PDA

View Full Version : Colour suggestions for a PRS-1S

phloggy
29-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Hi All,

I've just placed an order for a PRS-1S. Unlike my guitardis build I don't really have a look that I'm going for. What colour do you reckon would work well? I want something pretty plain and "natural"; I'm not looking to do a burst, or anything too bright. I know PRS are usually quite brightly coloured, but I don't think I'm that kinda guy.

I had Amber Wudtone in the shopping cart before I started second guessing myself, but I also like the look of Dark Tease in the picture. Honey could also be an option.

So? Thoughts? Any inspirational pictures you can share?

phloggy
29-06-2013, 11:03 AM
I just saw the "suitability" chart at the bottom of the descriptions on the Wudtone colours. What determines suitability? Does it "stick" differently, or is it just the way the colour works?

Gavin1393
29-06-2013, 12:06 PM
It relates to how well the wood takes the stain....

dingobass
29-06-2013, 12:59 PM
It is all about the colour.. On a Spalted Maple top I would be tempted to go with the colourless finish, let the timber do the talking colour wise :)

wokkaboy
30-06-2013, 04:48 AM
Phloggy I built a prs1s and think any of the lighter colours would work but colorless, honey or butterscotch would work great. Why don't you wait to see the Spalted veneer and decide then? The amount of dark lines may sway your decision. Mine had fair bit of glue on the cap so be careful of that. Good luck!

phloggy
30-06-2013, 05:36 AM
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. Would it make sense to give it one deep coat of a darker colour, then sand that off, then colourless to make the grain pop a bit more?

wokkaboy
30-06-2013, 07:44 AM
Yer sure phloggy that technique could work well never tried rubbing back a darker coat but sure it would give Good results