawry, I hope you are ragging the wudtone on the body ? (can use a brush for neck stains though)

so are you saying it is so warm the gloss is hardening before it self levels ?

I'd experiment and try apply the gloss in the cool of later evenings or early mornings. I haven't had that problem in 40 degree Perth summers. Maybe apply the gloss a bit thinner as well, more thin coats is better than less thicker coats. You could also lye the body flat and apply gloss to one side per 24/48 hours depending if its aged or non aged gloss. Hope this helps.
Also a good tip I've been doing is leaving the newer wudtone in the fridge, it will last longer before it goes gluggy.

lawry
14-11-2013, 07:41 AM
Hey Wokks. Yeah, ragged the Wudtone, brushed the top coats. Also tried small sections on a bit of scrap to see how it went in the heat but never thought about putting the goo into the fridge first. That's a cool idea (pun intended). Might also try putting a few drops of turps in to thin it as you suggest. Thanks for the comments mate.