PDA

View Full Version : Putting the PBG2 and IB7 over the pits

Bass Guy
24-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Hi all,

Both my Floyd Rose monsters are completed. Yay! However there were a couple of things I found putting them together that I thought may be worth pointing out.

The fine tuning screws on both models are very stiff. I think it might be due to the application of the black hardware finish but I have found most of the fine-tuners very difficult to manipulate once the strings are on, particularly the notorious G. Possibly pre-test these screws on the trem unit to make sure/wear in. Even lubing them may be appropriate.

Something I would definitely consider for a Floyd Rose guitar kit is supplying five trem springs instead of three. Certainly the full set of five are a necessity on the IB7, where the extra tension from the low B really makes a big difference. I initially had to set mine up tuned down a tone (DAFCGDA high to low) in order to achieve anything like the spring/string balance required. I found an extra trem spring at home which made some difference, but supplying 5 in the kit is probably the best option all round.

There are tiny Allen screws on the nut of the PBG2 to adjust nut height, but not on the IB7. I had a veritable buzzfest going on until I backed off the truss rod significantly and raised the bridge posts. I may look at shimming the IB7 nut in the future. The truss rod on the IB7 also seemed to be cranked to its tightest possible position.... Eek!

These are small and picky points, but for someone not accustomed to a Floydy guitar these niggles might be terrifying for a first timer. Still love both axes to death and can't wait to see how they play once they're used to being assembled.

El

AJ
25-06-2013, 01:37 AM
Seems strange.. I used to own a "Shadows Guitar", with the Floyd rose set-up.. it only had the 3 springs and needed replacing after a few years.. the fine tuning adjusting screws worked a treat ...you do not want them "too loose"..

Bass Guy
25-06-2013, 07:01 AM
I'm not that upset, mind you. Heck, for what I paid for each kit I would be lucky to by the authentic Floyd unit in the first place! :D it's more of a caveat for the earnest novice.

dingobass
25-06-2013, 07:43 AM
To be honest with you, Floyd Rose Trems give me the Tom tits...
Fiddly damned things.

I have set a couple up on PB guitars and found that three springs were enough....

Gavin1393
25-06-2013, 07:49 AM
I have done two....three springs are enough, but you do have to tighten the two plate screws if you need to balance the tension. The corollary is that with 5 springs you might find it a bit difficult to bend that whammy bar! :)

Bass Guy
25-06-2013, 09:50 AM
:D He he he he.... Must be my bass player hands then...